I need some ideas!

Options
I will be going out of town for 5 days over Thanksgiving break to stay with family. Which means I will be at someone else’s house eating someone else’s groceries. I’ve worked really hard to lose almost 30 pounds and I don’t want to come back from my vacation and find out that I gained ANY of the weight back. So, I am planning to bring a couple things to help me stay on track. I eat oatmeal every morning so I am bringing instant oatmeal packets for breakfast each day. I’ll also be bringing some Tuna Creations packages and I’ll probably buy a big bag of salad mix once I get there. Any other ideas? How do you stay within your calories when you’re staying with family? Thanks for your input!

Replies

• AntonyWood33
    AntonyWood33 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    30 pounds is amazing, well done! I agree with both the above comments, you know what you are doing and to be honest, just relax and have a nice time. Follow your intuition and just monitor your portion sizes and snacks. Good luck!
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Just add a salad to whatever they're eating at meals, like mix you up a big delicious green goodness plate, have that, and then have a small portion of what everyone else is. I would probably bring some beef jerky or some fruit cups for when I felt snacky so I didn't have to turn to options that might tempt me like chips and candy.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Probably best just to eat smaller to moderate portions and no seconds.

Don't mention you are watching your diet.

You can always accept the food but leave it on the plate or in the glass, especially with snacks and booze.
  • chnkysoup
    chnkysoup Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Great advice guys, thank you very much!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Just a reminder- eating food someone else has prepared (more salt), and travel can lead to water retention. Don't panic if you initially weigh more when you get home, it can take a week to lose the water weight- just remember it is only water.

Otherwise, keep an eye on the alcahol, those calories can sneak up on you when you are chatting and having fun. I now do a wine glass of ice cubes with a half pour of wine- just stretches it out and doesn't give the vinegar taste a spritzer does.

As others have said, you know your portion sizes so work within them.

The only thing that travels with me, or I special request, is a supply of mandarin oranges- weird peccadillo for decades, my morning seems wrong without one.

Have a great time.

Cheers, h.