I need pointers on best things to eat.

Options
I was recently diagnosed with pancreatitis and told to eat a low fat high protein diet. I am barely able to eat without pain so wondering if anyone has pointers on what I should try.
Thanks

Replies

• originalslicey
    originalslicey Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't have chronic pancreatitis, but was just hospitalized for acute pancreatitis. I've been very nervous about eating and found that during recovery it was difficult to eat very much and that I didn't have an appetite for most foods.

If you're currently experiencing pain, you should be fasting or taking in only clear liquids like apple juice or broth.

I make sure none of my food is made with butter or oil and keep saturated fats to fewer than 10g per day. Total fat content has been about 30g per day. Less if you feel bad at that amount.

I found that I could only eat about half a portion at one sitting and that I would need to eat fairly slowly, so you may try just eating a few bites at a time and eating a little bit every few hours instead of 3 meals.

I eat a lot more fruit now - sliced fresh fruit or the pre-packaged Dole cups of canned fruit and applesauce were easy for me to eat. Plain animal crackers are non-fat and bland, so I would munch on those or saltine crackers. Toast with no butter. When I worked up to eating dinners instead of just liquids or snacks, I found that baked chicken and salmon with plain white rice set well with me. There are plenty of marinades and seasonings you can use that don't contain fat. Honey makes a nice glaze for both chicken and fish, if you don't mind the sugar. Also low-fat soups like chicken noodle, vegetable, turkey or veggie chili.

Carbonation really bothered me so I stay away from sparkling water now. I was low-carb and low-sugar before this, now I tend to eat a lot of bread and grains and a lot of fruit because I can tolerate it better than meat. Salads have not been as appetizing to me as before and soy milk has worked better for me than non-fat milk.

I would really eat very little or not at all, though, if you're currently in pain. And make sure that the pain isn't being caused by your gallbladder, as you may need surgery to remove it if you are having pain every time you eat.
  • cerin3646
    cerin3646 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My fiance has had acute paincreatitis twice now from drinking alcohol. He no longer drinks and now eats a vegan diet. Very low fat, NO OILS EVER, maybe small amounts of avocado or olives every once in a while. He eats a ton of fruits, veg, smoothie, green juice, rice, quinoa, beans,& oats. So far his health has greatly improved! Good luck! I hope you feel better soon!!!!