What to eat out? Healthy?

Options
2writteninshadows2
2writteninshadows2 Posts: 7 Member
edited November 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
https://www.farmhouseinns.co.uk/menus

So, tomorrow I am going to Cherry Tree Farm, a carvery pub, to celebrate my sister’s birthday. The menu seems pretty decent, but - to my dismay - all the salads are served with house slaw, potato salad, cheese, croutons and dressing! I don’t really fancy making an order for these to be taken off. Also, there is no kids menu on the website!

My options are...

Salmon Fillet
Grilled salmon fillet served with baby potatoes, garden peas, hollandaise sauce and a salad garnish
OR
Small Carvery
A choice from beef, pork and chicken with pots of mash and vegetables.

With a side of a salad bowl, if the pub does it.

I worry the Carvery vegetables will all be roasted in oil and that the Carvery mash/potatoes will come will added butter. I think that the salmon fillet will be easier to log, and I can ask for the Hollandaise on the side.

My general rules for eating out is...

— avoid fried, roasted or creamy - added cheese and oil.
— avoid ‘big plate options’.
— eat off the child’s menu, where applicable.
— go for lean meats and seafood - chicken, turkey, salmon, cod.
— ‘grilled’ is my best choice.
— avoid pub-made coleslaw, potato salads and sauces - tend to be full-fat mayo and quite greasy.
— no pastry!
— eat bland!

It may sound restrictive, but I eat similarly at home than to what I do out. And, on top of it all, I am a fairly picky eater.

Your opinions? You can also look at the menu, linked above.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    From that menu I'd go lamb shank or shepherds pie.
    If you're desperate to stick to your restrictions, the vegetables look/sound plain, and you could ask for a jacket potato with no butter instead of mash
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Is the meal during the day or in the evening? If it's during the day, I'd probably eat quite a bit and then skip dinner - that always works for me.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    So many restrictions and rules you have, but you stated you are 'picky eater'. Hard to ask us how to chose options for you from this menu.

I personally could get quite satisfied by choosing options from this menu. Can you ask for things to be put on the side and/or make some swaps too if you ask for it?

Events, holidays and social gatherings will be going on all year long... my best suggestion is, be as flexible in your calorie choices as you want, enjoy food that tastes good, and its your sisters birthday and it comes only once a year...
  • motivatekait
    motivatekait Posts: 90 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Personally whenever I go out (and intend to stick to my diet) I ask for a plain chicken breast, baked potato without butter, and side of steamed vegetables (or just cooked without oil). They're all pretty standard things to pair up so I've never had an issue. I'm always full and satisfied when I'm done!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Get the salad bar and some carved meat. By your post I expected a much different menu than what I saw when following the link. That place would be very easy to eat at while watching calories.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming the "required sides" are just for specialty salads you can order off the menu and not for the salad bar. It's not really a salad bar if you're not allowed to pick and choose what you want in your salad.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    https://www.farmhouseinns.co.uk/menus

So, tomorrow I am going to Cherry Tree Farm, a carvery pub, to celebrate my sister’s birthday. The menu seems pretty decent, but - to my dismay - all the salads are served with house slaw, potato salad, cheese, croutons and dressing! I don’t really fancy making an order for these to be taken off. Also, there is no kids menu on the website!

My options are...

Salmon Fillet
    Grilled salmon fillet served with baby potatoes, garden peas, hollandaise sauce and a salad garnish
    OR
    Small Carvery
    A choice from beef, pork and chicken with pots of mash and vegetables.

With a side of a salad bowl, if the pub does it.

I worry the Carvery vegetables will all be roasted in oil and that the Carvery mash/potatoes will come will added butter. I think that the salmon fillet will be easier to log, and I can ask for the Hollandaise on the side.

My general rules for eating out is...

— avoid fried, roasted or creamy - added cheese and oil.
    — avoid ‘big plate options’.
    — eat off the child’s menu, where applicable.
    — go for lean meats and seafood - chicken, turkey, salmon, cod.
    — ‘grilled’ is my best choice.
    — avoid pub-made coleslaw, potato salads and sauces - tend to be full-fat mayo and quite greasy.
    — no pastry!
    — eat bland!

It may sound restrictive, but I eat similarly at home than to what I do out. And, on top of it all, I am a fairly picky eater.

Your opinions? You can also look at the menu, linked above.

The salmon would be fine. There was also soup or a potato.
    I don't have as many rules and am not so picky so could find lots of choices on that menu that would work for me.
  • maura_tasi
    maura_tasi Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I think the salmon filet sounds lovely and would be fairly easy to log. Ask for the sauce on the side to save you some calories. More oil will probably be used than at home, but even taking that into account you should be able to make it fit with throwing a wrench into your day. Just eat slower and when you recognize that you're full put your fork down. I had a bad habit of thinking I needed to clear my plate but now I eat a little more mindfully and find myself satisfied before clearing my plate.
  • poeciliareticulata
    poeciliareticulata Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If you google “farmhouse inns nutrition” then scroll down a few hits, there are some pdfs from the SS17 menu with all the nutritional info. They’re not linked from the allergens/nutrition page on the website and don’t have the ‘new’ dishes on them but you should be able to get an idea of the options. There’s a hit for the kids menu too.
  • megs_1985
    megs_1985 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just get what you really want and try to only eat until 80% full and save the rest for lunch tomorrow. It's a special occasion so have fun just don't gorge yourself.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    You've gotten good advice above, I just wanted to ask why you avoid roasted food. Even if it's roasted in oil, the added oil is typically a very small amount - when I roast vegetables in a generous amount of oil, it's still less than 100 added calories per large serving.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    id rather be fat than eat bland food.

*kitten*.

order what sound good. enjoy it. enjoy your sisters birthday. one meal is not going to kill you, i promise.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Anyone who thinks eating bland is a good idea is doing this wrong. As for the options, both look healthy, but the salmon is probably the healthier option. Or do what I would do. Ride your bicycle and it won't matter much what you eat because you'll burn through most of it by the time you get home anyway.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    It all sounds good. Don’t ever be afraid or intimidated to ask a restaurant to modify a dish. Salmon with baby potatoes and peas - HOLD the Hollandaise would be my choice.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Sounds like my dream place in terms of a meal out to be honest. The food they offer is actually very healthy sounding in comparison to the majority of restaurants. I love carveries as I can get in my usual quota of vegetables and protein. I honestly think you are being far too hung-up regarding one meal out and that, in the long term, that isn't really a good way to be. As long as you are not eating out all the time, you should just enjoy the times you do eat out and choose what you WANT, not what has the least calories or is the same as what you eat at home. I have to be reminded of this myself when I eat out, as I eat chicken, vegetables and potatoes on a daily basis.
  • Nomseys
    Nomseys Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The food sounds like great options in moderation. However, I don’t like your rule “eat bland.” I like my seasonings, spices, and herbs; to each their own I suppose. :smile: