Acne worse while losing weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue--in my mid-40's I had worse acne than I ever had in my teens.

Hormones are stored in fat cells and are liberated as you lose weight, and this contributes to the acne issue.
  • maura_tasi
    maura_tasi Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If you're finding the breakouts to occur around your chin/mouth area it's most likely hormonal acne. I've been dealing with acne since I was 10 thanks to some genetics from my dads side. I did two cycles of acutane and my skin has made a 180 but I still get hormonal breakouts around my chin/mouth/upper lip area. I take 100mg of sprinolactone and it's been doing what I want. I've found that the typical prescription topical creams and antibiotics just don't work for my acne. I'm also on BC which helps a bit with the hormonal changes in my skin. I can't say I have experienced excessive breakouts since losing weight (down 26lbs) but I can share some tips that might help. Always wash your face after you workout or are sweating heavily to avoid clogged pores. But make sure you're not over cleansing your face. Over cleansing can lead to dry skin which can actually cause more breakouts due to the irritation. I typically wash my face at night to "wash the day off" and either use only water or a very minimal amount of cleanser after a workout. Tea tree oil worked for a second for me but my skin adapts so quickly to anything acne treatment related so I find it doesn't do much anymore. Are you familiar with the Mario Badescu brand? They have this thing called "drying lotion" for acne. It's pink and comes in a glass or plastic bottle. I use that as spot treatments. The brand origins always makes a spot treatment with salicylic acid that has worked for me in the past as well. I tend to avoid dairy products if I can because that causes acne for me (same with high amounts of sugar). Have you had any changes in products you use on your skin (makeup, skin care products, etc)? If so, you could be reacting badly to something new. I do think you'd benefit from a dermatologist appointment! There are SO many treatments for acne and a dermatologist would be able to get a good look at your skin and your history to determine what might work for you.
  • MHood55
    MHood55 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I suffered from adult acne and advise from my doctor was to take 2 Omegs supplements at night. It worked & still working. As i recall from our discussion it helps the liver to function in removing toxins from the body. It also help to eliminate scar tissue from surgery. Try it for about 3 months & check your results. I 'm still doing it and remain free from breakouts.
  • MHood55
    MHood55 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Meant: Omega 3 Supplements
  • All_The_Bacon
    All_The_Bacon Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    jb050794 wrote: »
    How's your acne looking? I just started changing my diet and exercising 2 weeks ago, I am breaking out a lot more. I have a bit of acne anyways, but I have noticed it getting worse.

Actually, it cleared up a lot since I hit my maintenance goal. I think the people who mentioned about hormones being stored in fat were probably correct. Once I stopped losing fat, my skin finally calmed down. Now I'm back to the usual 2-3 TOM spots and not much more. Hang in there!
  • RunStart34
    RunStart34 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    This might sound totally dumb, but are you working out more and therefore sweating more - and with that, what's your body and facewashing regimen? I totally recommend tea tree oil based face washes- I've been breaking out more too and that helped immensely.

I was thinking the same. I also noticed so much more acne on my face when changing my eating habits but later thought I should also keep washing my face the same way i do at night and morning after a workout and it seem like that work. However, if the OP doesn't workout often then it might be the diary after all.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Yes it did and has started to get better when I went into maintenance for the past couple of months (tbf I didn't even consider that weight loss might be a factor!), I also tried a month of totally dairy free and my skin seemed worse for some reason so unless you have a genuine dairy intolerance I don't think dairy is the key and is one of those might work might not deals (I have however reduced my dairy consumption since finding some surprisingly nice alternatives).

Mine's also hormonal acne, I've tried every topical cream, skin care regime, vitamin, mineral, antibiotic and even roaccutane in the past. Nothing touches it (or at least doesn't for long) apart from the combined pill which I was on for over a decade but have had to come off due to side effects and being in my 30s.
  • amyslagle
    amyslagle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’ve lost 10% of my body weight in 2months, and my hormonal acne has become severe (only around my mouth). I read many articles and reports for women that it happens because fat in women stores estrogen, so fat loss can cause this imbalance as you shed the estrogen, It’s a real bummer and terrible side effect.
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    hormones are stored with fat, androgen. so when you lose weight the androgen is excreted rise in androgen often leads to acne.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Thanks for resurrecting this thread—I’ve recently cleaned up my diet (more fruits and veg, even less dairy than previously limited amount, very little added sugar—basically only what’s in my almond milk coffee creamer and salad dressing), and very little non fruit/veg/beans carbs (so basically no bread/chips/cereal except for the occasional serving of original Fiber One). Lost 5lbs, yay.

So I thought I would see amazing glowing skin—or at least normal skin. Nope, giant breakouts all over, esp around mouth/lips/jaw that I never get. Never. It’s gross. But makes sense with the estrogen release from fat, if that’s the culprit—I have low estrogen, so this increased amount is probably like a girl hitting puberty for my body 😩
  • MeganD1704
    MeganD1704 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Thank you for reviving this thread- my cystic acne and acne in general is so bad right now it is making my depression worsen. I forgot this happened last time I lost a decent amount of weight- perhaps as it was masked with accutane (2 rounds didnt work by the way haha).

Thank you for bringing this back and making me feel normal. <3
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    A majority of acne is hormonal.

Your hormones probably changed as a result of weight loss or diet changes.

Btw, I sympathize with you. I had 5 cycles of Accutane, lasers, the birth control pill for years, antibiotics for years, and every topical you can imagine. Accutane and the pill are the only things that worked but they messed me up in other ways and only worked as long as I was on them. I couldnt take them forever. I still have lingering side effects years later. I also spent thousands of dollars on lasers, peels, and other treatments not covered by insurance. None worked.
  • skinnyjingbb
    skinnyjingbb Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It is not necessary caused by your current diet but likely your past diet. There are hormones and other nutrients stored in your fat cells, when you lose fat, those stored hormones also get released. Depends on what you ate when gaining these weight, things like medication taken(eg, birth control), you can have all kinds of hormonal issue after loss 40 lbs. It should go back normal after you on maintenance for a while. It might also help with slower weight loss