Vitamans & Supplements

Options
Does anyone take any special vitamins to help with weight loss? My brother recommended Valerian Root and I have never heard of it.

Replies

• whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Valerian is mostly for calming nerves,I've never heard of it for weight loss though
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Unless you have some sort of diagnosed deficiency, supplements just give you expensive pee.
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    The only one I find worth taking is fish oil. Supplements that tout some sort of weight loss benefit are bunk. The legal ones, anyway.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Take what you're deficient in, don't bother is you're not. Valerian is a calming agent. The only way it would help weight loss is if you're an anxiety/comfort eater. And even then, that's a stretch.
  • JoRolleNola
    JoRolleNola Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the insight guys.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    To help with weight loss? No.

To help with overall health and other things? Yes.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I take a multivitamin each day, but nothing for weight loss. Valerian is a mild diuretic, and that's why some claim it's good for weight loss. Its primary use is as a sleep aid or for anxiety (though its effectiveness is AFAIK not proven for these purposes) - if you want a diuretic, you would be better off drinking coffee or tea rather than taking something during the day that might make you sleepy (and that in its non-deodorized form smells like dirty socks).