Is it safe to run with headphones in?

Options

Replies

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I just make sure mine aren't noise cancelling and don't crank the volume too loud.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    It depends on where you are running. If you are running around town I wouldn't recommend it just because people are idiots and cant drive. Depending on where you live for trail running might want to hear what is going on around you. I have come up on a bear when I had ear buds in so now I just play my music through my phone speakers in my pocket so animals can hear me coming and I can hear what is going on around me.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I listen to music on the treadmill, but not outside.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Depends on your environment/city/neighborhood I guess. If I run out in the country I'm perfectly fine having headphones. If I go into the city to run around my college campus/downtown I have them in to help me ignore people but on VERY low.
  • ICameToGetDown
    ICameToGetDown Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I just play music through my phone on speaker while it’s in my armband. They take some getting used to, but I can hear everything
  • 2run2ski
    2run2ski Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    If you can learn to run without music, it's ultimately better. You're more aware of your body and you don't become dependent on a beat to motivate you to move. However, if you must have music, wear only one! It really is dangerous to not be aware of your surroundings. Although it was a freak attack, the recent New York terrorism took out a few bicyclists wearing buds. :(
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    czmiles926 wrote: »
    Do people run on the pavements with headphones in?
    I want to start running and I want to listen to music and use the C25K app but my mum always told me never to walk or run in public with headphones in because you can't hear whos behind you and you're generally less aware of your surroundings. Running without music sounds boring. I know my mum is a bit old school and paranoid about stuff like that but I just wondered what other people's opinions were.

I dont run with music because with how low I would have to have the music to be aware of my surroundings, and the noise from cars, I wouldn't be able to hear it anyway.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I want to start running and I want to listen to music and use the C25K app but my mum always told me never to walk or run in public with headphones in because you can't hear whos behind you and you're generally less aware of your surroundings. Running without music sounds boring. I know my mum is a bit old school and paranoid about stuff like that but I just wondered what other people's opinions were.

I agree with your mother.
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've been a runner and cyclist for over 25 years, and have come across some pretty terrifying situations. I've had encounters with wildlife as well as motor vehicles that could have ended very differently if I wasn't alert. It isn't until you put in a lot of miles - either on the bike or on foot - do you realize how many people text while they're driving; are impaired by alcohol or drugs; distracted by children or animals; or are just plain old nitwits. The number of people who have thrown glass bottles at me or "pretended" to swerve in my direction over the years is stunning.

While I suppose being attacked is a very real concern for some runners, this isn't a big concern of mine. I live in an area where virtually all of the crime is domestic or targeted drug related, not random. Yes - it's a possibility, but I'm way more concerned about being struck by a vehicle. Those claw things won't defend me against a turd sandwich driving a Suburban with his knee while eating a cheeseburger.

When I trained for my marathon a few years ago, I listened to podcasts through the speaker on my phone. I think headphones are bad news, except for short distances in a few specific areas. Yes, enjoy your life. But cranking Biggie (or Bieber?) with your noise cancelling headphones while running along a country road with low shoulders at dusk probably ain't a great idea.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    misskris78 wrote: »
    But cranking Biggie (or Bieber?) with your noise cancelling headphones while running along a country road with low shoulders at dusk probably ain't a great idea.

Before sun up, local, in town roads with non-noise cancelling headphones not blasting (I can hear my footsteps) and I've got no issues. I prefer to run with music and to use it to pace myself. I run much better and stay out of my head better that way.

OP, find what works for you and just make sure you can be aware of what's going on around you. If that means no music, then fine.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of listening to anything while I work out, in general....I like to focus solely on the exercises. But the areas that I run in, it would be a major safety concern to not be fully aware of my surroundings....so no headphones here.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I listen to loud music with earbuds while running. Probably not the safest thing to do but... I like to live dangerously apparently. LOL
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't, since it reduces your situational awareness so much. I'm always surprised at how many people run obliviously past all kinds of wild animals when we run on the trails, then I realize they can't hear anything. It's not just a matter of safety, you're missing out on hearing life.
  • curleegurl68
    curleegurl68 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I run with headphones and for safety all eyes out. I don’t run in the dark though usually in a park or quiet street
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

Your mother is not old school and paranoid. She is correct!. When you can't hear what or who is behind or next to you while running or walking, then you are prone to get run over by a bicycle, a car or what is worse harass by any human with bad intentions. You always have to be aware of your surroundings, especially as a woman.

I hope that you don't drive with two set of headphones on, because it is illegal.

Depends where you live. In most states in the US it's perfectly legal.
    https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016/10/31/is-it-legal-to-wear-headphones-while-driving/

With that said, common sense says you don't crank them up too loud.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Your mother is not old school and paranoid. She is correct!. When you can't hear what or who is behind or next to you while running or walking, then you are prone to get run over by a bicycle, a car or what is worse harass by any human with bad intentions. You always have to be aware of your surroundings, especially as a woman.

I hope that you don't drive with two set of headphones on, because it is illegal.

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016/10/31/is-it-legal-to-wear-headphones-while-driving/

Not in California!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Not in California!

My original post did not say all. It is legal in more than half the states per the article I posted, that is why I said most.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    Many of our local races don't allow headphones, because the roads aren't closed to traffic. You can get disqualified for using headphones. I like running with music, but I do many of my runs without so I don't become too dependent on it. I try to keep the sound level low enough I can hear cars coming over hills or around corners when I can't see them coming. I find I actually run better without the music, but I enjoy the longer runs better with it.