All that in a chicken?

Options
Tariq_1997
Tariq_1997 Posts: 143 Member
edited November 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
So guys basically i bought a roasted chicken which is stuffed with mash potatoes.
I had like 400 grams of the breast and the drumsticks but took all the skin off.
Calculated as the amount of chicken i had, it has:
88 grams of protein
13.9 grams of carbs.
29.6 grams of fat
9.1 grams of saturated fat
0.5 grams of trans fat

So as i did i took all the skin off but i was thinking how much does skin have in it? I mean fat and calories.
Does it take all the fat off?
Thanks

Replies

• Tariq_1997
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Why not choose an entry for chicken without skin? (The USDA has them for the various parts roasted no skin.) You should probably add back some fat, though, as some of it will be in the chicken from being cooked skin on. Also, if you bought it stuffed with mashed potatoes (which seems a little odd), and ate the potatoes, check to make sure nothing else was added and add in fat for the chicken fat it would have been cooked in (I do this when roasting potatoes in the same pan as a chicken, which is also delicious.)

Well i just scaned the barcode on the bag, and no i don't eat potatoes in general. So i was thinking how much does it have of fat. I don't think there's something added cz it doesn't show. I'm pretty sure it had fat but after taking skin off do you reckon it will still have 29 grams of fat and 0.5 trans fat?
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Are those numbers from the product label? They must reflect the mashed potatoes and butter as well because it has carbs plus the fat is very high for chicken with or without skin. Sorry but removing the skin does not remove all the fat. When I boil a chicken for soup I remove the skin and still get a thick layer of fat on top of the broth because like all of us, fat is more than skin deep. If all you ate is chicken meat, I'd look for a database entry that reflects just that.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Fat ought not to be vilified anyway.
  • sgtx81
    sgtx81 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    You didn't get that much fat if you took the skin off. 1 ounce of skinless, roasted chicken breast has 1 gram of fat. You had just over 14 ounces of meat... worst case, for the meat alone, I'm guessing you had maybe 18g of fat.

I don't know exactly how they cooked that chicken, but if the potatoes were in it when it was roasting, they probably soaked some fat that would have dripped off. And if they added butter on top of that it would have made it even worse.

I'm willing to bet it killed you on sodium though. Out of everything there that would have been my biggest concern, if it was me.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    This sounds odd. Why would you buy a roasted chicken stuffed with mashed potatoes if you do not plan to eat it accordingly? Was this on sale or something?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Tariq_1997 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Why not choose an entry for chicken without skin? (The USDA has them for the various parts roasted no skin.) You should probably add back some fat, though, as some of it will be in the chicken from being cooked skin on. Also, if you bought it stuffed with mashed potatoes (which seems a little odd), and ate the potatoes, check to make sure nothing else was added and add in fat for the chicken fat it would have been cooked in (I do this when roasting potatoes in the same pan as a chicken, which is also delicious.)

Well i just scaned the barcode on the bag, and no i don't eat potatoes in general. So i was thinking how much does it have of fat. I don't think there's something added cz it doesn't show. I'm pretty sure it had fat but after taking skin off do you reckon it will still have 29 grams of fat and 0.5 trans fat?

Who knows. Buying a packaged product and eating only portions of it is hard to judge (and not an approach I would choose personally). I'm sure you lose some of the fat, but you'd have to read the label to see the ingredients and make judgments based on that.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Tariq_1997 wrote: »
    So guys basically i bought a roasted chicken which is stuffed with mash potatoes.
    I had like 400 grams of the breast and the drumsticks but took all the skin off.
    Calculated as the amount of chicken i had, it has:
    88 grams of protein
    13.9 grams of carbs.
    29.6 grams of fat
    9.1 grams of saturated fat
    0.5 grams of trans fat

So as i did i took all the skin off but i was thinking how much does skin have in it? I mean fat and calories.
    Does it take all the fat off?
    Thanks

I would not scan the bar code but find a database entry for roast chicken meat only and log that way.
    Chicken without skin is not fat free.
    https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/887?fgcd=&manu=&lfacet=&format=&count=&max=50&offset=&sort=default&order=asc&qlookup=Roast+chicken+breast+meat&ds=&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing=
    https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/896?fgcd=&manu=&lfacet=&format=&count=&max=50&offset=&sort=default&order=asc&qlookup=Roasted+chicken+drumstick&ds=&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing=
  • jeaninesteam1
    jeaninesteam1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Drumstick meat, leg meat in general carries more fat on the meat. I think a 3 oz serving of thigh meat has 11 grams of fat. Drumstick probably similar.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Huh? You stuffed a chicken with mashed potatoes?
  • Tariq_1997
    Options
    sgtx81 wrote: »
    You didn't get that much fat if you took the skin off. 1 ounce of skinless, roasted chicken breast has 1 gram of fat. You had just over 14 ounces of meat... worst case, for the meat alone, I'm guessing you had maybe 18g of fat.

I don't know exactly how they cooked that chicken, but if the potatoes were in it when it was roasting, they probably soaked some fat that would have dripped off. And if they added butter on top of that it would have made it even worse.

I'm willing to bet it killed you on sodium though. Out of everything there that would have been my biggest concern, if it was me.

I dunno i took the potato off, skin as well, thr skin was disgusting it was all fat but it was not salty at all