Is it safe to run with headphones in?

Options
13»

Replies

• kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I run before sunrise with ear buds, on the road facing oncoming traffic. There aren't a lot of cars out at that time, but I can plainly see one coming and I jump on the sidewalk until it passes. Just pay attention to your surroundings.
  • fivelongmiles
    fivelongmiles Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have headphones with three settings - noise cancelling, "normal", and reverse. I keep putting them on reverse, where they amplify the natural sounds, for my walk home... then forgetting and scaring the heck out of myself with loud noises when I get home :D
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    only on a treadmill when running

....... and wearing them while cycling is asking for trouble (and pain)
  • jenno369
    jenno369 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I wear one ear bud, leaving the side where cars/bicycles/other runners may be passing open. The few times I have gotten caught up and decided I "needed" both in, I ended up being startled by something passing me and found it just wasn't worth taking a chance
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with running/walking with loud music, I am always well aware of what's going on around me and roughly who's where. I run/walk like I drive, head on swivel keeping an eye out for idiots, and potential obstacles.

• brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I run with one headphone in my ear, the other out. Allows me to hear everything around me and stay alert.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    As long as you're doing whatever YOU need to do to maintain SA.

I certainly wouldn't use noise cancelling headphones.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    I get on my wife (who runs more than I do) all the time about having her music too loud. If it's dark she stays in our subdivision but ultimately I'm not sure how much safer that is with the amount of people I see coasting to the stop sign in front of our house texting.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm a big fan of situational awareness, I also find music distracting while I'm running.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I run with headphones that allow plenty of ambient noise in (Plantronic Backbeat Fit). Also, since I usually listen to talk radio type podcasts when I run and keep the volume at a 'conversational' level I can still hear everything going on around me.

The thing about hearing your footsteps is a pretty good measure of awareness. If you can hear your sneakers hitting the ground, you can hear enough ambient noise to be safe.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Much like many other posters, I tend not to run outside with headphones on as I like to be able to hear cars, cyclists and other pedestrians. Also, I know from when I cycle, that it is pretty annoying when you ding your bell for someone to give you space to pass and they can't hear because of headphones (I trail cycle, which is obviously shared by runners and dog walkers).
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Much like many other posters, I tend not to run outside with headphones on as I like to be able to hear cars, cyclists and other pedestrians. Also, I know from when I cycle, that it is pretty annoying when you ding your bell for someone to give you space to pass and they can't hear because of headphones (I trail cycle, which is obviously shared by runners and dog walkers).

Exactly this. I am amazed on the number of people on trails that have absolutely no situational awareness. When you pass them, they are obviously startled. If person with nefarious intent (!!) came along...........they would have no chance!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I jog on the sidewalk around my house and the primary thing I worry about is cars. Like 80% worry about cars, 20% worry about tripping on a crack. It's a dense neighborhood but a fairly safe one, but drivers are morons everywhere. I do wear headphones, but not noise-canceling and not too loud. I totally get the importance of situational awareness, but it sounds like your mom might be worried that some stranger will jump out of the bushes at you if you're wearing headphones. Leaving aside the fact that strangers almost never jump out of bushes at anyone, not wearing headphone won't do anything for you if you're zoning out. Just be aware of your surroundings and be really careful at intersections and alleys and driveways.
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I use headphones, run on sidewalk, and if no sidewalk, run against traffic...and of course stay as close to the shoulder as possible.
  • twinkles4
    twinkles4 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I would say no. You should always be aware of your surroundings, but then I'm soooo bad for this. I listen to music WAY to loud and with noise-cancelling headphones. Husband started going with me just because he was tired of sitting on edge until I got home and because I almost got struck by lightening.

Last summer on one of my runs, it was a bit cloudy, but nice and warm still. I had my music going and was about 3k in. You know, I would have heard the rumblings of thunder if my music wasn't so darn loud. I was coming up to a street corner and suddenly POW!!! power pole right beside me got stuck by lightening.

Honestly, it was the loudest, brightest, scariest moment of my life.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the replies... ok, I didn't read any of the replies, but whatever.

Being "safe" is a relative term. You're "safe" if the risks you're taking are within a comfortable level for you. So what's safe for one person may or may not be safe for someone else. Also, there are a zillion factors that play into your feeling of safety.

Your mother was right... it is easier to lose touch with your surroundings if all ambient noise is blocked/drowned out. How big of an issue that is depends on you, the area in which you run, etc etc.

You can always run with 1 earbud, if you wanted to... I know a lot of people who do that. Personally, I hate headphones, so I can't really speak to your question with any meaningful first hand experience.