Netting under 500 calories after exercise

Options
I can't for the life of me figure out what to do. I know we're supposed to eat back some of our calories, but do we really have to eat back all?? Today I burned 1033 calories, am currently on 1200 calories, and I still have 1133 calories to go!! It's 11pm and that's just not happening.

There's just some days where I exercise more than others. I find myself doing that now when I'm bored instead of sitting on the computer reading FB or playing games. So my exercise has gone up, and I find that I'm not that hungry afterwards.

You can see my food journal ... I've gone up to 1900+ calories, so I'm not afraid to eat ...

Replies

• Soccerstar19
    Options
    I seem to be having the same problem. I think I'm just going to start eating higher even on the days when I'm not exercising to compensate for the days I am.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Learn to plan better. Closer to your target it becomes more and more important.
  • janiecorona
    Options
    bump.
  • rachellepilcher
    Options
    every so often its ok just try not to do it regularly or more than 2 days in a row and you should be ok
  • cmpettey
    cmpettey Posts: 223
    Options
    I do too. In fact, I am going to net about 500 today and I had pizza for dinner. I figure if I'm not hungry, I don't eat. I'm not going to stuff myself just to net 1200 calories.
  • 4KidFather
    4KidFather Posts: 134
    Options
    every so often its ok just try not to do it regularly or more than 2 days in a row and you should be ok
    Agreed, eat more. Days of less calories can be very beneficial. Ensure your getting nutrient rich calories all the same and NOT going hungry.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    First: are you using a heart rate monitor to figure out what you're burning? 600 calories seems high for softball, especially considering you're not constantly moving. Also, even if you're burning that much, you should be subtracting your BRM. Go to tools and click BMR calculator. Divide that number by 24 and then divide that number by 60. The remaining number is what your body naturally burns doing nothing. This is what you need to subtract from your exercise because had you not exercised, you would have burned it anyway and that's already figured into how many calories you need to eat. SO, say you burn 1 calorie per minute, multiply that by however many minutes you exercised and subtract it from the amount you "burned". Log the remaining number. This is more accurate and a better way to log your calories.

Also... YES, you need to be NETTING at least 1200 calories per day. On your homepage (or the homepage of your phone app), it says "NET" with a number. It should be at LEAST 1200. This means if you burn a lot of calories and your base is higher than 1200, you don't have to eat back ALL the calories you burned. For example: my base is 1380. If I don't exercise, I eat 1380 or more. If I exercise, I try to at least net 1200 unless I'm starving and need to eat the extra calories.
  • zohars
    zohars Posts: 29
    Options
    You could try having a post-workout shake / smoothie? Since getting enough protein is important when you're trying to lose weight, I'll often do a scoop of protein powder with some fruit / milk after exercise to both help my body recover, get some good nutrition, and get on track for calories. You can even put spinach in to get some extra veggies if you blend it.
  • SDV219
    SDV219 Posts: 106
    Options
    Thanks for all the great replies. I've been reading the threads here and learning so much!