How to stay motivated when depression and anxiety is bad?

Options
What are your advice on this?

Replies

• SneakyVee
    SneakyVee Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    lol I think you should just follow your heart, let it color the path ahead for you
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    When it's bad, then it's time to see a doctor. Seriously
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I used to be on Zoloft but now I just work out hard in the gym and sweat a bunch and work it out that way.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Get some professional help.

Personal coping:

I’m feeling like xxxxxx today. I may as well feel that way at work; going for a walk etc.

It’s hit and miss
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I don't have anxiety but I do have depression among other things. When I'm having a bad day, my eating is hit or miss. Though I usually end up eating under my calorie target since a heavy dose of self-loathing shows up too and I feel like I don't deserve to eat.

Not the most helpful, sorry.
  • MrSith
    MrSith Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Well I can tell you that it is hard and you will find it is easier to justify why you aren't motivated because of how you feel.

Just try to get back in routine whether it is working out or doing something you enjoy. At first it might feel like you are just going through the motions but after times the normal release of chemicals you have been lacking will start flowing again and you will return to enjoying it.

We all get knocked down in different ways the only difference is are you going to get back up and how long will it take you?
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    I know it’s really hard and I’m sorry. I struggle with this daily. It helps to talk to someone about it. Also exercising helps with stress, although I know that's the last thing I want to do when I'm feeling that way but I never regret it afterwards. What I do regret is binge drinking or eating. Best of luck to you.
  • HalloweenHighness
    HalloweenHighness Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Crying! I get situational depression, no anxiety though; appetite's either high or low, mostly high but my current, bout's low!
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    Contrary to what some others have said, I find comfort and solace in working out and eating healthfully and within my calories as something I can successfully control.
  • slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    Contrary to what some others have said, I find comfort and solace in working out and eating healthfully and within my calories as something I can successfully control.

I do too. Social/GAD controls me in a lot of ways and getting to class or the gym feels like I'm pushing back. I have found it to be kind of empowering.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    What is bad to you? Like suicidal bad or not getting out of bed or leaving the house bad?

I think getting professional help for severe depression and anxiety is a pretty good idea.
    Otherwise just do what you can to take care of yourself.

I meditate, walk, listen to music, talk to my partner, clean.
  • kelsiestoner
    kelsiestoner Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with the same thing and just recently decided to talk to my doctor. She started me on meds for anxiety/depression and this is my first week trying them out. I had always hoped it wouldn't get that bad but there comes a point when you know you have to reach out for help.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Besides taking my meds like I'm supposed to, I try to get as much sunshine and exercise as possible, and I find hobbies to occupy my mind. Sewing is my new thing.
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    Stay motivated? *kitten* It's all I can do to get out of bed on these days.
  • MrSith
    MrSith Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    pudgy1977 wrote: »
    Stay motivated? *kitten* It's all I can do to get out of bed on these days.

Just need a purpose whether you feel good or not. =)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    What are your advice on this?

Normally I eat right, exercise, focus on spiritual things, and keep myself busy.

Lately, I've sucked at it, gained weight from eating crappy and not exercising, skipped anything mental or spiritual, and sat on the couch a lot.

Choose wisely.
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Options
    What others have said....hard exercise. I also find release in art...meditation...but what helps ME the most is carving out enough QUIET and alone time in a week. Like, not just meditation in a quiet room but just being alone. I take a couple of 10 mile walks a week....takes me just over 2 hours and it is amazing the effect that aloneness has on my head.
  • SneakyVee
    SneakyVee Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Put yourself on a path to honor. Become devout to your cause, pious even.

Then and only then can you find the motivation within rather than around you.

Good luck pilgrim, happy turkey day upcoming