Walking to add or not too add..

Options
I walk for 30 min twice a day to and from work to the station, its not a leisurely pace as I either have to be rushing to work or rushing for the train but its not power walking either.

I was thinking of not including it as exercise what do you guys think?

I mean i do think walking is exercise but maybe if I go out my way to walk like at lunch (which I do) or in the eve I will count that but not in the morning.

Thoughts?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    have u always walked to and from the station? if so then no, dont count it. If you have started walking as part of your healthier lifestyle then count it.
  • lcarter25
    lcarter25 Posts: 288
    Options
    always as in when always since i joined mfp yes but not always more so the last couple of months

but i agree maybe i wont count it - but technically if i get a new job which doesn't have the walk in what will happen? Or if i get the bus in one day what happens??
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    If you're counting as 'sedentary' then go for it.

If not, probably not. :smile:
  • lcarter25
    Options
    If you're counting as 'sedentary' then go for it.

If not, probably not. :smile:

I am down as sedentary
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    It's not about whether you've always done it. It's about what your activity level is set as. If you're set to sedentary, then yes, add it. If it's anything above that, then no, I wouldn't.
  • sharonuk10
    sharonuk10 Posts: 277
    Options
    Walking is exercise. The British Heart Foundations recommends at least 30 mins physical exercise a day and walking is included. Now rather you add it as exercise is up to you. I do because my activitly level is sedentary.
  • unett99
    unett99 Posts: 1
    Options
    i do about 6 hours of walking a day due to my work in a factory, covering anywhere between 8 and 12 miles per day according to pedometer, but i only count it as 4 hours as not on the go for the full 8 hours
  • jagoochie
    jagoochie Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    i set my activity as sedetary as i sit at a desk all day. so i count my teatime and lunch walks around the block :)
  • pinktoesjb
    pinktoesjb Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I don't count walks between work and home unless I really rush it and I know my heart rate has increased as a result. Your body gets used to daily exercise and I don't think it helps to take it off your daily calories.
  • lcarter25
    Options
    Ok so the general consensus is add

I just feel like im cheating because mfp says it burns 118 (walkit.com confirms this 128 so its not too far out) each way so that 236 extra calories i earn and im not convinced i did lol
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, maybe count it then?

I am set to sedentary, however 3 times a week i walk to a meeting which takes approximately 12 mins each way. at first i counted it, but now i dont, as i try to walk more now i have a healthier lifestyle, so i dont track every time i walk.

thats just me though.
  • Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I personally only count the exercise that is additional to my daily routine. Walking the dog, or exercise workouts are counted, but I try not to count it if its my normal work or home routine (unless mowing the lawn, I hate the job and take the calories out of protest...lol) otherwise you can drive yourself crazy with trying to figure out calories burned and won't be motivated to do "extra" to get in shape. Just my opinion....best of luck to you
  • lcarter25
    Options
    Hmmm, maybe count it then?

I am set to sedentary, however 3 times a week i walk to a meeting which takes approximately 12 mins each way. at first i counted it, but now i dont, as i try to walk more now i have a healthier lifestyle, so i dont track every time i walk.

thats just me though.

I don't track anything less than 20 minutes so my walk from home to the station and back is tracked

so confused lol
  • Persipan
    Persipan Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I don't bother to count my walks to and from work/into town/wherever (although I reserve the right to add them on if I'm going to need the calories for something I particularly want to eat!)
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I have my activity level set an sedantry but I log my daily walking (aprox 45 mins)

I have always done the same walk but now I make sure I stick on my trainers and iPod and try to beat my own time each day - basically I treat it as exercise so I log it.

I try to have a 30 minute power walk at lunch time and I log that too.
  • Gemini_at_36
    Options
    You are walking = exercise, yes add.
  • jagoochie
    jagoochie Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I personally only count the exercise that is additional to my daily routine. Walking the dog, or exercise workouts are counted, but I try not to count it if its my normal work or home routine (unless mowing the lawn, I hate the job and take the calories out of protest...lol) otherwise you can drive yourself crazy with trying to figure out calories burned and won't be motivated to do "extra" to get in shape. Just my opinion....best of luck to you

thats pretty much what i do - i wont count popping down to the postoffice, but i will count my walks out of the office at work as i do them to exercise :)
  • ImNotThatBob
    ImNotThatBob Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I'd count it since you said you're self-classified as sedentary. It's either that or update you lifestyle setting to something higher to account for it.
  • lcarter25
    Options

thats pretty much what i do - i wont count popping down to the postoffice, but i will count my walks out of the office at work as i do them to exercise :)

I don't count any walks that are less than 20 minutes
  • lcarter25
    Options
    I suppose since I am down as sedentary which does not mean 1hour walks 5 times a week

maybe i should count lol