Drained sundried tomatoes

I use sundried tomatoes almost daily for lunch and the nutrition info on the label is "per 100g drained". So how drained would you consider drained? As they are in oil I want to be accurate with my logging, so it this drained until the oil no longer drips and then weighed, would you pat them dry with kitchen paper? Whats the most accurate way to get the correct calories?

Replies

• crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    This one is going to be a tough one to get exact. I would just drain the amount you want in a colander until they are no longer dripping, and then use them. You can even measure 1.25 or 1.5 servings if you want to over estimate slightly.The ones I've had were packed in olive oil and that was a nice addition to my salad.
  • mskimee
    mskimee Posts: 228 Member
    Yeah, they are my favorite thing for lunch right now, but accuracy wise they are a nightmare!! :D
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    I'm thinking the more oil you drain/blot off the lower the calories. If you eat a lot of them I'd either blot off some extra calories or over estimate. If you're on a tight calorie allotment (1200 or there abouts) that can be a bigger challenge because you don't have a lot of wiggle room.
  • mskimee
    I'm thinking the more oil you drain/blot off the lower the calories. If you eat a lot of them I'd either blot off some extra calories or over estimate. If you're on a tight calorie allotment (1200 or there abouts) that can be a bigger challenge because you don't have a lot of wiggle room.

Yeah, I'm 1,200 a day (5ft tall, 123lb and losing half a lb a week). The depressing thing is my maintenance calories according to MFP are only 1270 (goal weight is 118), so even then I have very little wiggle room! :'(
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    mskimee wrote: »

Yeah, I'm 1,200 a day (5ft tall, 123lb and losing half a lb a week). The depressing thing is my maintenance calories according to MFP are only 1270 (goal weight is 118), so even then I have very little wiggle room! :'(

Check that? I put in your stats (5'0, 118 lbs, lightly active [office worker], 30 years old because idk) into Calorie King and it gave you "1450 to 1650 for maintenance." http://www.calorieking.com/interactive-tools/how-many-calories-should-you-eat/
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member

With such low maintenance numbers I'd be making every effort possible to get some physical activity in so I could eat more.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    I get my sun-dried tomatoes this way so no draining involved.
  • mskimee
    leggup wrote: »

Check that? I put in your stats (5'0, 118 lbs, lightly active [office worker], 30 years old because idk) into Calorie King and it gave you "1450 to 1650 for maintenance." http://www.calorieking.com/interactive-tools/how-many-calories-should-you-eat/

I'm going by what MFP gave me when I signed up 30lb ago. Stats are pretty much that. Office work, 30 years old and I almost cried at the result. It's not to hard to keep to the 1,200cal, I just like to be fairly accurate with my logging and keep oils etc to a minimum and focus on less calorie dense foods.

With such low maintenance numbers I'd be making every effort possible to get some physical activity in so I could eat more.

I work out 3-5 days a week, mostly weights and some cardio (limited though, it's dark by the time I get home from work and running in the dark where I live is not a good idea). I usually eat back 50-75% exercise calories tracked through my fitbit.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    How much fat per 100g drained?
  • mskimee
    How much fat per 100g drained?

I think it's about 12g per 100g drained. i'm not 100% sure though, I'll have to check the jar when I go home! :)
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    With such low calories I would blot them in kitchen paper towels to get rid of excess calories. That way you know that you don't have to over estimate them.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member

Are you actually losing a half pound a week on 1200 calories, or is 1200 calories the goal MFP gave you to lose half a lb a week? If you are actually losing a half pound a week on 1200 calories, then -- for whatever reason (perhaps you are more active, under the definitions MFP uses for activity levels, than you told MFP you are) -- MFP's estimate of the calories you need is a little off, and you should expect to be able to eat around 1450 calories a day on maintenance (there's not going to be a significant difference between what you need at 123 lbs and what you need at 118 lbs).
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I prefer them vacuum packed without oil.
  • mskimee

Are you actually losing a half pound a week on 1200 calories, or is 1200 calories the goal MFP gave you to lose half a lb a week? If you are actually losing a half pound a week on 1200 calories, then -- for whatever reason (perhaps you are more active, under the definitions MFP uses for activity levels, than you told MFP you are) -- MFP's estimate of the calories you need is a little off, and you should expect to be able to eat around 1450 calories a day on maintenance (there's not going to be a significant difference between what you need at 123 lbs and what you need at 118 lbs).

I tend to lose about a pound a month on this figure, so it's a little off, but then there are days I won't stick 100% to the 1,200 (I'll go 1,350 - 1,400 a few days a month). I don't have a timeline in mind so if the 118 takes a few months it's not a problem for me. It took me 2 years to lose the first 30lb. :)