Scale doesn't reflect loss

Options
So I'm sure this has been asked before. I'm working out twice a day. I do crossfit in the morning and a 30-40 min simple weight lifting in the afternoon. Been doing this for about a month. Average about 4 days a week. I have my calorie goal set to maintenance at sedentary and usually don't eat the full 1600. So I've Been averaging net calories of 1200-1400.
And I'm losing inches. My clothes fit better. Pants that i couldn't even squeeze my thighs in went on with complete ease this morning. Its great.

But I really want my weight to go down and it hasn't. I've been tracking my weight for a month and half. I lost intial water weight the first week. And now my trend weight shows a 1lb loss.
And it's frustrating that my weight won't reflect my loss.
And i know, weight means nothing. Muscle weighs more, etc.

But at 4'11 and 149 lbs it's hard to justify the weight even if I'm getting smaller.

Is it something I'm just going to have to deal with or is there something that could help?
Should i put more focus on macros? Or stuck with just waiting it out?

Replies

• 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Why would you stress so much about your weight if your getting leaner? More muscle mass means higher resting metabolic rate which is a much bigger win than a smaller number on the scale.
    I've lost over 45lbs. If I could choose between that smaller number on the scale or an extra 45 lbs of beefcake, I'll take the beefcake thank you.
  • jennydelgado09
    jennydelgado09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I said the same thing on your post on the other board. You are probably retaining water that is masking any fat loss. You are on a small deficit (because you are small), fat loss will be slow, 0.5/lbs per week or LESS. In 6 weeks, that could be 1 to 3 lbs. You said your weight trend IS showing a loss of 1 lb. So maybe you lost 2lbs, and are retaining 1 lb of water, or you've lost 3lbs and are retaining 2lbs of water.

Yes, it's frustrating.
    Yes, you are going to have to wait it out.

I posted it here because in the other board the commentors seemed to be assuming that I was complaining about no loss. Here I figured I get more responses from people who understand what I'm talking about.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I said the same thing on your post on the other board. You are probably retaining water that is masking any fat loss. You are on a small deficit (because you are small), fat loss will be slow, 0.5/lbs per week or LESS. In 6 weeks, that could be 1 to 3 lbs. You said your weight trend IS showing a loss of 1 lb. So maybe you lost 2lbs, and are retaining 1 lb of water, or you've lost 3lbs and are retaining 2lbs of water.

Yes, it's frustrating.
    Yes, you are going to have to wait it out.

I posted it here because in the other board the commentors seemed to be assuming that I was complaining about no loss. Here I figured I get more responses from people who understand what I'm talking about.

The answer won't change, people there will say the exact same as people here. I don't know what sort of different response you expect.

I'm sitting on a good 5 weeks of no scale loss. Yes it's frustrating (which doesn't help 'cos cortisol) but if your tracking is accurate and you're in a deficit the results will come.
  • TheHobbit2017
    TheHobbit2017 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Same head inches lost and body shaking real well but losses in actual weight very slow. But that’s the way weight loss should be. I’d put money on you seeing a big scale lose at some point due to all that extra lean muscle
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    my answer is the same, stop worrying about the scale
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    The only thing you need to change is your expectation.

You have lost 1lb in a month on a small deficit, that means it is going really well in my opinion.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    The scale is just numbers if your eating lots of sodium, drinking bcaa-supplement or pre workout your body and muscles will retain lots of water.
    Your best friend can be a cloth measuring tape it don't lie.
  • 93pear93
    93pear93 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Measure yourself note the numbers, take the pic in the mirror, use scale once a week anyway it's just number
  • ladyshellbelle
    ladyshellbelle Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have had a similar problem, 6 weeks on 1200 calories, working out 4 times a week and eventually a 2lb weigh loss this week :)
    It will happen just enjoy the feeling..

Mx
  • Burton_Bmc
    Burton_Bmc Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you want to have more insights in the way you lose or gain weight, buy a proper scale. Any smart scale will do, though I have a Withings. They will track your weight, your fat mass, your muscle mass and water. This will give you a better view about your progress. A cheap version of a smart scale is the old fashioned measure tape. Your profile says you did lose 26 lb, this is something to be freaking proud of, and sorry for peeping, success!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you want to have more insights in the way you lose or gain weight, buy a proper scale. Any smart scale will do, though I have a Withings. They will track your weight, your fat mass, your muscle mass and water. This will give you a better view about your progress. A cheap version of a smart scale is the old fashioned measure tape. Your profile says you did lose 26 lb, this is something to be freaking proud of, and sorry for peeping, success!!

Scales aren't accurate for bodyfat
  • Burton_Bmc
    Burton_Bmc Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Scales aren't accurate for bodyfat

Agree, they are not 100% accurate, though you are able to see a number, and if the numbers are going down, for fat, going up for muscle mass, it is a good thing to see. For example, I went down from 18 kg of fat to 10 kg of fat, this is a number you can not deny.
  • 93pear93
    93pear93 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This type of machine which shows bf water etc are just waste of money. Get a proper mirror instead hrhr :wink:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    At your height your weight is in the overweight category even if you do have some muscle tone already.
    If you want to see the scale go down you need to eat at calorie deficit until you get to the weight you want to be, then you can concentrate on building muscle while eating at TDEE/maintenance calories. You can't lose fat without eating at a calorie deficit but you can still build muscle as long as your deficit isn't aggressive.
    I have successfully built muscle eating firstly at slight deficit - 250 cals a day/ losing 0.5lb a week and then when I was at a healthy weight eating at TDEE (I'm not talking body builder muscle here, just nice muscle definition btw before someone calls me out on gaining muscle while eating at deficit being impossible).
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    If you're losing inches then you're clearly losing weight. If clothes fit that didn't previously, you're in better shape. I shouldn't get too hung up on the number on the scales.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    2 a day workouts, Crossfit, sedentary activity factor and underrating is not going to be a winning combination.

All of this. Underfeeding + over exercising = stress on the body = water storage. And if IIRC, it can be fairly substantial according to Lyle McDonald (like up to 20 lbs).

OP, why not bump your calories up to 1700 to 1900 calories for a while to see how that works.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Am I reading right that you've only been doing the routine for 1 month? Anytime adding something new, whether it was the crossfit stuff or anything else you will retain water. Plus, as others have said, if you're underfeeding by a large deficit that's only going to compound the issue.
  • Angieve1
    Angieve1 Posts: 65 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I have my calorie goal set to maintenance at sedentary and usually don't eat the full 1600. So I've Been averaging net calories of 1200-1400.

Try to change your setting so it doesn't reflect a maintenance but maybe the other one where you would be into a deficit adjusted to your measurements. height and all that could make a difference.