Best cycling clothing?

Options
I have a question for fellow cyclists, specifically UK females, regarding the best brand of clothing for cycling. I recently bought a bike and I have been wearing my Nike running gear (leggings, long sleeve jersey and waterproof lightweight jacket), however I am still absolutely way too cold, I cycle next to the river medway so believe me when I say it gets more than chilly this time of year.
I'm interested to know what brands you guys recommend before I head to the shops? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you can get it where you are, but here in the U.S. the best I have found is the store brand from Performance Bicycle. It is also cheaper than the other high quality stuff out there.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,895 Member
    Options
    I wear all sorts of different brands of cycling clothes. It usually comes down to personal preference. But since you're in the UK check Chain Reaction Cycles, Wiggle, Ribble and places like that. Also do check your local shops. Try on stuff, move around in it, etc.

As for being cold, I tend to go with a sleeveless jersey, a long sleeved jersey (and two of my long-sleeved jerseys are running jerseys), a long-sleeved polypro top which I picked up at a general sporting good shop (Anaconda, here in Australia ... you could check Decathlon), and a long-sleeved merino wool jersey.

On my legs are shorts and leg warmers, or maybe shorts and tights (leggings with articulated knees).

I go with quite heavy wool socks over a thin sock ... the two layers seem to help.

My jacket is a decent quality waterproof breathable one with long pit-zips for ventilation from MEC in Canada (similar to Anaconda and Decathlon).

And I wear a fleece headband from a dollar store in Canada under my helmet.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    @TimothyFish thanks for your response, I've had a look online and unfortunately that brand doesn't come up :disappointed:
  • ghudson92
    Options
    @Machka9 Thank you so much for those recommendations :smile: my running stuff is all too lightweight I think as I am an absolute sweaty mess when running. Need to get something a bit warmer for the bike! I will check those brands out that you mentioned :smile:
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend having a light breathable, windproof outer layer. Running gear is great for breathability, but not on wind- of which is a big factor for cold in cycling. Check for some sort of wind-proof claim on the label before you buy. Layering is key, especially to keep your clothes versatile from season to season. Once you have a the wind layer, wear a base layer thick enough to insulate. This will take some trial and error. Fleece or wool works well, remember it still has to be breathable or else you'll get clammy. I also add a headband, full-fingered gloves, helmet cover, and thick socks. You tend to warm up after riding a while, so it's nice to have many laying pieces to take on and off until you figure out what the right layers are.

That's the best generic info I can give since I'm in the US. Have fun!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above. Layering is the answer, wool is fantastic especially next to the skin.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    There's loads of online sales at the moment in the UK with big discounts during the end of season sales - checkout Wiggle, Evans Cycles, Cycle Republic for example .

Original retail price is actually a reasonable guide to quality but like most things at the very high end you end up paying an awful lot more for something better, but not massively better, than mid-range.

Altura, Gore and DHB are good value IMHO.
    Castelli gear is lovely but expensive and their sizing is tiny.

• ghudson92
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I know it was a seemingly obvious question, but there is so much choice for absolutely everything now that it can be difficult to know if you are buying the right thing!
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I don’t know if you use cleats or trainers but if you’re using cleats then do not underestimate the benefit of overshoes (sock like covers that go... over your shoes). It’s my feet and hands that get cold so I use double socks, toe covers over the front of my shoes then seal skinz neoprene overshoes on top of that. Yes the overshoes might look a bit daft but they do delay the frostbite!
    I also often wear cycle shorts under long bottoms, and you might want to check the lovely fleecey lines Castelli arm & leg warmers that you can put on under layers or use if you’re unsure of the weather or if it’s changeable.
    A decent jacket that is breathable and doesn’t turn you into a sweaty mess is a worthwhile investment. Altura make some reasonable kit at reasonable prices.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    @TimothyFish thanks for your response, I've had a look online and unfortunately that brand doesn't come up :disappointed:

You can't see the website at www.performancebike.com over there? I would expect you to be able to see the site, I just don't know about shipping and taxes.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I know it was a seemingly obvious question, but there is so much choice for absolutely everything now that it can be difficult to know if you are buying the right thing!

