Silly question but...

Options
Am I supposed to only eat my goal of 1200 calories, or am I supposed to eat the extra 117 calories I burned today? You know, the calories that calculate on their own on the homepage? Am I supposed to eat it until it says zero or am I suppose to stop when I get to 1200 no matter what?

Replies

• Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you're supposed to just worry about the "Net" calories not food calories...
  • Marietard
    Options
    Good question actually ... I'm not sure, but I would think to lose weight you should eat your allotted calories (just 1200) and leave remaining the amount you got back from exercising. Not that I practice what I preach though ;) I guess you could also use the extra exercise calories for a reward sometimes for something special.
  • ToniAnn411
    Options
    Not a silly question. Everyone is different. Some eat theirs and some dont. Me personally, it depends on how much I burn, if it's a lot, I'll try to eat atleast some of it if not all, for my body. If it isn't much, then I usually don't
  • mamacremers
    mamacremers Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    you eat all your calories, even the ones you add for exercise.
  • babemali
    babemali Posts: 12
    Options
    thats the same question im asking myself! i think u have to eat the extra calories your burning thats what im doing ...
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    MFP has already figured out what you need to eat to lose weight so if you eat only your base and not your exercise calories, you could jeopardize your weight loss. Eat back what you burn off because you need that fuel and extra nutrients.
  • CaliGirl313
    Options
    Not a silly question. Everyone is different. Some eat theirs and some dont. Me personally, it depends on how much I burn, if it's a lot, I'll try to eat atleast some of it if not all, for my body. If it isn't much, then I usually don't

How much is "a lot?"
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    If you're exercising regularly and vigorously then you're probably burning more calories than you can eat comfortably. Eat til you're full and don't overstuff just to make the numbers equal 0. They're probably not 100% accurate anyway.
  • deenanna
    deenanna Posts: 39
    Options
    I started just eating 1200. Then when I started to eat my "burnt calories" I lost more weight. Then after I "Plateaued" I ate 100 MORE calories per day and have continued to lose. You've got to find what works for YOU
  • theba2il
    theba2il Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Hi:0) If I don't exercise I eat 1200. If I exercise, I eat all or some of my exercise calories. For example, I can burn up to 600 cal doing Zumba. If I didn't eat my exercise calories, I'd only have 600 cal for the day. Not good. Your body thinks it starving. You become irritable if you're hungry.
  • keepkickingbutt
    keepkickingbutt Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    More exercise = I get to eat more food! Woohoo! :D

But yeah - if you're going for weight loss, pay attention to your net calories.

And fuel your body, don't starve yourself: starvation mode = fat storage (our bodies are awesome like that!)
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Okay so here it is. . . . I really would not encourage eating exercise calories back unless you have an HRM (Heart Rate monitor) with a cheststrap as this will give you the most accurate reading. . . that way you can accurately track what you are burning when you work out and if you are in your target heart range when you are burning. . .

That said good luck with your weight loss journey!
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    That question is a big source of debate here on MFP. Personally I dont eat back my exercise calories BUT every once in a while I may go over the 1200 calories by 100 or less. You do what works for YOU. If you have a lot to lose it is going to work either way. Pick one way and stick with it for a few weeks. If you are comfortable doing it that way stick with it.. If not try the other way. Let your body tell you which works better! Not one of us. We can only give our opinion from our experiences.

Good luck and be patient!

4925355.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • CaliGirl313
    Options
    That question is a big source of debate here on MFP. Personally I dont eat back my exercise calories BUT every once in a while I may go over the 1200 calories by 100 or less. You do what works for YOU. If you have a lot to lose it is going to work either way. Pick one way and stick with it for a few weeks. If you are comfortable doing it that way stick with it.. If not try the other way. Let your body tell you which works better! Not one of us. We can only give our opinion from our experiences.

Good luck and be patient!

4925355.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Thanks, I only need to lose about 10lbs really.. 15 might be too much. I've been "plateaued" for quite some time now.. like 2 years! I just need to do something to lose this weight!
  • MamaMizzle
    MamaMizzle Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You guys are all confusing me LOL

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I dunno, eating my exercise calories goes against everything I have believed about losing weight for the last 20 years! But then again, I have had very little dieting success the last 20 years.
  • CaliGirl313
    Options
    You guys are all confusing me LOL

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I dunno, eating my exercise calories goes against everything I have believed about losing weight for the last 20 years! But then again, I have had very little dieting success the last 20 years.

I'm confused too! I think I'm gonna see how it goes.. month by month...
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Monday, I asked my cardiologist that same question and she said to stick with my 1800 calories and don’t eat my exercise calories. But I’m a big fatso right now and she said that I couldn’t exercise enough calories to negatively impact my health . She said, when I get closer to my goal weight (80 lbs to go), then we’ll talk about it again. I'm going to follow my doctor's advice.
  • CaliGirl313
    Options
    Very interesting!