Staying Active Thanksgiving

Options
My town has fun things like Turkey Trot and Parade of Lights to encourage exercise over Thanksgiving weekend. Plus my local gym is 24 hours. I was somewhat dreading going to see family for 4 days due to lack of activity there. Small town surrounded by hunting. The local gym is owned by the city so horrible hours and none on the holiday weekend. My husband just contacted the hotel and they do have a workout room can use for $3. Not sure the condition but way better than nothing!

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Do you own sneakers? Bam! Exercise equipment!

/excuses
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

/excuses

Might be too cold or not have safe places to run.

OP, I'm all about staying active over the holidays, too. Thankfully, my gyms are open as is my yoga studio so given the fact that I have Wed. - Fri. off I'll be doubling my workout time probably. Not attending Thanksgiving this year so it's just me, the gym and yoga. I'm so looking forward to it!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

/excuses

Indeed. Christmas Day last year I did a ten miler.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    796fra wrote: »
    My town has fun things like Turkey Trot and Parade of Lights to encourage exercise over Thanksgiving weekend. Plus my local gym is 24 hours. I was somewhat dreading going to see family for 4 days due to lack of activity there. Small town surrounded by hunting. The local gym is owned by the city so horrible hours and none on the holiday weekend. My husband just contacted the hotel and they do have a workout room can use for $3. Not sure the condition but way better than nothing!

Sounds like a plan.

I enjoy working out at hotel gyms. The challenge of figuring out what to do with the equipment provided is fun.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    We will be visiting my mother in Pittsburgh, but we are having dinner at my cousin's house. I will get up early on Thursday and hit the local trail for a run and on Friday I plan to do a yoga video. We will drive home on Saturday. We are taking my dog with us too and my mom does not have a fenced yard, so there will be plenty of dog walking (and excuses to get out of the house) too.
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

/excuses

meh. That still seems like excuses to me. Given OP's profile picture, I don't cold is a determining factor. And I can't imagine safety being so big of an issue that you can't figure out a way past it. Drive to a neighboring community... run during daylight hours... etc. But I'm not a woman, so maybe I shouldn't be commenting.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    It's not so terrible to miss a few days but do what you can.
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options

/excuses

meh. That still seems like excuses to me. Given OP's profile picture, I don't cold is a determining factor. And I can't imagine safety being so big of an issue that you can't figure out a way past it. Drive to a neighboring community... run during daylight hours... etc. But I'm not a woman, so maybe I shouldn't be commenting.

Maybe not.
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    Options

/excuses

I'm a woman. I agree with you.
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    My local gym has a Burn The Turkey group exercise event. You don't have to be a member, and it's free, so the boyfriend and I are going to go out there Thanksgiving morning and see what it's all about.
  • jjpptt2
    Options

/excuses

I'm a woman. I agree with you.

That I shouldn't be commenting, or that there are ways around it if it's important to you?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    We will be visiting my mother in Pittsburgh, but we are having dinner at my cousin's house. I will get up early on Thursday and hit the local trail for a run and on Friday I plan to do a yoga video. We will drive home on Saturday. We are taking my dog with us too and my mom does not have a fenced yard, so there will be plenty of dog walking (and excuses to get out of the house) too.

There is a hot Vinyasa yoga class in Pittsburgh on Friday for $5. :grimace:

Thanks! I will probably be working around the schedule of others, so most likely I will just get up early and get it done.

I agree with the poster that said just to do what you can. It won't kill you to miss a few days so don't stress over it. Personally, I can't stand the thought of sitting around eating all day and doing nothing else. I really look forward to hitting this particular trail I run on when I visit my mom. At the same time, I also understand that I don't get to see my family that often and they can take it personally if I up and leave in the middle of the day to run. That's why I try to get it done with when it least disrupts everyone else's plans. If I can't make it work, then I just try and do what I can with them in mind.
  • olive1968
    olive1968 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I've made myself a plan for the week: lifting M,W,F. Cardio mix (gym and outside) T. Big hike/walk with my daughter Thursday morning. And a walk later. Big hike Saturday. I'm super excited to stick to my plan!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I'm home for Thanksgiving. The annual Turkey Trot is our biggest annual race, so I'll be getting my 5 mile run in (and Thursday isn't even normally a running day for me) + probably a 5 mile walk back to the start. My gym will be open (but I weight train M, W, F - so mute point). Unfortunately, no dancing events - but overall will be more exercise than a typical Thursday (usually a rest day - walking, Tango, errands).

This last weekend, I was in Pittsburgh for a Tango marathon (staying in the Squirrel Hill area) - awesome decent-sized, forested park with hills and dirt trails practically around the corner from the townhouse we rented - I was in heaven. (Alas, limited time though - so was only able to get about 3 miles in each morning unless I wanted to give up some more of my 5-1/2 hours of sleep).
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    796fra wrote: »
    Small town surrounded by hunting.

Yeah-I'd probably stick to road running, unless you also have some county/state forest land with no hunting allowed and good enforcement (and still don't forget blaze orange everything).
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

/excuses

I think it is more to do with hunting?
  • jjpptt2
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

/excuses

I think it is more to do with hunting?

I mountain bike and trail run during hunting season, in a town where schools are closed on opening day BECAUSE it's opening day... so that excuse is lost on me. Wear a bright color, go during daylight hours, stay on the road if you want to be extra careful.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I had the “have sneakers, exercise in the bag!” idea when I visited my in laws—also in rural hunting land, house on a highway. I’d go anyway. And each time be chased by unleashed/unfenced dogs for miles. Kept changing my routes and running. Finally last time I was chased and bitten by 3 Rottweilers. Nothing says family fun like a day talking to the sheriff, getting shots, and then worrying about rabies for weeks.

So safety may be an issue. Also, to the poster who said just drive to another town...um, the one 40 minutes away? That’s the option by my in laws...bc, rural. Mostly the option is run along highways with no shoulder, with semis speeding along and no one expecting pedestrians (seriously terrifying at times—had to jump off the road and almost fall down a hill more than once, hilarious at others when people repeatedly stop to see if I need help).

Granted, I now run the most dog free route and hope for the best, but not being able to run safely can be legit.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

/excuses

The OP's profile picture looks like she's hiking in the snow, so probably not a big deal for her.