Hard time focusing

Options
I typically have a hard time focusing for long on a diet and exercise. I go through moods/phases that last a week or two at a time and then I fall into a slump.
Any tips on keeping myself focused and not falling off this time? I am coming into counting my calories slowly, hoping that maybe if I don’t push myself too hard in the beginning I won’t grow bored or stressed as I move forward. Getting back into exercising can be easy, once I go I love being there but I feel like my diet is affecting me the most.

Replies

• barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Diet comes first, exercise is more for good health. Don't take me wrong exercise will help burn more calories and is great for firmness of the body.
  • ms_maruska
    ms_maruska Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Since you know you have these phases when it's so difficult to stay on track, do your best to overcome them with whatever tricks help you. For me, it's reading and looking at the success photos and reflecting on why I started it all and how many times I have already "failed" by giving in when it was hard. But if this doesn't help, during these phases, try and eat at maintenance level or perhaps one day at maintenance level, then the next day stick to deficit, then maintenance etc. It may slow down your weight loss for a little bit but you won't give up completely. Also, try out some new recipes, it doesn't have to be boring. Good luck :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Dobt make such drastic changes that you can't stick to?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Well done for coming to this insight - it took me thirty years :# It's smart of you to address it before you see yourself "falling off" again. Don't pick a strategy you can only keep up when you're "focused"; you need a diet that you can stick to when you're bored, stressed, anxious, sad, sick, happy, on holiday, because that's "life". Identify what it is exactly that makes you want to quit, and why, and what you can do differently, or maybe do instead. Is it the act of weighing/logging? Is it the idea that you have to restrict your calorie intake? Do you feel you have to cut out foods you like? Do you tend to cut your calories too low? Do you feel self-conscious about paying attention to your own needs and appearance, or feeling bad for priorizing yourself? Or?