My top picks over the years:
    Altura NightVision jacket for short rides and commuting use. (Too sweaty for long rides for me though.)
    Merino wool socks or SealSkinz
    Shoe/toe covers (any brand)
    Good gloves.
    Arm warmers (most useful Spring and Autumn to change a short sleeve into a long sleeve, great place to wear something hi-viz)
    Compression top/base layer. (Doesn't have to be cycle specific.)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    If you're going to ride with intensity, dress so that you're a little chilly when you first walk out the door. You'll warm up when you start moving. Otherwise, you'll overheat and sweat too much, which can be a problem if you slow down.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I like de soto, castelli, and craft. You probably need some windproof layers - look for Gore's WindStopper fabric.
  • DAGridesagain
    DAGridesagain Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Wiggle (DHB - own brand and generally good value) or Decathlon. Or you could go Rapha if you want to spend silly money!

You should also keep an eye out for 'specials' at Aldi. I got myself a great autumn weatherproof top for only £25.

Generally, my tip is layer up. I don't like getting cold (or wet!) so will often go out with 3+ layers. Pay particular attention to your extremities - hands & feet always suffer if I forget. Aluminium foil 'foot covers' really help me keep my toes toasty.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    @Machka9 Thank you so much for those recommendations :smile: my running stuff is all too lightweight I think as I am an absolute sweaty mess when running. Need to get something a bit warmer for the bike!

on bikes you create your own windchill, a lot more than you do when you run. so you generate warmth but you also shed it almost immediately unless you're dressed right. the trick is to find clothing that allows you to carry your own biosphere bubble around at the same time.

i always like wool. wool plus a layer of whatever is windproof makes all the difference, especially in a high-humidity version of 'cold'. and if you don't want to drop a ton of money on expensive experiments, thrift shops are full of the stuff. the wool traps your body's warmth for you and the top layer keeps it from being stolen by your own speed.

a scarf or balaclava is also great when it's cold enough. not just for protecting your face, but if you're really feelng the cold you can tuck your chin and use it to kind of funnel warm air down your own neckline. i'm not saying this doen't look odd to bystanders of course. i'm just sayin', it works.

in general i find a lot of snow-sport equipment to be an adequate crossover. skiers and boarders both need good wind barrier and lots of play in the knees and hips, and skiers for sure also need gloves with enough articulation to allow them to grip.
  • suzjmac
    suzjmac Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I cycle in cold weather in The Peak District and Snowdonia.
    I generally find there is poor choice in the shops for ladies. I buy online.( eg Chainreactions, James, wiggle.) I have made some mistake purchases! Therefore, my advice is too invest in a decent windproof jacket and thermal quality cycle tights.
    Face - an extra layer of face cream and lipsil. Neck tube or balaclava
    Core - Base layer, +/- base summer vest. Windproof jacket ( gore windstopper). I carry a light waterproof jacket for longer days in case of risk of chilling when stopping for punctures or rain.
    Legs - thermal bib or tights. ( commando style is more comfy! ) I wear 3/4 endura baggies over tights as an extra layer on really cold days near freezing.
    Gloves
    Overshoes. Just bought some endura mountain bike overshoes and wow they keep your feet cosy.
    Plan a visit to a cafe on route. Some offer ' lycra discount"!
    I prefer cycling in winter. It is so peaceful up on the moors.
    Suz

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Two of my favourite on-line shops are in the UK and both have, from time-to-time, great deals on clothing & equipment......

chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/clothing

https://ribblecycles.co.uk/clothing/

Something you probably want to consider for colder weather riding are bib tights (no gaps for that cold air to infiltrate) and a good windproof jacket with lighter layers underneath (for really cold weather merino wool is hard to beat) if your hands are susceptible to the cold check out "lobster" gloves (a mitten/glove hybrid).

As far as brands go you can't go wrong with any of the name brands like Sugoi or Castelli or Craft. I'd think that either Ribble or Chain Reactions house brand stuff is pretty decent quality too.
  • ghudson92
    Options
    Thank you everyone :smile: as always, the mfp community has been super helpful!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I ride a spin bike inside so I typically dress lightly. I assume you need warmer clothes like padded pants or padded tights?

I like the brands: Aerotechdesign out of Pittsburgh, Hincapie in South Carolina, plus I get a lot of gear used on ebay and Poshmark. I've also gotten cool things from around the world on Etsy.

Another main stream brand that comes to mind is Pearl Izumi, too.