Weight loss and the way you wear clothes

Options
So, I had someone tell me this morning that I "hide" behind my clothes. She noticed me wearing something fitted last week and told me she was shocked by how much thinner I looked. I guess the way I wear my clothes hides my weight loss? Some of my clothes are too big because I have lost around 50 pounds (so far) and it is getting expensive to constantly replace clothes. Especially nice work wear.

I realized today that what she said is true. When I gained a lot of weight, I started buying big and baggy clothes to hide it. I suppose I still wear my clothes baggy out of habit. I feel uncomfortable wearing really fitted clothes now. It is almost like I don't see myself as a "normal" weight person no matter how much I loose. It is still hard to look at the smaller sizes and believe I will fit into them. I automatically pick up a size or two bigger than I need. I have to try EVERYTHING on before I buy it now.

For those people who have lost a significant amount of weight -- How long did it take you to get used to your new body?

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Following.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    120lbs down and I'm still not used to my body. I always pick up the Xl and L or a size 16/14 it's such a mind *kitten*.
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Still getting used to it, and it's still changing. I buy a few items every other size as it's getting expensive as I'm down more than 75lbs, and clothes that fit me a month or so ago are too big again.
  • Cicata17
    Cicata17 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Enjoy the new size and be proud of this accomplishment. I have always been fairly small in size but had a lifestyle change with medication(s) being introduced. The sedentary changes impacted my weight therefore, MFP membership happened. I had familiarity with the old/new weight regarding clothing but comments will come in general from people. I decided if I chose to answer the questions or remarks I would otherwise, I smiled and said, "Nice of you to notice" I was afraid to purchase a lot as I didn't know if I would maintain the same weight. 60 lbs lost and I have maintained but you'll get used to the new you & size. Enjoy, Enjoy, & continue to Enjoy!! Congratulations again!!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    So, I had someone tell me this morning that I "hide" behind my clothes. She noticed me wearing something fitted last week and told me she was shocked by how much thinner I looked. I guess the way I wear my clothes hides my weight loss? Some of my clothes are too big because I have lost around 50 pounds (so far) and it is getting expensive to constantly replace clothes. Especially nice work wear.

I realized today that what she said is true. When I gained a lot of weight, I started buying big and baggy clothes to hide it. I suppose I still wear my clothes baggy out of habit. I feel uncomfortable wearing really fitted clothes now. It is almost like I don't see myself as a "normal" weight person no matter how much I loose. It is still hard to look at the smaller sizes and believe I will fit into them. I automatically pick up a size or two bigger than I need. I have to try EVERYTHING on before I buy it now.

For those people who have lost a significant amount of weight -- How long did it take you to get used to your new body?

These come in handy: http://a.co/0cbfUaY
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I always did wear my clothes loose. I hate shopping, so most of my clothes date from when I was larger, sometimes much larger. Some I absolutely can't wear, some just hang from my hips instead of my waist. I wear a belt and enjoy the freedom of baggy legs. I have no idea what my current size is, since I haven't gone shopping in a couple of years. When I buy running gear, it usually isn't sized and medium works just fine. Medium fit at 175 and it fits at 120. When I see pictures of me at races, I'm always a bit surprised at how thin my legs look compared to my perception of them. But since they are usually hidden in baggy pants, that's not surprising.
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    We have a lovely consignment shop here in town. I love to find bargains there. I work in an office, so I can't just live in blue jeans. I feel you on the body image thing. It's hard to wrap my head around the fact that I'm no longer an 18 but and 8. It's a new me, so I'm branching out and trying new styles. I've been surprised by a few of my new outfits. Pleased and surprised.
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It didn't take me long to want to start wearing fitted clothes, but I still had to wear a lot of baggy stuff for the monetary reasons. I hated my old body, as soon as I started getting near a normal weight I could just tell that I objectively looked better and no longer had a reason to hide.

I know my body image is healthier now because I'm nearing the end of recovering from an injury, I had to give up all weight lifting that involved my legs and any cardio with resistance, my legs are noticeably thinner and I don't like it because it's not enough muscle.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I always hated wearing very baggy clothes but had trouble finding clothes that fit both my large belly but smaller hips and legs.
    My solution was not super baggy clothes but a lot of stretchy waist pants fitted to my hip size and longer tops with layering.

Maybe you could do a smaller size shirt or dress with a looser vest, sweater or jacket on top for now as you get used to the feel of smaller clothes.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    some days i do baggy (especially when its cold) some days fitted. depends on my mood and what im doing.
  • ChelleDee07
    ChelleDee07 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    It takes time for your mind to catch up. Even though I knew my clothes sizes were decreasing, I still saw the heavier me in the mirror. When I first started wearing fitted clothes I felt like I looked too 'big' in them. I don't think there is a specific time frame on this and believe it is completely individual, just as our weight loss stories. I can tell you that now, I will avoid wearing anything baggy or loose 9 times out of 10 because it takes me back to when I felt I had to hide. I was 260 lbs in January. I hit my goal of 100 lbs loss on September 15th. I am currently just over 2 months of maintaining now. Your mind will eventually catch up... but you need to wear the fitted clothes to give it the opportunity to do so too. :)
  • batorkin
    batorkin Posts: 281 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I did/do the exact same thing! I started buying tigher jeans and smaller shirts before I could actually wear them just for motivation... but I don't wear them in public yet haha.
    It takes time for your mind to catch up. Even though I knew my clothes sizes were decreasing, I still saw the heavier me in the mirror. When I first started wearing fitted clothes I felt like I looked too 'big' in them. I don't think there is a specific time frame on this and believe it is completely individual, just as our weight loss stories. I can tell you that now, I will avoid wearing anything baggy or loose 9 times out of 10 because it takes me back to when I felt I had to hide. I was 260 lbs in January. I hit my goal of 100 lbs loss on September 15th. I am currently just over 2 months of maintaining now. Your mind will eventually catch up... but you need to wear the fitted clothes to give it the opportunity to do so too. :)

Motivational. I also started very close to 260 and I am down to 239. I'm tall, so my healthy weight is about 180. 59 pounds to go, and I hope I start feeling a lot better about my body before then.