Let's talk Christmas Presents

Options
13»

Replies

• SneakyVee
    SneakyVee Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I’d love to see my family this Christmas.

Wonder if they have return flights to Hell yet.
  • MrSith
    MrSith Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    SneakyDees wrote: »
    I’d love to see my family this Christmas.

Wonder if they have return flights to Hell yet.
    Well I'm not sure if releases are allowed anymore.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I oooo and aahh about my Christmas gifts and thank the giver sincerely. But I'm a minimalist and generally throw all my Christmas gifts away. Candles, scented creams, bath oils, decorative scarves, cosmetics, potted plants, chocolates, bottles of wine, potpourri, fruit or herbal flavored specialty teas, tinned Christmas cookies all get thrown in the trash. The sweets are tempting but for the most part, I'm on a diet and don't eat them. I don't drink or serve alcohol in my home. I only drink traditional tea. I don't care for anything scented and buy my own parfums about which I'm very particular.

I'll keep nice warm gloves, mittens, hats or sweaters that fit me. That's about the only gifts I keep. I always thank the gift giver and feel sorry they wasted their money though (and I keep that to myself of course).

This is so me. I’ve never been a gift person. I know it makes me seem so ungrateful but I get anxiety when I have too many things. I’m a total minimalist myself. Most people know not to get me anything but my mom can’t help herself. However, she now usually gets me a gift card somewhere and we go shopping together or she gets me consumables. :smiley:
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I oooo and aahh about my Christmas gifts and thank the giver sincerely. But I'm a minimalist and generally throw all my Christmas gifts away. Candles, scented creams, bath oils, decorative scarves, cosmetics, potted plants, chocolates, bottles of wine, potpourri, fruit or herbal flavored specialty teas, tinned Christmas cookies all get thrown in the trash. .

Do you literally throw this stuff away? You could at least donate it to people who are slightly more appreciative.
  • SneakyVee
    SneakyVee Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I hate opening gifts given to me in front of the person. Why reactions are often more sincere and grateful when I’m not on display.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    We pretty much just focus on the kids...my wife and I might get something small for each other, but really, we mostly focus on our kids.

My favorite part of Christmas is the ambiance...the decorations and the tree and having a fire lit and then watching my two boys Christmas morning.

Usually my wife and I will make a big purchase of something we need around the holidays and that's our Christmas present...a couple years ago it was a much needed new bed...last year it was new living room furniture...this year, we just closed on a new house and we move in Monday before Thanksgiving, so that's our Christmas.

This year will be a little weird too as we will be in Tanzania over Christmas...trying to think of something cool, but small and packable for the kids from Santa...
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    I oooo and aahh about my Christmas gifts and thank the giver sincerely. But I'm a minimalist and generally throw all my Christmas gifts away. Candles, scented creams, bath oils, decorative scarves, cosmetics, potted plants, chocolates, bottles of wine, potpourri, fruit or herbal flavored specialty teas, tinned Christmas cookies all get thrown in the trash. .

Do you literally throw this stuff away? You could at least donate it to people who are slightly more appreciative.

Nope. I didn't ask for it, didn't expect it and didn't want it so it's not a matter of appreciation. It was actually a burden. I had to smile wide and then lug it home on the bus and the train with me so no one would see me throwing it away. I've gone many years without owning a car and during those many years that stuff went right in the trash. I considered it junk and still do so I don't feel bad about throwing it away. I had no intention of taking two buses and making a half mile trek in 5 feet of snow to the Goodwill Bin or the Salvation Army Thrift store. I only felt bad that the gift giver wasted their hard earned money. I'm not easily guilted about these matters and now that I have a car I'd probably still throw stuff like that away. My neighborhood is full of full time dumpster divers so there's that.

Let’s have tea and talk minimalism someday.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Christmas isn't what it used to be, everyone is so concerned about gifts that they forget what the true meaning of Christmas is.

Fruitcake?

A Collin Street Bakery fruitcake to myself is my gift to me.
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »

Nope. I didn't ask for it, didn't expect it and didn't want it so it's not a matter of appreciation. It was actually a burden. I had to smile wide and then lug it home on the bus and the train with me so no one would see me throwing it away. I've gone many years without owning a car and during those many years that stuff went right in the trash. I considered it junk and still do so I don't feel bad about throwing it away. I had no intention of taking two buses and making a half mile trek in 5 feet of snow to the Goodwill Bin or the Salvation Army Thrift store. I only felt bad that the gift giver wasted their hard earned money. I'm not easily guilted about these matters and now that I have a car I'd probably still throw stuff like that away. My neighborhood is full of full time dumpster divers so there's that.

