Quick advice needed before tomorrow! Thank you!

Options
So my progress has been stupendous, and I'm feeling greater than I have in a long time! Tomorrow I might be getting a missed and cherished favorite food, cereal with milk (mmm milk!). My plan was to have (in the middle of the day or afternoon) a large bowl of Life cereal, as a treat to myself. Now when I say large I mean it's probably going to be 700-900 calories worth, milk included. So my plan is to stay at my calorie intake level but eat this monstrosity meal. Do you believe this is okay to do? I actually intend to have a treat meal once a week.

I refuse to do anything I feel will impede my progress but I have no worries about getting cravings again because I have not had an issue with willpower so far. But if such sugar levels or milk levels will hurt my scale or waist progress for this weekend, I will readjust my plans accordingly. Thank you so much, and I cannot say enough how wonderful this community is and has been. I've lost about 5 lbs since I started and want to continue this direction. :)

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Go for it!!! My friend and I are doing this next week with Oreos and milk. :)
  • Soccerstar19
    Options
    Personally, I love cereal and I eat it everyday because I know if I didn't I would binge and eat 700-900 calorie meals of it. So what I'm saying is sure if that's what works for you by all means go for it but try and spread it out over the day instead of all at once. Or do what I do and have a bowl everyday and don't feel deprived.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat the recomended serving of cereal and milk? You get to have your cereal and still stay on track.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Pre-planning is a great way to fit in the meals/snacks/treats you want to have once in a while. Enjoy your cereal!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you've already made up your mind so why are you even asking? Personally, I just treat myself to a bowl of cereal when I crave it but I go by the serving and just savor every bite. I think eating 700-900 calories worth of cereal is a bit crazy especially considering it's all sugar and you're getting 0 nutrients from it, except maybe the milk - but even at that point, it's not doing your body any good.

So no, I don't think it's a good idea. I think you could get your craving with a NORMAL sized bowl just as well. I think you just are looking for an excuse to overindulge and it sounds ridiculous. But you're going to do what you want and that's fine, but this is just my opinion.
  • LeonaWFU98
    LeonaWFU98 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly no expert, but I've read and heard that allowing yourself a meal (some people even say a day's worth of meals) that you really enjoy actually HELPS you in the end because you aren't depriving yourself of something you really love.

I'm with you - this measuring cereal and milk thing stinks :) I really want some Frosted Mini Wheats, but the serving size is absolutely depressing! :)

Great job so far, and good luck!
  • Cam_
    Cam_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Sure. Go for it.
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think I could stomach THAT much cereal in one sitting. No matter how much I like Life.

I'd rather have a normal serving (or cup or whatever) and actually enjoy it, rather than stuff myself with it.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point in going completely bananas and eating half your daily calories in one food.
    It probably won't cause any problems to your weight loss if you stay under your calories, but it seems like a very bad idea to only eat a treat in huge proportions.
    I suspect that is why most of us are here, because we aren't good at enjoying treats in small packages.
    Surely it would be better to enjoy it more often but in a senible portion size.
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    So my progress has been stupendous, and I'm feeling greater than I have in a long time! Tomorrow I might be getting a missed and cherished favorite food, cereal with milk (mmm milk!). My plan was to have (in the middle of the day or afternoon) a large bowl of Life cereal, as a treat to myself. Now when I say large I mean it's probably going to be 700-900 calories worth, milk included. So my plan is to stay at my calorie intake level but eat this monstrosity meal. Do you believe this is okay to do? I actually intend to have a treat meal once a week.

I refuse to do anything I feel will impede my progress but I have no worries about getting cravings again because I have not had an issue with willpower so far. But if such sugar levels or milk levels will hurt my scale or waist progress for this weekend, I will readjust my plans accordingly. Thank you so much, and I cannot say enough how wonderful this community is and has been. I've lost about 5 lbs since I started and want to continue this direction. :)
    just go for it. Walk at brisk pace an hour or so and you will be fine. This is not a diet , it''s a life style and cutting off everything that is good , is not a solution.You can use non fat milk , too. Plan ahead is the key:)
  • Ashonym
    Ashonym Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat the recomended serving of cereal and milk? You get to have your cereal and still stay on track.

Because that's no fun! It's like a teaser that uses up a third or fourth of my day's worth.

Since beginning this I have tried to only eat what will fill me up and be worth the calories. I've become obsessed and stingy about it. XD
  • jbretz
    jbretz Posts: 43
    Options
    I have a bowl of cereal every morning! Have you tried any Kashi cereals? The Cinnamon Harvest cereal is absolutely delicious. It's 100% organic and has 47g of whole grains. It has definitely replaced all other highly processed cereals for me. :)
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Why don't you find a non food reward? It’s like an alcoholic celebrating one year of sobriety with a fifth of scotch.
  • angfish
    angfish Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    That sounds like A LOT of cereal and milk....take into consideration that, if you've been much more disciplined lately, this
    "reward" will make you feel sick to your stomach....for good reason!!! stick to the recommended serving size and spread your calories out through the day in good and healthy calorie choices.

unless you like the diet roller coaster...
  • Melbel85
    Melbel85 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I am a cereal freak! I actually have a tshirt that says Cereal Killer with a skull and two spoons... its cute! : ) Have you tried the Fiber One 80 calorie cereal? I usually have 2 servings (1 1/2 cups) with 1/2 cup of milk (usually healthy life but I am trying silk). It curves my craving, fills me up and has 20 g of fiber!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think it's a good idea. I don't think it's going to sabotage your progress, but what about the rest of the day? You're going to "spend" the majority of your daily caloric intake on one meal?

And one reason you haven't been having cravings is probably because you've cut out all the sugar. Can you imagine what your cravings might be like if you indulge in that much sugar at once? I believe in all things in moderation. If you want a serving size of Life cereal every now and then, that's fine, have it, but work it in to your normal lifestyle, not just random binges here and there.

Like I said, I don't think one massive bowl of cereal is really going to hurt you that much (unless there's a crap-ton of sodium in it, then it might cause you to retain water and you'll see the scale go up for a few days), but I think the reasoning behind it might not be the healthiest way to go about doing things.
  • Ashonym
    Ashonym Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I was mainly asking whether or not the sugar levels would make even my staying inside net calorie limit obsolete...
  • mbreichow
    mbreichow Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think that it's great that you're allowing yourself to have the food that you love. However, I go along with the others who say do it in a reasonable serving size. A healthy lifestyle allows us to have the things we enjoy, just not a whole bunch all the time. If I read your entry correctly, you're telling yourself "I can't have this food while I'm dieting, but I can have it only on this day so I'm gonna eat a whole bunch". That type of thinking will not help you to maintain a healthy lifestyle in the long run. It's an "all or nothing" type of thing - Either I'm on or off. I say have some cereal - maybe more than just the prescribed serving but not 700-900 calories worth.

That being said - I do agree with those who say we should have a larger eating day - I try to use those for parties or evenings out. It drives me nutty to eat "diet" in a restaurant!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I was mainly asking whether or not the sugar levels would make even my staying inside net calorie limit obsolete...

One day won't make that much of a difference, it's when that one day becomes every day. If you want your massive bowl of cereal, have it and enjoy it...just don't do it again the next day and the day after that and...you get the point.
  • tramaine81
    tramaine81 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Do it. Because when you do...you might realize it's not worth it anymore. That's what happened to me. I was still hungry, woke up with a puffy face, and felt like, ugh... However, if you enjoy it, YAY!

good times;)