Regain After Gastric Bypass - my full story

I started a thread which had a million bunny trails, but I wanted to get my full story out there with my intended questions since it was only a request for a support group in the previous thread...

I had gastric bypass in 2014 I lost 160 pounds in 7 months. At the 7 month mark I stalled and slowly started gaining. I met my husband in late 2015 and really got comfortable and fast forward 2 year I have regained 100 pounds.

why I chose surgery: I couldnt walk well and had plantar fasciitis. I felt like I was at the end of my rope and I needed something drastic. I had dieted before and lost and gained and lost and gained. you know the story. There is so much out there about WLS patients keeping the weight off (very little about regain) so I thought it would be the last extreme once and for all!

What happened: At 7 months out I started dating. I went from a strict bariatric diet to going out to dinners having a glass of wine, cutting out exercise time for dates, having fun... I stalled and gained a little. When I saw my dr at a year out I had gained 9 pounds. He said don't worry keep up your diet and youre at the point where you will see fluctuation. My Dr said I would stabilize around 220. In addition to everything said I was a single mom. I had hard enough time finding a sitter but My sitter moved right after my year apt and I didn't have anyone to watch her while I went to support group so I stopped. The regain continued and my anxiety increased about it. I called the therapist who serviced my support group and she wasn't covered by my insurance. I asked if I could pay cash and the clinic she worked for wouldn't do that. At this point I was really depressed about the weight gain and the lonliness. Then I met my now husband. We fell in love quickly, moved in together within 2 months and had so much fun, but most of it was drinking and eating. I made new friends. Oh and I discovered lularoe haha (women will get this) suddenly after a winter of leggings my pants didn't fit anymore. I struggled this summer we would go on a diet together for it to last a week. He is as addicted to food as I am. Finally he got on the scale after gaining 40 pounds himself and we both said now is the time. That was 2 weeks ago. We found a health coach together and are working on this together.

My questions: Being a bariatric patient will this affect my weight loss the second time around. Is my metabolism slower because I lost a lot of muscle when I lost weight fast or because I spent 8 months eating 800-1000 calories a day? Are my nutrition goals different because of the altered anatomy? has anyone else strggled with regain after WLS and how did it come off the 2nd time around?

Our diet: We are following a primal based diet. I am sticking with protein and produce. I am aiming for 80-100 g of protein a day and 50 carbs.

Replies

• jnmalsch
    jnmalsch Posts: 21 Member
    My precious wine I know I need to give it up LOL
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    For some ppl it's wine. It's other foods for other people. It's very hard - I don't have to tell you that.

Wishing you the best of luck !!!
  • fosheyn
    fosheyn Posts: 7 Member
    jnmalsch wrote: »
    My precious wine I know I need to give it up LOL[/quote
    Since limiting my calories, I haven't given up anything....but things have changed. Nothing goes in without me weighing or measuring and entering into MFP first to see where it puts me. If i'm within my calorie goal for the day, I consume it, if it doesn't fit, I either reduce it or don't consume it. ..Wine on my 1500 and 1600 calorie days. :)
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    :(
  • fosheyn
    fosheyn Posts: 7 Member
    Skeezyx58 wrote: »
    I would love to hear more as I also had surgery in 2007 and lost 110 lb never reached my goal of 170 lb as my son committed suicide and I have regained 60 lb I need to turn it around and would appreciate any help
    I'm so sorry for your loss, may you find peace & comfort.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    I’ve gained all my weight back eating 8-900 calories a day.

How do you know it was only 800-900 calories a day? Did you use a foodscale and weighted everything that passed your lips? If this was true then your organs would mostly have stopped working at a women needs about 1200kcal alone just to keep her organs, brains and other essential body parts running properly.

That's a troll, safe to ignore. Also this was a necropost to start.

Yikes! Should have noticed :s Thanks. I did collect a Woo for it though :D
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited July 2019
    jnmalsch wrote: »
    I started a thread which had a million bunny trails, but I wanted to get my full story out there with my intended questions since it was only a request for a support group in the previous thread...

I had gastric bypass in 2014 I lost 160 pounds in 7 months. At the 7 month mark I stalled and slowly started gaining. I met my husband in late 2015 and really got comfortable and fast forward 2 year I have regained 100 pounds.

why I chose surgery: I couldnt walk well and had plantar fasciitis. I felt like I was at the end of my rope and I needed something drastic. I had dieted before and lost and gained and lost and gained. you know the story. There is so much out there about WLS patients keeping the weight off (very little about regain) so I thought it would be the last extreme once and for all!

