Eating only pre-packaged food to lose weight???

Options
2»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    If it's really below 1200 calories, you will lose weight, but it doesn't sound healthy. I don't understand avoiding fruit for the carbs, and then flavored(?) yogurt is ok? No snacks, and then you'll eat a snack anyway?

This. OP did you ask why no fruit?

From OP's post: "Yes, doctor said no fruits as they have too many carbs."
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    If it's really below 1200 calories, you will lose weight, but it doesn't sound healthy. I don't understand avoiding fruit for the carbs, and then flavored(?) yogurt is ok? No snacks, and then you'll eat a snack anyway?

This. OP did you ask why no fruit?

From OP's post: "Yes, doctor said no fruits as they have too many carbs."

Sorry I missed that post. Thanks!

Still I don't understand why yogurt would be ok since many of them contain as many carbs as fruit.
  • ttreit
    ttreit Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    witcherkar wrote: »
    He said to have no more than 1400 calories a day. But my goal is more of 1200. I have breathing problems and have gone into respiratory failure 10 times in 3 years. The quicker i can get weight off my chest, the better for my lungs and heart. Thats why hes monitoring my weight loss and if its too fast, will make me eat more calories. I rely on my mom for somethings but ive worked with therapy for a year to get as independent as i an which is a huge accomplishment. I can bake chicken and steam veggies in my oven. Shes not a caregiver. More of a helper. Helps me shower, cleans the house, do any outside work, takes me to appointments and stores. I try to be an adult and independent. I hate having to rely on other people when i have been independent since i was 16 and been in this wheelchair for a year... I hope i answered everyones questions. Oh and i cant affors to buy more kitchen appliances.

I know you want to get the weight off as fast as possible but sometimes slower is faster. I'd aim for 1300-1400 every day otherwise as MANY of us have experienced in the long run you'll end up going backwards.

If you want to go faster add as much movement as you can (weight lifting might be a good option) and maybe one day a week do a fast or very low cal day. But only one day a week.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Bird's Eye has some great SteamFresh packages.
    A group that is higher protein than you'd normally get with vegetables - though not that high compared to meat.
    A group that is the current popular ancient grains and such.

Those heat in microwave, and might be decent enough tasting compared to high sodium offerings.
    One bag is 300-600 cal depending on version.

The estimate of amount of servings in package is of course very off, actually weigh the bag before you heat it, remove contents after done cooking, weigh empty bag, calculate servings per package.
    They seem to be good getting the stated weight in the bag, so could just use that too.

Except the calories are typically given for frozen, not cooked, so weighing after it's cooked will be way off as well.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing great with the restrictions you have on cooking and what not right now, and I applaud your independence. People seem to forget that 1200 isn't too little calories if you are petite, female, and fairly sedentary.

My only advice to you is to perhaps find a better shake if you can. There are plenty of shakes that have more nutrients than an atkins shake. I'd do a low calorie protein shake and put in a scoop of Greens blend or something. I'm not sure what they have in your area, but I used to get this stuff that was basically vegetables and fruit in powder format. It wasn't high in calories, and had all the micronutrients. A health food store or drug store or Wal Mart would have something similar I think. If you have a blender, some frozen greens might even be a good addition. Some kale or spinach.

We all end up doing this weight loss thing within the parameters that life sets out for us, and that is okay. You seem to have a good problem solving ability in that regard. I know a lot of people who would just say, screw it, I don't have a stove and no one wants to help me I'm just going to eat take out.

So just keep doing what you are doing. You'll get your oven back in no time and have more options. In the meantime you're doing great.

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    A group that is higher protein than you'd normally get with vegetables - though not that high compared to meat.

Those heat in microwave, and might be decent enough tasting compared to high sodium offerings.

The estimate of amount of servings in package is of course very off, actually weigh the bag before you heat it, remove contents after done cooking, weigh empty bag, calculate servings per package.
    They seem to be good getting the stated weight in the bag, so could just use that too.

Except the calories are typically given for frozen, not cooked, so weighing after it's cooked will be way off as well.

Yes, but the weight of the bag doesn't change with cooking...
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options

Yes, but the weight of the bag doesn't change with cooking...

It does if there's a lot of ice in it and it evaporates during cooking. Although I tend to assume I'm not supposed to be counting the ice, so I would think post-cooking weight might be more accurate, although did the ice come from the air in the bag or from liquid that was in the veggies to begin with ... What I end up doing is discarding any loose chunks of ice that I can before weighing, and then cooking.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

That's why you have to do as I stated.

Weigh before heating, weigh bag after heating and emptying.
    That would be the frozen weight of product, per the label comment.

Or accept they are very controlled about hitting their stated grams on the bag.