Is Your Morning Coffee Sabotaging Your Weight Loss Efforts?

Options
TubbsMcGee
TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
edited November 2017 in Food and Nutrition
It’s incredible how weight gain, nutrient deficiency, and increased sugar cravings are associated with caffeine and sugar consumption! As a dietitian, I’m fascinated by what I’ve been compiling in my research, and what’s more, is I’ve noticed a dramatic difference in my mood and satiation through omitting my daily long black and sweet treats (I blame the kids for always having lollies around)!!

Both caffeine and sugar can block your calcium and magnesium receptors, which not only help with nerve function but also help keep cravings in check and tell your body when you’re full and should stop eating! Additionally, studies have shown that sugar is one of the most addictive substances on earth (8 times more than cocaine, actually!), making it even more difficult to nourish our bodies and remain fit and healthy.

I’ve been with MFP for nearly 10 years now in total. For 8 of those years I was eating clean, maintaining a healthy weight, hated coffee, and never had a sweet tooth. When I started culinary school, long gruelling hours made me turn to getting a caffeine fix to combat 20 hour days, and I soon realised that I had to taste test my baked goods before they went out. In a span of 10 months, I became addicted to caffeine and sugar, and stacked on 20kg. I’m now the heaviest I’ve ever been in my life.

I decided last week to cut caffeine cold turkey, and drastically reduce my sugar intake (no refined sugars unless it’s a special occasion, and even limiting fructose found naturally in fruits). I’m already beginning to notice a positive difference in my mood, digestion, energy levels, and desire to want to get healthy again (rather than just lazily accepting that I’m “now this weight”).

So now that I’ve beat my caffeine addiction, HERE’S TO KICKING SUGAR, TOO!!

Replies

• TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    You're a certified dietician?
    Nutritionist and nearly finished my masters in dietetics :)

• dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I think caffeine and even sugar is fine in moderation like everything else. Typically I drink one or two cups of black, caffeinated coffee in the morning and have since I can remember. It used to be the only caffeine I'd drink all day long. I'm not too big on sodas regular or diet. Lately I've been drinking a cup of caffeinated coffee with cashew milk, cocoa, and stevia in the afternoon; usually iced. Alternately I'll have Chai or green tea, also caffeinated. It seems to stretch the gap between meals where I used to over snack and it offers a little pick-me-up. In addition I drink both Sucralose and non-sweetened sparkling waters during the day. I usually have a cup of cocoa with cashew milk & stevia or herbal tea before bed. I don't worry about my 1-4 cups of caffeine a day but don't use sugar any longer because it would really add unnecessary calories to my daily budget. I don't believe sugar is truly addicting since I've found that using stevia or Sucralose satisfies my sweet tooth just fine and I never had withdrawals when I gave sugar up a few years back. Now most of my sugar (under 45 g) comes from fruit.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    No. I don't put sugar in my coffee anymore, and it's only a tiny bit of calories in the overall scheme of things.
  • Alamobabe
    Alamobabe Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of coffee or 2 with stevia, and yes half and half cream, I eat clean, I run. Doesnt affect my eating at all. Not really a sweet tooth person anyway. But the point I'm making is I guess it affects people different. If I want to eat something I eat it, if I don't I don't.
  • 93pear93
    93pear93 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    yap certainly sugar is not addicting at all.
    I do not remember the time I bought simply sugar or eat, of course i got sugar from food fruits etc,
    whats more interesting your taste its much better if you drop sugar, for example eating almonds I find them sweet, but the person who's on high sugar dose wont taste it.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    I have the same morning coffee now that I had before losing/maintaining weight - didn't sabotage my weight loss at all.

Since it is only unsweetened coffee granules, hot water, small amount of skim milk. 20 calories per cup.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is mildly addictive - I am aware of that and it doesn't bother me.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I drink black decaf. I like the taste of GOOD black coffee. If it's not good (I.e. most coffee in cafes in the USA) it tastes gross black. I will maybe once or twice a month have a decaf with cream and sweet (sugar or artificial) at a French restaurant or upscale cafe (not Starbucks) that makes good coffee. I refuse to pay for nasty coffee! I am very sensitive to caffeine and also lactose intolerant so the routine of sweet coffee milkshakes (lattes) would sabotage me.