pain in my leg

Options
So im in my 3rd week of Insanity and i feel great except for my right leg, on my shin... Ive never had a shin splint so i dont knwo if thats it but it hurts when i work out or just when im doing y every day things or sitting here.... what could i have done or how can i fix it?

Replies

• nebraskadan
    Options
    That does sound like a shin splint to me (not a doctor). I struggled with them in college playing rugby. You can push through all but the worst ones without damaging yourself worse, but it won't fully go away without rest. Really depends on your pain tolerance. You get it from too much force on your shin bone, if I remember right. If you are new to exercising and really are going at it, it may be your connective muscles aren't built up enough to handle the punishment.

Ice and rest are really the only treatments that work. Good luck.
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    it depends, shin splints as used by the public at large covers many leg related problems

do you gently warm up and stretch out you muscles?

over stretching them or stretching them while cool can cause problems

and do you fully stretch them out in a warm down period?
  • tuskegee4
    tuskegee4 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Had same problem yesterday. Search message board for shin splints, I got some great advice yesterday and from recent posts. I roll a cold bottle or can over my shins before and after exercise and I'm trying to be more consciuos of how I land on my feet.
  • katelyn002
    katelyn002 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Insanity comes with a warm up and cool down period so i follow them

it depends, shin splints as used by the public at large covers many leg related problems

do you gently warm up and stretch out you muscles?

over stretching them or stretching them while cool can cause problems

and do you fully stretch them out in a warm down period?
  • katelyn002
    Options
    Is that how you get them? mainly from how your landing exercises?
    Had same problem yesterday. Search message board for shin splints, I got some great advice yesterday and from recent posts. I roll a cold bottle or can over my shins before and after exercise and I'm trying to be more consciuos of how I land on my feet.
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    can be a simple case of change of shoe, but there are many forms of "shin splints" perhaps a visit to a phyisothearpist would tell you what the problem is.

I suffer from muscle ache on the outside muscle of the shin, not technically shin splints as I found out from a visit to my physiotherapist. and have changed the order and method of how I warm up and apply streches. at no point have I been advised to apply a cold compress but then again my condition has been dianosed by a health professional.
  • katelyn002
    Options
    Thank you so very much