I feel terrible when I diet! Help!

Options
2»

Replies

• hendrijm
    hendrijm Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help! I will try 1550 for a while and see if that helps. I haven't been good at keeping a journal updated here. I know I'll feel better at the higher calorie level.
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Hendrijim, if you still struggle on 1550, try lowering to that over a few weeks rather than just dropping to it in one go.

I have a medical condition that can affect me physically and mentally, and so can't survive on anything lower than 1200, which is fine going on non-sports days. I sit on my backside at work but do intense exercise 5-6 days a week and easy exercise 1-2 days a week.

But to get to 1200 from my usual intake I have to lower by 100-200 calories a week, so my body can adjust to the reduced calories over time.
    As you are so active during the day, it might make it easier to lower to your desired calorie intake in manageable increments.

I make it easy for myself by setting up my 'diet' before I start, I drop snacks or main meal additions, so that I know how much less I'm eating just by not having it the next week. I also swap things out for the same effect, banana-egg pancakes instead of flour-based, cauliflower-rice instead of rice etc.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    hendrijm wrote: »
    Thanks for all the help! I will try 1550 for a while and see if that helps. I haven't been good at keeping a journal updated here. I know I'll feel better at the higher calorie level.

just as a note as well...2 or 3 lbs a week is a bit much..1lb is a good rate of loss.

"I only lose 1, 2, or 3 pounds a week"

just be patient...you didn't gain it all in a month...you won't lose it all.

As well stop thinking of this as a "diet" which has an end point. Move your thoughts to changing how you view food and what it is for.

Food is fuel for your movement, exercise etc. If you eat too much (just like putting gas in the car) it spills out and is of no use...if you don't get enough you get sluggish and stop.

log your intake accurately and consistently...using a food scale and notice how you feel if you eat certain types of foods like protein will help you feel fuller longer...fats are satisfying...try drinking water instead of snackign to make sure you are hungry etc.
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Dieting is a long journey. Pick a pace you can realistically finish with.
  • minstine
    minstine Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have endometriosis too! I had stage 4 when i was 16. Just had a hysyerectomy in June that is helping. (even though it's not a cure for it). I tried for years to diet and I felt sick too. Now i eat 1870 calories a day. Sometimes a little less. And I've lost a couple pounds already. Some days when I get a flare up and feel sick I'll just make sure i eat healthy and not count calories. Slow and steady!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You're probably eating more than you think.