ideas for non-impact exercise please?

Options
Hi all,
I find running a problem, it aggravates an old calf-muscle injury. This also happened when I went to an aerobics class. Also, walking irritates my hip! Aaagh!! Can anyone suggest good exercise for someone who's quite unfit, which doesn't involve impact or wear&tear on my hips?
Thanks
Helen

Replies

• michelle2566
    Options
    Aqua aerobics is great,good work out but very low inpact on the joints,I had a hip problem which hurt when walking and doing Zumba but was fine in my aqua class,give it a go see how it goes.
  • alright_flower
    Options
    How about cycling? I have bad knees, so also find things like running painful, but I can go for miles on a bike! I think the elliptical trainer is also meant to be better for joints than running on a hard surface. What about swimming too?
  • Angelhurt
    Options
    SWIMMING!!!!

it is the best form of excercise for someone with an old injury. I have an incureable knee disease that has put the left side of my body oout of line, so i have ankle, knee, hip and back problems. i cant do anything high impact so i go swimming (which i have succeeded to do at competition level so is definitley good to do), i go on the eliptical and stationary bike at the gym aswell...but my problem is joints not calf injury so id try those as an option but not sure if they will work for you, but they are definitley more gently and can be done at any level.

id also look into some herbal remedies, there are so many around that can help. and maybe yoga or something? im afraid it will probably be a bit of trial and error for you till you find whats right.

good luck x
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Palatise is great, you are I have bad knees so I know what you mean, bur palates is all about the tummy, and you will sweat, get the video called cardio palates by Anna cabone
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I second the suggestions of water aerobics and the elliptical but I will add besides water aerobics you could do treading water. When I first started exercising thats what I did. Ive had 2 knee replacements and a hip replacement. I still have one bad hip so I know what you mean about the pain while walking. One thing I find that does work is to use the treadmill but at a lower incline. If I put it at too much of an incline my hip will bother me but at a lower one I am ok. I cannot doing the bikes as it hurts my hip too much.

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]4925355.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    Indoor Rowing?
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Google "seated exercises" or "chair exercises.' Good stuff. My mom has really bad joints and she does seated exercises and they're awesome. I know one of her DVDs is called "Chair-a-cise," and that stuff is HARD! But no impact on your joints. It's amazing.