Explain

Options
Do you have to explain to people why you are counting calories. I mean it’s none of there business.

Replies

• neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Nope. You're right; it's nobody's business. I can't recall ever explaining my why in great detail.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Not only don't you have to explain why you are counting calories, you don't have to tell them anything. Just live your life :)
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    If you were doing weight watchers would it be more socially acceptable? Seriously you do you. Ignore everyone else especially if what you are doing is working.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Don't even tell them, if possible. Just do what you want and need to do, quietly and unobtrusively. It's your business only. Questions? Answer briefly, change the subject. Don't let it be a topic of conversation.
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You don't owe anyone an explanation, but I understand people will question (they mean well in my case). I have co-workers who question my eating habits...I just explain that I'm losing the last 10lbs and leave it at that...do I owe them that explanation? No...but it makes it easier on me to explain it that way and move on :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    At home, hubby knows of course because he sees me using the food scale.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I've never discussed it with anyone unless they ask about my weight loss first, except in the very beginning when I was visibly excited to have fun sized Butterfingers on my desk at work and got some funny looks. They didn't seem to care beyond that.

Otherwise, I don't see the point in talking about it at all.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    You only have to explain it if you are asked about it when you are on the witness stand in a courtroom under oath.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Do you have to explain to people why you are counting calories. I mean it’s none of there business.

No. I don't have to explain anything about weight loss to anyone. I don't bring up the subject of weight. I don't tell people I am trying to lose weight, dieting, how much I weigh.

If you don't want to talk about it then don't. If you do talk about it you open yourself up to questions, advice and comments.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Of course not.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    The only people I eat around already know why I count calories, so nobody really asks about it.
  • remoore23
    remoore23 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    No, you obviously don't have to explain to anyone. However, I would ask who the person who is questioning you is and why they are mentioning it. If it's someone who cares about you and is curious about, or even concerned about, your sudden change in eating habits, you might consider explaining it to them so that they don't have to worry about it even though it really is none of their business. Of course, just smiling and saying, "It's just something I like doing," is also acceptable.
  • remoore23
    remoore23 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    To directly answer your question, no one has asked me why I count calories. Personally, I think if they were polite I might not mind answering, but of course, there is no reason you have to.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    No one ever has asked me 'how are you losing weight?' or 'what tools or apps are you using to lose weight?'. That said, my goals are not anyone business really.

To this day, my own children and the rest of my family don't know I am counting calories. Way to hard for those that have no weight to lose to grasp the whole counting and tracking calories thing.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    People ask, especially at work because I have scales. They think I'm mad but I don't care, it works for me.
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Only if you choose to explain.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I don't usually get asked this question. It's not a mystery why people count calories. Usually it is to either gain or lose weight. I'd feel like an idiot asking someone why s/he was counting calories. And if the person were already lean I would assume s/he is counting calories in order to maintain. This isn't a secret or anything - people have counted calories for decades. If someone asked me why I was watching what I ate and counting the calories, I think I would just stare for a moment, then go on eating. But nobody would. Because duh.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    How do they even know you're counting calories unless you told them?
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    How do they even know you're counting calories unless you told them?

You got sucked in again didn't you? Lol