What works best? Low carb, high fat, or low calories, low fat, and no carbs?

Options
So many different diets, I am on a really tight budget for food...so I was wondering which diet worked for you best?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Eating minimal junk food and fewer calories overall in order to eat in a calorie deficit works for me.

Losing weight can save you money. Eat what you eat now, just less of it. There's no need for special foods.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It all works the same...any and all diet plans work on the same premise...calorie deficiency.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    What you eat and in what proportions comes down to personal preference and what you determine is "good enough" for you from a nutrition/ingredient quality standpoint. The key is being in a calorie deficit. I think much of what works best depends on what you're prone to indulging on. If sweets and/or breads are your vice, trying to go low or no carb will take that off the table for you; very much YMMV.

In my experience, I have the most success on a high protein (minimum 1g/lb body weight) and low-ish carbs. I also think the default MFP macro splits are low for protein and high for carbs.
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    as the old saying goes "everything in moderation". Personally though, I notice I get hungry more quickly when I eat bread so I've cut down from what I used to pack away. I try to eat more veggies instead and I feel full with those, dairy, nuts, and meat. My hubby does better with more meat and potatoes.
    It also depends too on exercise, when I was running I would have bread and peanut butter before a run, now since it's cold out and i'm doing yoga, I try to eat more lean- soups, etc. I'm Italian tho, so nobody takes my pasta! LOL
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is just the first step. Keeping the weight you lost off, is a life-long step 2.

With that in mind, I don't do "diets" anymore. Lost weight - & regained on plenty of "diets."

If you are going to eat one way (temporarily) and then switch back to regular habits when "done" the weight will come back. Whatever reduced calorie option you choose (that's all weight loss is) look for a few permanent changes along the way.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    ashlee_tx wrote: »
    So many different diets, I am on a really tight budget for food...so I was wondering which diet worked for you best?

What works best for me, might not work for the next person. And what works for another, might be completely unsustainable to me. Nobody wants to hear this, but often times finding what works is a trial and error process. Generally, if you stick to whole, minimally processed foods, lots of vegetables you are off to a good start. Find out what you need to do to minimize overeating calorie dense foods. For some, moderation works, for others, elimination and not keeping them in the house works better.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit. How you get there is up to you.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit, however you choose to get there.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    What works best?

For me....
    Low carb - hell no, that would severely limit my fruit, veg and grains.
    High fat - yuk. Sounds repulsive and dreadfully restrictive for me. Also gives me indigestion.
    Low calories - that worked for me, but only 2 days a week.
    Low fat - I could eat that way, but sufficient fat is important for health so depends on how low is low.
    No carbs - No chance, it's contrary to how I like to eat and how I like to exercise (for performance).

Now work out what works best for you and is both sustainable and enjoyable, it could simply be eating a bit less of how you are currently eating, limiting some higher calorie options, substitution of high calorie for low calorie options.....
    But have a serious think and keep in mind both the duration of your weight loss and also how you intend to maintain for life.
    It's a shame but so many people blunder into "action" before they finish (or even start) "planning".
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Calorie deficit
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    The default MFP "diet" is 50% carbs, 30% fats, and 20% protein.

It works.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Best for what?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    1. Throw out any ideas you had about what a diet is supposed to be.
    2. Get used to logging your food, just as you eat right now. Make no changes and just log for a week.
    3. Enter your stats in to MFP and find out what your calorie budget is for the day.
    4. Stay within your calorie budget.
    5. Review and adjust weekly. The big change is mental. Get used to eating enough and still lose weight.

If the goal is to stay within a calorie budget, you won't have to worry about how your diet changes affects your finances. Eating less costs less.

I follow the Canada Food Guide for nutrition. If you are in the US you can use the https://www.choosemyplate.gov/
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,277 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Logging my eating; reviewing my food diary regularly to identify things that "cost" too many calories for the tastiness, satiation or nutrition they bought me; reducing or eliminating those in favor of other foods I like that better met my goals; hitting my calorie goal most days.

Repeat, repeat, repeat, until best balance is achieved. Then, lose amount of weight desired; gradually add back calories to find weight-maintenance calorie level; thrive on at that point forever.

I've been on that last step for almost 2 years now. Seems to be going OK. ;)

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    The biggest change I've made has been eating out a lot less. If you don't eat out a lot, that strategy won't be much use. But I do think that logging is a great tool for identifying your own personal strategies. I spent a good few months logging everything before going into a deficit, and it made it really easy to pinpoint the "low hanging fruit" and where I really needed to work to adjust my eating habits. Good luck!