Sugar everywhere

Options
I joined this site yesterday and did my first full day's log. What I am stunned by is the presence of sugar everywhere and the impossibility of staying within the prescribed limit. Nothing I ate yesterday had added sugar. The sugar seems to come from both natural carbs like fruit, grains, vegetables but also milk and yogurt. Do others have difficulty staying inside the sugar limit?

Replies

• quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Most def. I just removed the sugar column from my diary because even if I ate nothing processed, I still went over.
  • lindalou0703
    lindalou0703 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am usually over on sugar. I dont add sugar. I dont feel I am ever over enough to worry about it.
  • katieeweiss
    katieeweiss Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I increased mine, after monitoring my sugar for a few weeks to see what was normal/too much.
  • peachyleesh
    Options
    Depends what kind of diet plan you are on. Natural sugars are not bad for you- they provide your body with energy. You just need to counteract the negative affects with exercise. Try to focus on foods high in protein and plenty of vegetables- then you may find you end up reducing your sugar intake.
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I had trouble when I first started doing this. I had trouble staying within my calorie range and keeping my carbs down. Keep logging and you will start to see the foods that are having the biggest impact and you can start eliminating them or finding healthier options to replace them. I have a crazy sweet tooth and I crave sugar at night so I found that sugar free jello is low in calories and, of course, sugar free! Good luck to you!
  • change_happens
    Options
    I joined this site yesterday and did my first full day's log. What I am stunned by is the presence of sugar everywhere and the impossibility of staying within the prescribed limit. Nothing I ate yesterday had added sugar. The sugar seems to come from both natural carbs like fruit, grains, vegetables but also milk and yogurt. Do others have difficulty staying inside the sugar limit?
    Isn't it crazy. You are doing so well, you log your food, you look at your totals and see that you have gone over in some area or didn't meet something somewhere.

There is a difference in the way your body responds to simple sugars versus those sugars found in complex carbs, such as broccoli. Just make sure that you are consuming more complex carbs rather than the simple sugars.
  • change_happens
    Options
    Most def. I just removed the sugar column from my diary because even if I ate nothing processed, I still went over.

good idea! I started to remove all of my totals, especially the protein tally. I can't consume a cow :) Some days I would like to, but most days I don't want to. MFP raises your totals for calories burned.
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    All sugars as most of us know are not created equal. I found the following article to be really helpful in "further / fully" understanding the ins & outs of it all.

http://www.reducetriglycerides.com/diet_triglycerides_sugar.htm

I still show the sugar column as I like to keep an eye on it even though the DB & almost every product does not differentiate between added & natural. I just mentally subtract anything from plain milk, fruit & veg.

As per the article too - within reason - you might still want to somewhat monitor natural sugar too - fruit for instance.

Cheers
  • BrockDoe
    BrockDoe Posts: 25
    Options
    Read the book "Sweet Poison" by David Gillespie
    You'll be surprised how much of what you think is healthy is loaded full of sugars and why it makes you fat.
    "Natural Sugars" aren't better for you, they're still sugars. It's the fibre in the natural products that helps counteract the effects of the sugar. Remove that and its all doom n gloom!
  • moderntimes
    Options
    Thanks for the reassurance. I just looked at the sugar content of fat free milk, 5 grams of sugar in 100ml.

My breakfast this morning, cup of tea on waking, muesli with no sugar but some dried fruit and nuts, fat free milk, fresh fruit, fat free yogurt, and a cappuccino with fat free milk has given me 17 of the 27 grams of sugar I'm allowed for the whole day!
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    @BrockDoe - "It's the fibre in the natural products that helps counteract the effects of the sugar."

Dang, yes I keep forgetting that - the whole plain natural is ok thing is too ingrained :O
  • BrockDoe
    BrockDoe Posts: 25
    Options
    That book made/ruined my life at the same time :( haha
    i.e fruit juice, commonly thought of as being healthy... BUT its just fructose that’s left in the glass, the fibre is all in the part you've just thrown away.
    Sultanas similar, all fructose very little fibre. Those little boxes we put in children’s lunchboxes = 127 grapes

http://davidgowing.com/fructose-obesitys-secret-weapon/
    This article touches on what the book touches on, great read.
  • Martooney
    Martooney Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am finding the same problem with sugar so I have tried to follow what my nutritionist told me which is try to avoid or limit the food you eat with more than 4g of sugar per 100g of product. It helped me go from 105kgs to a nice healthy 83kgs, unfortunately I got lazy so I am having to do it all again.
  • moderntimes
    Options
    I decided to remove sugar as it was not possible to keep within the total. One banana took me rocketing beyond the limit!