Do you go on starvation?

Options
One of my friend recently is going on a diet. She doesn't eat except for a little fruits and vegetables. Then she often suffers hunger and stomach in day and night. Many of us advice her to have a meal, but she doesn't follow in order to lose weight quickly.

I think it's meaningless to do so, what do you think? Losing weight needs a process, little by little. It's not a good idea to go on starvation, do you agree?

Replies

• jdbarraz
    jdbarraz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes, to a degree. What she's doing worked for me in the past (I've lost about 70 to 75 pounds), but she can be moderate about it.

Still, for a lot of the bigger people, they simply think that eating normal is eating too little. Trust me: you have to have massive dedication to REALLY enter starvation mode, and that doesn't begin for a couple of days or so. You can wait longer than a few hours between meals.

I don't know why your friend doesn't just skip dinner or something, if she's so anxious to be hungry.
  • promiseskept
    Options
    Starvation diets work to lose weight quickly but you can't maintain it and you gain it back quickly and is very unhealthy. Your body has needs and in the long run, you have only endangered your health.
  • KatiePanda25
    Options
    I agree, starvation is not the key. Losing weight is something that we deal with day in and day out. Weight loss that is done steadily and healthy- is going to stay off (as long as you continue a healthy lifestyle). Starvation will only cause binging IMO. I hope your fiend listens to those around her, gl :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It's a very unhealthy thing to do to your body - she will be missing lots of vital nutrition and won't end up healthy.
    However, you can't make her eat, all you can do is tell her you care about her and worry that she isn't eating enough to stay healthy. Could you join a gym or go see a nutritionist together to get some good professional advice on how to lose weight in a healthy way?
  • Prettiejesse
    Options
    I agree that it is unhealthy and she will possibly gain the weight back when she goes back to a regular diet
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Im not a doctor, or a nutritionalist, etc...
    But heres my opinion..

The problem with starvation diets, is that when she reaches a point where she is happy the size she is, if she then wants to eat again she will find it very hard to eat ANYTHING and stay the same size...

However sometimes they can be good in cases where you are very close to dyeing from obesity,
    or you have a problem in the way you see food, and it can be good to break a particular habit, etc...

I realised that actually alot of the times i eat im eating just because it's meal time, not because i am hungry at all.
    so i feel in some ways maybe it is good to let yourself go a little hungry until you are ready for a meal...

But at the end of the day, each to their own!
    Which ever way makes her happier is the way she should choose!
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Yes, to a degree. What she's doing worked for me in the past (I've lost about 70 to 75 pounds), but she can be moderate about it.

Still, for a lot of the bigger people, they simply think that eating normal is eating too little. Trust me: you have to have massive dedication to REALLY enter starvation mode, and that doesn't begin for a couple of days or so. You can wait longer than a few hours between meals.

I don't know about a 'starvation diet' but I can tell you that it does take more than a couple days to enter starvation mode. The accepted number is over 21 days of severely undereating to put the body into this infamous 'starvation mode' where the metabolism slows down significantly.
  • Pistolcoach
    Pistolcoach Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Starvation is more than just a diet...its a sickness. Eating Disorders are very serious and will do long term damage to your body. It is important to understand that a person who goes into Anorexic mode has more issues than just a concern about weight. The mind of a person with an eating disorder is complex and needs specific attention. I strongly encourage you to discuss your concern with those close to her (spouse, parents etc). No matter how quickly you want to lose weight, stavation/anorexia is never a wise path to take.
  • ♚SuperHeather♚
    Options
    I am full yet it says I am going to go into starvation mode. I think 2 eggs for breakfast a lean cuisine for lunch and a lean cuisine for dinner followed by 1 and a half cups of cucumber with Italian dressing and as a snack a yoplait 100 calorie parfait is by far starving myself!
  • veracruz
    veracruz Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Starvation is so dangerous and unhealthy. I have had a very unhealthy relationship with food for most of my lfie and have gone into starvation mode multiple times which always made me feel sick - not to mention, you can't maintain that (or you'd die) and when you do eat, your body holds onto every morsel for dear life. I'm finally at a point in my life where I am at peace with what I'm putting into my body and view food simply as fuel to live. Your friend needs help (and yes, I'm recommending professional help) to overcome this thinking. My best to her - she needs your constant support!
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I think starving your body of the nutrition it needs in order to be thinner is a fundamentally stupid idea. No doctor or nutritionist would advocate it, or any other sane person for that matter. Just do it the right way and eat healthily and exercise regularly.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    She's not only losing fat, but a staggering amount of muscle. She depressing her Metabolism and her immune system. She will grow weaker. And in the end, when her will breaks, she will gain it back. And the worst part is, the weight she gains back will have none of the former muscle, just more fat, so she will be more flabby than before.
  • livinglifeandlovingit
    Options
    Starvation diets are not healthy. However, when you are making lifestyle changes in the beginning there are often hunger pangs as your body has to adjust. What your friend needs to think about is whether or not they can continue with this for the rest of their lives, and when tempted will they have enough discipline not to gorge themselves only to have to start this fruit diet over from square one. One thing that I have noticed since I have made some decisions to change my eating habits is eating smaller meals (portion control) every 3 hours is very satisfying. I make sure to consume no less than 8 10 oz. glasses of water daily to ensure that I am properly hydrated. When I have the occassional frappuccino, I don't feel guilty and it does not show up on the scale. I have learned to discipline myself when it comes to making choices. I don't like to be hungry, yet I don't want to feel sluggish and worn out after eating either. Hopefully this sheds some insight, I feel like I'm rambling.
  • avsingleton
    avsingleton Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    i think ur friend may have an eating disorder and my require counseling. i would at least suggest it to her...should something adverse happens, u won't feel bad and feel like u stood by and watched it happen.

