Weighing food

Options
JayZ1488
JayZ1488 Posts: 258 Member
edited November 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Do you weigh food after it's cooked. I'm only asking because I want to be correct with my calories amd food that I log. For example I slow cook a banana into chips and it went from 6 ounces to 3 and my chicken breast from 12 ounces to 8.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I weigh raw/pre cooking and log using an appropriate entry (they should state whether it's raw or cooked)

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    either...just make sure you're selecting an entry that reflects whether it was weighed raw or cooked. Your chicken lost water which is why it weighs less cooked.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    ^^Same.
  • JayZ1488
    Options
    I weigh raw/pre cooking and log using an appropriate entry (they should state whether it's raw or cooked)

But if you weight it raw, technically speaking you're not eating as much as you logged in. If it starts off at 12 ounces and drops to 8 ounces then I feel you should log 8 ounces shouldn't you?
  • JayZ1488
    Options
    Is it because the calories don't dissolve or something. Im just curious and a little confused
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    No. It doesn't lose calories when cooked and you aren't eating less than the whole 12 oz banana (or whatever). What it loses is water which has no calories.
  • JayZ1488
    Options
    That's what I was guessing ok thank you
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    JayZ1488 wrote: »

But if you weight it raw, technically speaking you're not eating as much as you logged in. If it starts off at 12 ounces and drops to 8 ounces then I feel you should log 8 ounces shouldn't you?

No, it doesn't lose calories...it loses weight because it loses water and shrinks.
  • JayZ1488
    Options
    I got my answer thank you guys!