Is Your Morning Coffee Sabotaging Your Weight Loss Efforts?

Options

Replies

• Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Sugar gets too much of a bad rap.

And I don't put it in my coffee anyway.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I drink black coffee every morning and then work out.

It hasn't sabotaged me.
  • Schila64
    Schila64 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    When I started this journey, I never considered to take off my morning coffee out of it. As a matter of fact I added honey to sweetened and milk. The rest of my food intake was very clean and stick to my daily calories. My weight dropped 1 to 2 lbs per week. I don't believe caffeine will sabotage your diet.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I find coffee suppresses my appetite. I drink it mostly black, I do have sugar (candy) before I workout and don't cut other added sugar out of my day. No issues here... Except when I'm trying to gain and want that appetite back, I have to reduce my coffee intake a bit.
  • changeconsumeme
    changeconsumeme Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I’ve lost 60 lbs eating sugar and drinking plenty of coffee. I think I’m okay.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I've never put sugar in my coffee, ick. (I know some like it, but it's one of those things I can't imagine liking, coffee is not supposed to be sweet.) My coffee is black, and if anything reduces my appetite. I have dropped it a couple of times since MFPing (it's something I sometimes do for Lent), and there was no benefit appetite or food-choice related.

If it helps you, yay, good for you, but if you are assuming no caffeine would be beneficial to all, I advice rethinking and researching some more, as most of the research I've seen is that it's if anything a positive, in moderation.
  • DamienAngelica
    DamienAngelica Posts: 281 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Nope, it has sabotaged nothing. I have 2 cups in the morning with stevia and skim milk and in the colder months, I often drink decaf in the afternoons. I also eat sugar and I've been losing a pound a week for several months.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I drink black coffee so no way it's sabatoging my weight loss efforts.
  • Carl_Carlson
    Carl_Carlson Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I suspect coffee's health benefits outweigh it's alleged problems. We've used it for decades to boost athletic performance and to ease efforts to "make weight" prior to competition.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Mine doesn't. It actually helps me not overeat, it surpresses my appetite. I asked a Nephrologist once about caffeine, at the time I was drinking a lot more Diet Coke than I do now, and I was honest with him that I drank 3-4 a day and he said it was fine. He said if I were drinking 12 a day it could be a problem, but normal levels of consumption is fine. Caffeine is not bad for you unless you have a sensitivity to it.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    TubbsMcGee wrote: »
    It’s incredible how weight gain, nutrient deficiency, and increased sugar cravings are associated with caffeine and sugar consumption! As a dietitian, I’m fascinated by what I’ve been compiling in my research, and what’s more, is I’ve noticed a dramatic difference in my mood and satiation through omitting my daily long black and sweet treats (I blame the kids for always having lollies around)!!

Both caffeine and sugar can block your calcium and magnesium receptors, which not only help with nerve function but also help keep cravings in check and tell your body when you’re full and should stop eating! Additionally, studies have shown that sugar is one of the most addictive substances on earth (8 times more than cocaine, actually!), making it even more difficult to nourish our bodies and remain fit and healthy.

I’ve been with MFP for nearly 10 years now in total. For 8 of those years I was eating clean, maintaining a healthy weight, hated coffee, and never had a sweet tooth. When I started culinary school, long gruelling hours made me turn to getting a caffeine fix to combat 20 hour days, and I soon realised that I had to taste test my baked goods before they went out. In a span of 10 months, I became addicted to caffeine and sugar, and stacked on 20kg. I’m now the heaviest I’ve ever been in my life.

I decided last week to cut caffeine cold turkey, and drastically reduce my sugar intake (no refined sugars unless it’s a special occasion, and even limiting fructose found naturally in fruits). I’m already beginning to notice a positive difference in my mood, digestion, energy levels, and desire to want to get healthy again (rather than just lazily accepting that I’m “now this weight”).

So now that I’ve beat my caffeine addiction, HERE’S TO KICKING SUGAR, TOO!!

Soooo have you ever been around someone who was addicted to cocaine? Yes, yes, sugar addiction is 8 times worse than that. That's why people who are addicted to sugar lose their families, jobs, and lives. Oh, wait.....
    Just a tip for the future....please do not trivialize drug addiction in order to make some sort of point about the perceived dangers of sugar, caffeine, etc.

So to be fair to the OP, he didn't say that sugar addiction was worse than a cocaine addiction, which it probably is not. He said that sugar is more addictive than cocaine, which I can't dispute personally since I never tried cocaine. I do think that sugar can be highly addictive for certain people, highly addictive.

Nope to addiction.....how many times have you seem someone pouring sugar into their mouths from a bag in a supermarket aisle....always having a bag on them or physically sick/verge of death from withdrawl from not having sugar.....

They don't have to pour a bag of sugar into their mouths. They can keep candy and chocolate in their desks!! .