8450787.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • noelheart
    Options
    Im not a doctor, or a nutritionalist, etc...
    But heres my opinion..

The problem with starvation diets, is that when she reaches a point where she is happy the size she is, if she then wants to eat again she will find it very hard to eat ANYTHING and stay the same size...

However sometimes they can be good in cases where you are very close to dyeing from obesity,
    or you have a problem in the way you see food, and it can be good to break a particular habit, etc...

I realised that actually alot of the times i eat im eating just because it's meal time, not because i am hungry at all.
    so i feel in some ways maybe it is good to let yourself go a little hungry until you are ready for a meal...

But at the end of the day, each to their own!
    Which ever way makes her happier is the way she should choose!

"Which ever way makes her happier is the way she should choose!", I like your saying. I think she also knows the danger of her behavior, but she just want to behave in this way to make her happy.
    As a friend, we may give her advice, but it's her choice to follow or not. we're just worried that she will be ill if she continues to do so.
  • InspiretheNow
    Options
    I will admit that I have fasted for twenty-four hours before (but I did drink water) as a way to help my body burn some of the more unnecessary extra calories that I have indulged in before. I did lose a good bit a weight just with a day's worth of not eating, but I know the human body's limitations. It is a very risky thing to do because not eating, or eating the very bare minimum, can become very dangerous. If your friend continues to eat very little, or starts even to eat less, I would contact professional medical personnel or even a professional therapist because your friend may have a serious medical condition that could do permanent damage to her body or worse.

It's important to remember that losing weight at a rapid pace is possible but unhealthy because you have to maintain such conditions on your body to KEEP it off. Slacking in the slightest sense will cause weight gain which will effect self-esteem and could drive someone to EXTREME, UNNECESSARY ideas and conclusions, like your friend believes they must do.

A steady exercise routine and a carefully watched, moderated diet is the key to losing weight and KEEPING it off. The body will become used to the lifestyle changes it is pursuing and will adapt to them instead of forcing it to suddenly make dramatic changes. The body can't just be one way or the other; it has to adapt at a steady pace.
  • noelheart
    Options
    Starvation is more than just a diet...its a sickness. Eating Disorders are very serious and will do long term damage to your body. It is important to understand that a person who goes into Anorexic mode has more issues than just a concern about weight. The mind of a person with an eating disorder is complex and needs specific attention. I strongly encourage you to discuss your concern with those close to her (spouse, parents etc). No matter how quickly you want to lose weight, stavation/anorexia is never a wise path to take.

her husband and parents know her situation, but she still doesn't listen at all.
    Honestly speaking, I don't think she is too fat, I can't figure out why she is so eager to lose weight.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    starvation diets never work, especially in the long run.

first off..starving yourself deprives you of all the neccessary nutrients and vitamins your body needs to function properly. secondly, starving usually means no matter how much weight you lose you'll still be fat. since there will be no muscle to 'fill you out'. meanly you'll be skinny fat and flabby. lastly, in the long term its not sustainable, and most end up gaining it all back or more. and its also skirting awefully close to an eating disorder

of course nothing you do or say will matter..its all up your friend. if she/he doesnt want to eat, they wont.
  • noelheart
    Options
    yes, starvation is not a long-term solution, but there are still many people try in this way.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I am full yet it says I am going to go into starvation mode. I think 2 eggs for breakfast a lean cuisine for lunch and a lean cuisine for dinner followed by 1 and a half cups of cucumber with Italian dressing and as a snack a yoplait 100 calorie parfait is by far starving myself!

I don't think the term "starvation mode" is very helpful or accurate. The way I look at is like this:
    If you consistently eat low calories then your body will probably slow down your metabolism in order to cope with those low calories. Your body needs good fuel to perform all the basic functions like breathing and digesting and walking around as well as actual exercise, work etc. Depriving yourself of calories and good nutrition isn't going to do you any favors in the long term.
    The meals you describe aren't going to "starve" you, but it is probably very low calorie and doesnt sound like enough to be healthy in the long term.