Help--suggestions

Hi! I'm back to eating healthy and exercising after dealing with breast cancer-so far beat that crap!!! I'm doing crossfit 2-3 times a week, logging my food- staying in daily target-no sugars, walking as much as I can and only lost 2 lbs?!?!? I'm 64 and know it's harder but it's discouraging. I feel strong and lighter and know the scale is just a # but really?!? All suggestions welcome

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Age doesn't have to make weightloss harder. Age usually makes us more patient and rational, which are the main requirements for weight management - in addition to CICO, of course.

You don't have to exercise to lose weight, but you have to eat less than you burn, and do it consistently. How are you tracking your food intake?

New exercise will make your muscles retain water for repair. Water has weight.

You aren't really eating "no sugars", I really hope you aren't. There is sugar in vegetables and fruit, and it's the same sugar, and it acts the same way in your body, as table sugar. Of course fruit and vegs have additional nutrients, but adding some sugar to your food doesn't make it toxic or void of nutrition or fattening.

How long have you been doing what you're doing? How much did you expect to lose in this time? Why? How much do you have to lose - what's your height and weight?
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Congratulations on beating cancer!!!!! So happy for you :) as for losing weight, calorie in calorie out EVERY time. Log honestly and thoroughly, read through forums for help and inspiration and learn along the way. Slowly and surely. Don't deprive yourself of anything as long as it's within your calorie allowance. Always remember that weight loss is not linear, it will go up, down, slowly, fast. Good luck, you can do it!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    Congratulations on beating the cancer!

How long has it taken you to lose 2 pounds?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    thecharon wrote: »
    Sounds like you are getting sexy in your 60's! Building some muscle which weighs more. Make sure you are meeting your protein requirements.

no OP is not building muscle...

OP logging your food is one thing but are you using a food scale? and choosing correct entries?

congrats on beating cancer too btw.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Hey pink sister (almost done with treatment here)! You've lost 2 lbs - that's great! And doing cross-fit. Fabulous. Don't poo poo your progress. How long have you been at this?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Hi! I'm back to eating healthy and exercising after dealing with breast cancer-so far beat that crap!!! I'm doing crossfit 2-3 times a week, logging my food- staying in daily target-no sugars, walking as much as I can and only lost 2 lbs?!?!? I'm 64 and know it's harder but it's discouraging. I feel strong and lighter and know the scale is just a # but really?!? All suggestions welcome

How long has it been since you started? What rate of loss were you expecting?
    Are you logging everything you consume? Are you using a food scale? Are the database entries you are using correct?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Lounmoun wrote: »

How long has it been since you started? What rate of loss were you expecting?
    Are you logging everything you consume? Are you using a food scale? Are the database entries you are using correct?

That ^^
  • dpapanestor
    dpapanestor Posts: 2 Member
    Wow you all are wonderful!!! I've been doing crossfit for 5 weeks...lost 2% body fat. I feel stronger and lighter. I have 1 more week at crossfit as it was a 6 week challenge. It helped me get motivated to exercise more and get stronger and healthy again. I use a scale to weight my food but I think I'm not being honest about portions. I also think the data base entries are not accurate that I pick . I'm still learning everything about My Fitness Pal and the forums. I gained about 15 lbs since my diagnosis and now the holidays are here.