What happened: At 7 months out I started dating. I went from a strict bariatric diet to going out to dinners having a glass of wine, cutting out exercise time for dates, having fun... I stalled and gained a little. When I saw my dr at a year out I had gained 9 pounds. He said don't worry keep up your diet and youre at the point where you will see fluctuation. My Dr said I would stabilize around 220. In addition to everything said I was a single mom. I had hard enough time finding a sitter but My sitter moved right after my year apt and I didn't have anyone to watch her while I went to support group so I stopped. The regain continued and my anxiety increased about it. I called the therapist who serviced my support group and she wasn't covered by my insurance. I asked if I could pay cash and the clinic she worked for wouldn't do that. At this point I was really depressed about the weight gain and the lonliness. Then I met my now husband. We fell in love quickly, moved in together within 2 months and had so much fun, but most of it was drinking and eating. I made new friends. Oh and I discovered lularoe haha (women will get this) suddenly after a winter of leggings my pants didn't fit anymore. I struggled this summer we would go on a diet together for it to last a week. He is as addicted to food as I am. Finally he got on the scale after gaining 40 pounds himself and we both said now is the time. That was 2 weeks ago. We found a health coach together and are working on this together.

My questions: Being a bariatric patient will this affect my weight loss the second time around. Is my metabolism slower because I lost a lot of muscle when I lost weight fast or because I spent 8 months eating 800-1000 calories a day? Are my nutrition goals different because of the altered anatomy? has anyone else strggled with regain after WLS and how did it come off the 2nd time around?

Our diet: We are following a primal based diet. I am sticking with protein and produce. I am aiming for 80-100 g of protein a day and 50 carbs.

Ok, I am not a weight loss surgery loser, but my total weight loss is similar. As far as your "metabolism" well, will your rmr be equal to someone always your weight? No, has it gone up since weight gain, yes, when adjusted for weight gain. Not as much most likely. It takes more energy to move the human body the more weight you carry. If you gain 50 lbs, its like strapping a weighted vest on and walking around. Yes, you will burn more energy. When people gain weight, they don't just gain fat mass. They also gain lean mass. Last time I looked it was about 3.8 lbs out of 10 is lean mass, unless you are hypertrophy lifting. Then it could be 6lbs out of ten. I used to think that GPS effected the bf set point. I now think this idea is in doubt. The diet that they prescribe is generally rich in fiber, protein, reduced fat, and processed foods in general. All foods that tend to have higher filling and satiety effects. Match that with less storage space and ability to digest calories like fat. That I think is the key. Weight loss, regain, maintenance, is really nothing more than exercise and dietary adherence. I have my own thoughts on what controls Energy In, but that a whole nother story... lol best of luck.
  • psychod787
    edited July 2019
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    So you gained weight after the gastric bypass for the same reason you were overweight to begin with.

You ate more than you burned. Your current way of eating is not going to help you lose weight unless you are in a calorie deficit...and you don't have to give up the wine...I don't understand why people think that.

If you log your food and stay in goal you will lose weight regardless of what or when you eat/drink.

As for your questions...

1. Yes I believe it will (no personal experience but based on my readings). Because yes you did lose muscle as you lost so fast and didn't do exercise to maintain the muscle...but that can be helped with building some and exercise...or you can just find foods that are more filling and less calories.

2. Nutrition goals...no clue...I expect you need to talk to an actual doctor for that but I expect since you have regained that the pouch is a lot bigger than it used to be and that you should consult a doctor to find out for sure.

There is more to the equation than just muscle mass loss. Organ size loss, adapted skeletal muscle efficiency, hunger changes after LARGE weight loss is a real *KITTEN*. TRUST ME! While alcohol in itself does not cause weight gain, it is liquid calories that give little in the way of satiety. People also tend to make POOR choices when under the influence of alcohol. Coupled with the addict nature the OP has talked about, I would strongly suggest abstenace. I do personally for those reason and others.

**edit**
    There are two theories on rmr slowing after weight loss. There is the static theory. Where rme slows only so much compared to a always weight stable population and there is the spring theory. Basically rme slows down even more the more weight lost. The first seems to be the general guidelines and has been shown in multiple studies. The second has been shown in a small group of subjects. Even inside this study there are potential issues.
  • psychod787
    OP started this thread 2 years ago, so any responses to her likely won't get seen. :)

Necro thread..