Let’s have tea and talk minimalism someday.

I love when I meet minimalists who have children. I'm sincerely interested about how minimalistic habits and philosophies can be handed down generationally :smile:

I’m sincerely interested to find out too. So far my kids are hoarders and I have to force myself to leave their things alone or I’m afraid I’ll make it worse.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

I think at that point I'd tell people not to get me anything under any circumstances or to just make a donation for me as a gift. and then if they did anyway I would just tell my friend/fam Thank you but no Thank you. You said you weren't easily guilted anyways so that shouldn't be a problem, and at least it saves them money or gives them the opportunity to give it to someone else so you don't have to lug it around only to throw it away.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I buy immediate family gifts only. My niece and nephew generally get and experience to do with me instead of a material gift. We have gone to sporting events, cooking classes, escape rooms and zip lining. My niece will also do 5K Runs with me.

My brother and SIL usually get a group gift, I print out the pictures for the year and scrapbook for them, I have given them date nights when the kids were little where I would babysit and give them a gift card to a nice restaurant (kids are too old for the babysitting part) and the zip lining the year with my niece and nephew included them.

For other people, they generally get a craft and/or homemade cookies. Last year I did monogrammed RTIC Cups for everyone, granted it was just a monogram I created, but still personal. This year it is light up glass blocks with decoration.

We do enjoy the gift giving, but don't go crazy. We are a close family and have many get together for nice sit down family dinners often and Christmas is no exception.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options

I think at that point I'd tell people not to get me anything under any circumstances or to just make a donation for me as a gift. and then if they did anyway I would just tell my friend/fam Thank you but no Thank you. You said you weren't easily guilted anyways so that shouldn't be a problem, and at least it saves them money or gives them the opportunity to give it to someone else so you don't have to lug it around only to throw it away.

I did but it took then 20 years to finally listen.

The only gifts I'm expecting this year is a box of stale Russian chocolates and a jar of fruit preserve from my work pal, who's a hoarder, who can't stop himself and gives me the same exact thing every year. I think it comes from his hoarding stock at home and is decades old. Of course I'll throw it away. And a gift card toward my favorite grocery store from my other friend which I'll use. And maybe a little thing like a book of Zen Buddhist poetry from my other pal which I'll throw away. My hairdresser will give me a date/appointment book and I think I'll keep it because I don't want to calendar electronically anymore. I usually get a laminated picture of the Virgin Mary or one of the patron saints for Christmas from my other pal which I never throw away because I think that would be frowned upon spiritually. I keep them and stack them on the shelf in my closet.

As for me, I send Christmas cards and Hannuka (sp?) cards and that's all. I take my pals out to chow at a restaurant immediately before or after Christmas and pick up the tab. But I don't say it's a Christmas thing because I don't want them to feel they have to reciprocate.

lol oh god that reminds me of my step aunt who had a snickers bar I didn't recognize in her fridge............because it was from 1987 (no lie). Well it sounds like at least you got most of them to take your seriously so that's a plus.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    I oooo and aahh about my Christmas gifts and thank the giver sincerely. But I'm a minimalist and generally throw all my Christmas gifts away. Candles, scented creams, bath oils, decorative scarves, cosmetics, potted plants, chocolates, bottles of wine, potpourri, fruit or herbal flavored specialty teas, tinned Christmas cookies all get thrown in the trash. The sweets are tempting but for the most part, I'm on a diet and don't eat them. I don't drink or serve alcohol in my home. I only drink traditional tea. I don't care for anything scented and buy my own parfums about which I'm very particular.

I'll keep nice warm gloves, mittens, hats or sweaters that fit me. That's about the only gifts I keep. I always thank the gift giver and feel sorry they wasted their money though (and I keep that to myself of course).

This is so me. I’ve never been a gift person. I know it makes me seem so ungrateful but I get anxiety when I have too many things. I’m a total minimalist myself. Most people know not to get me anything but my mom can’t help herself. However, she now usually gets me a gift card somewhere and we go shopping together or she gets me consumables. :smiley:

But does she get you the "good" consumables? ;)
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I texted my ex these
    gb1r5r31tcg9.jpg

Then I said or I can smell like a *kitten*
    nrzm01pa5bvn.jpg
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Best gifts include a record player, 2 pounds of orange starburst, and my very first walkman