I don't always finish my calories

Options
I have been counting calories with MFP for almost 3 weeks. I don't always consume all 1200 calories although I do get pretty close. I don't feel hungry and have loads of energy. Do I have to force my self to eat a bit more? Feel free to go have a look at my food diary.

Replies

• minnie22
    minnie22 Posts: 60
    Options
    Hi,
    Your not the only one that don't always eat the calories you should be having, if you want too you can add me & we can do this together.
  • jesienia
    jesienia Posts: 294
    Options
    I have the same issue. I almost never eat 1200 a day. I wouldn't force food...if you're not hungry then you shouldn't eat. Perhaps try to find higher calorie foods? That's what I'm trying to do.
  • Bri_and_Oli_Mum
    Options
    I find some days I struggle to get to 1200cal, and then other days I can easily eat 1500 and still be hungry.
  • 4tolose
    4tolose Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am sure you are meant to eat at least 1200 calories or your body goes into starvation mode I think. I'm not 100% about that but other people may know more.
  • tjutrostina
    tjutrostina Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have trouble hitting the 1,200 calories too most times, and it's not like I feel starved or anything. It's worse when I do workout, cos I can only do them in the evenings. Then by the time I get home, it'll be too late to eat, and my calorie count just goes way below 1,200.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Don't force yourself to eat if you're not hungry regardless if you only eat less than 1200 calories. I suggest you zigzag your calorie intake, mean you eat lets say 1100 calories today then tomorrow you eat 1300 cals then 1200 the next day etc. Also try adding nutritious high calorie foods in your diet like bananas and avocados.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    why 1200 cals?

starvation mode is a myth. there is no scientific proof of this myth and what proponents claim happens.

i notice a lot of people use this magic 1200 number. its meaningless.. that is yet another diet myth. you dont NEED 1200 cals to live or function. there is NO set rule on how much your body needs to live. that being said..we all have BMRs..and add an activity level to that is what we need to maintain our current weight. its a forumla composed of body functions/metabolism, the thermonic effect of food and activity level. this is where you should start..not just jump straight to 1200 cals..because when you do this you dont give yourself any wiggle room when you hit so called 'plateaus'.

start from your T.E.E. and go down from there. usually its 500 cal deficit a day..and from there whatever you burn with exercise is extra calorie deficit to help your weight loss goals.

ps its also a myth that eating late makes you retain fat..it doesnt...if anything is beneficial to eat, especially protein before bed...as it helps to keep your metabolism active during the long fasting of sleep, and is essential to help heal your body from the days workouts.
  • Bri_and_Oli_Mum
    Options
    I am sure you are meant to eat at least 1200 calories or your body goes into starvation mode I think. I'm not 100% about that but other people may know more.

I read that if you go under 1000cal your body will go into starvation mode. I don't think one day here and there would matter tho.
  • JoelleMonique
    Options
    I have never counted calories before and when I entered my profile on this site 1200 is what came up, no other reason. I have had a bigger breakfast this morning so today I should be on track.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Your body needs fuel to work properly and to keep your metabolism fired up and burning fat. Calories are that fuel. If you're having trouble, try eating a bigger breakfast like you did today, as well as having higher-calorie healthy snacks like peanuts and cheese between meals. Make sure the calories you do choose are from healthy, whole foods as much as possible -- you don't have to be perfect, but those whole foods will give your body more of what it needs to function. And if you work out, you need to eat more than if you're just sitting around all day to try to bring your "net" number on your home page as close to your calorie goal as possible. There are several threads around the forums about eating exercise calories, so you should find some good information with a quick search if you're curious about it.

Good luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    your food diary isnt open
  • JoelleMonique
    Options
    Sorry i changed my settings it's open now
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    First things first, 1200 is an arbitrary number and even if you go with iot it's the lowest you can go. Check you've got your MFP settings right for your activity level and recommended weightloss - 1lb a week is the best to go for to get a sustainable result. You'll probably find you have even more to eat - sorry!

Many people on MFP complain they can't eat 1200 calories a day, but most of us are here because we put on weight and it's unlikely we did that on so few calories. Can you find a compromise between what you used to eat and your healthy diet?

Add healthy fats to your diet - avocados, nuts, olive oil and so on. The latest research has found that saturated fats such as those in meat and cheese aren't all that bad for you, it's the hydrogenated ones in snacks and fast food you want to avoid. The cholesterol in eggs isn't harmful either.

Low-carb isn't always the way to go, especially if you struggle to make your calories. A large jacket potato is 390 calories and a plateful of spaghetti bolognese with cheese is 520. Yum!

Finally, what kind of exercise are you doing? Certain types make you hungrier than others. Swimming and running slowly for long distances make me STARVING, but intense sprinting or weight raining put me off my food. Don't let lack of appetite put you off eating at least a good proportion of your exercise calories, your body needs them to repair itself and build muscle.

Good luck!