Is it safe to run with headphones in?

Options
Do people run on the pavements with headphones in?
I want to start running and I want to listen to music and use the C25K app but my mum always told me never to walk or run in public with headphones in because you can't hear whos behind you and you're generally less aware of your surroundings. Running without music sounds boring. I know my mum is a bit old school and paranoid about stuff like that but I just wondered what other people's opinions were.

Replies

• Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have just started running on pavements since it's dark and the park is closed. I keep the music quiet enough I can hear most other things going on anyway, and I make sure to look right around behind me at every junction before I cross. I also run at busy times so if something happens there will be help around!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Probably not safe, but it's what everybody is doing, so .............
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Most people I see out on the trail running are wearing ear buds...just don't crank them up so you can hear other things going on
  • jon2412
    jon2412 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I wear them but low enough that I can hear and I’m really vigilant, looking behind me every-so-often and very careful near junctions. I stick to well lit pavements and on route that I know (save learning new route during the day).
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people doing it, but it isn't the best idea. On shared use trails they don't always hear cyclists coming from behind, even when they announce themselves loudly. On city streets they may be unaware of vehicles behind them or coming from a driveway.
  • megan_elizabeth8
    megan_elizabeth8 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I make sure I wear headphones which are NOT noise cancelling, and keep my music low enough that I can still hear what is going on around me. I also look around very carefully, particularly before crossing a road.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    czmiles926 wrote: »
    Do people run on the pavements with headphones in?
    I want to start running and I want to listen to music and use the C25K app but my mum always told me never to walk or run in public with headphones in because you can't hear whos behind you and you're generally less aware of your surroundings. Running without music sounds boring. I know my mum is a bit old school and paranoid about stuff like that but I just wondered what other people's opinions were.

Personally I don't listen to anything when I'm running, but there's not an issue.

Situational awareness and personal confidence are key to your safety. Your main risk is not being aware of a car.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I personally would not do it. It's important to be aware of your surroundings.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A popular local musician died wearing earbuds. He noticed the first train but not the second.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/edmonton-musician-luke-jansen-named-as-victim-killed-by-lrt-train
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I wear ear buds but not so loud I can't hear what's going on around me.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I only use one bud when I'm outside, or need to hear my child. Use the mono setting on your player, and let one side dangle.You can still hear music, but you also keep one ear open.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    You can buy ‘ bone conduction headphones’ that you hear the sound through your bones just behind your ears thus leaving your actual ears open to hear other noise eg cars, marshals instructions etc. At some races that permit use of only this style of headphone. Of course at some you’re not allowed any headphones at all, but this could be a good compromise for you.

AfterShokz is the market leader brand.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I use mine, but I set the volume so I can still hear my footsteps.

I'm looking at the bone conduction ones though. More because I have weird ears and have trouble keeping mine in (even ones that go over my ear).
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    When I did listen to music while running, I would use Yurbuds. They are designed to allow ambient noise to still be heard and were inexpensive. The old style earbuds with foam work well at letting in ambient noise too. Many earbuds are the type that seal to your ear canal, so even with them on low they still tend to block too much ambient noise. Wearing just one, usually in your right ear so you can hear folks coming up to pass on your left, helps with this issue.

I've seen some folks with Beats over the ear headphones blissfully unaware of their surroundings or that someone was passing. I had to tap someone on the shoulder to pass on a narrow sidewalk because he never heard me behind even when I called out pretty loudly. I did have someone wear two earbuds in one of my 50k trail races on mostly single track. Even with the announcement about earphone use before the race, I practically had to shove him aside to pass.
  • milocamolly
    milocamolly Posts: 91 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I wear head phones but I also walk/run with my dog. If something odd happens he would react before I would have a chance to. He is also my guard dog so I feel safe goi f out with him and headphones in. We typically go out during the later evening when not to many people are out.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I wear one earbud. I still get my music and Runkeeper stats, but I can also hear things around me.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I wear them when I run, I just don't have noise cancelling ones or the music too long.
  • OregonRunner5
    OregonRunner5 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Where I live a lot of runners, including myself, run with one ear bud in, the other one out and carry a personal alarm. Click a button and an ear splitting noise blares.