Recently Diagnosed as diabetic

Options
gfit581
gfit581 Posts: 7 Member
edited November 2017 in Introduce Yourself
Hi
I have just reatarted using mfp again and am looking for friends so please send invites.

About a month ago I had a call with my dr and he told me that my blood test came back and i had gone past being pre-diabetic and am Diabetic (type 2).

As i have seen the impact of this (cousin went into a coma and died, uncle leg amputated) i was really taken back.

The dr suggested meds but when i said that i am absolutely determined to loose weight and bwcome fitter he said he would review my case in three month when hopefully i have lost weight and become fitter.

He sending me to a dietician. Since that day i have gone on the 5:2 diet, cut out all sugar, sweets and limit my intake of carbs that convert to sugar very quickly like white bread (now eat granary bread instaed)

Managed to loose quite a bit of weight during a month and found the fasting days hard. On average loosing around 1kg (2.2lb) per week.

I am absolutely determined to come down from around 87kg to 68kg so my bmi is well into the normal range.

Hopefully it will reverse the diabetes (i hope).
Anyone had any success doing something similar?

Replies

• kkens2017
    kkens2017 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with diabetes in 1995 and had no success with weight loss until I found MFP. Since mid August I have lost about 13Kg and haven't fasted once :smile: . I have little knowledge of weight loss theory, but I trust the calorie numbers that mfp gives me. And consistant activity really, really, helps. I started that in August too. Thanks to medicine I still have both my legs :smile:
  • ipmac22
    ipmac22 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I think it's amazing that you are committing to hard work and healthy habits to try to reverse the diabetes! I don't have any experience with diabetes but I am insulin resistant thanks to PCOS and learning how my body processes different foods was really important for me in my journey. Rather than sticking to a diet, I understand what specific foods could be doing and impacting my body. Seeing the dietitian should really help! Have you started going?
  • gorditalindaz
    gorditalindaz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am not familiar with the 5:2 diet but lowering the carbs is definitely the way to go to address blood sugar. I was diagnosed a year ago. I am not good at taking my meds so I decided to try Keto to address the blood sugar issues. So far it is working and I feel good. I have lost 5lbs since I started tracking my weight loss 3 weeks ago my morning BS is lower than when I was taking my meds so there is hope.
  • CourtneyUT
    CourtneyUT Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Good for you for taking these steps to help save yourself. Diabetes runs in my family and it is painful seeing one person after another diagnosed. One family member immediately changed his lifestyle, lost weight and now needs to go back to the doc to see if he has made a difference. I know you can reverse it. Keep going - you are doing great!
  • gfit581
    gfit581 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. I haven't yet seen the dietician yet. I am relatively new to managing my diet. Some one above mentioned "Keto". What is that?
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Keto is a diet where you virtually limit all carbs except around 20 grams of vegetables/low sugar fruit which puts your body into a ketogenic state where ketones are produced by fat burning and used to supply your brain instead of the normal glucose. It is popular now and apparently works well for some, but personally I couldn't/wouldn't do it. I reduced my carbs to 40% (100-120 g of my 1200 calories) and keep sugar and white starch low. I use Stevia as a sugar substitute as it is a natural glycoside from a plant. I do also eat/drink some Sucralose diet foods but try to limit to a couple a day. I have tried diet and exercise alone but never been successful in controlling my levels of A1c without meds. Hope you can do it.
  • jhartnell2081
    jhartnell2081 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there I am new to all this and have a lot of weight to lose just wondering if anyone managed to get the coleslaw recipe yest can’t seem to find it anywhere and also just wondering on portion sizes does anyone know bout that cheers jo
  • Jigglypuff00
    Jigglypuff00 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    gfit581 wrote: »
    Thanks for the encouragement. I haven't yet seen the dietician yet. I am relatively new to managing my diet. Some one above mentioned "Keto". What is that?

I've been doing the keto woe since Oct 1st. I've lost 20 pounds so far. My blood glucose has gone from 160 mg/dl to averaging around 90 mg/dl. I have a doctor's appt on Monday to find out what my A1C is now. My blood pressure also went from 145/90 avg to around 115/68.

You do restrict carbs/sugar to around 20-30 grams/day. I thought it would be extremely hard as I was a big carb addict. Had to have bread and pasta at least 5 times a week. Not so much donuts, cookies or cakes. But put a plate of pasta in front of me, and I won't turn it down! Now, I barely give it a thought. I eat more now and healthier. I eat more vegetables than I ever did before. I'm rarely hungry, and have managed to do IF at least twice a week. Mainly because I'm just not that hungry.

I don't know if I've "reversed" diabetes, but at the moment, I feel better than I have in months.