FAAB_too Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I use a Dixie cup or a small cone
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    FAAB_too wrote: »

Dixie cup is a great idea. They're pretty small and portion controlled.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    FAAB_too wrote: »

Dixie cup is a great idea. They're pretty small and portion controlled.

Our ice cream cups come in single or double portion sizes, but not larger. They look like custard cups with a stand, something like this. Using custard cups serves the same purpose if you have them, too.
  • shira324
    shira324 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I like your ice cream trick/tip; it's basically a variant on the "use a smaller bowl or plate for your food" idea, which can work if one's previous approach to serving sizes was fill up the plate/bowl, and eat everything on the plate!

My shared trick/tip is to leave a plastic measuring cup in the boxes of the breakfast cereals I eat the most, and use them to scoop out the desired portion size into my bowl. I had not realized that by filling my bowl with cereal, I was basically getting 1.5 to 2 times the portion sizes recommended on the cereal box nutritional information.

You could get a measuring cup out of the cupboard every day and use that, but for whatever reason, I just wasn't doing that, whereas keeping inexpensive measuring cups in my cereal boxes ensures my portion sizes are measurable and consistent.

Agreed! I eat almost all snack food directly out of my measuring cups. I have tons of measuring cups for both dry and liquid ingredients, and usually once I measure something, I'm too lazy to dirty another dish, so I just eat from that cup.
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I spoon it out into a 1/2 c. serving cup.... level it off, then it eat straight from the measuring cup. No guessing required. I sometimes borrow one of my son's baby food spoons, then just eat small bites, lol. truly savor every bite!

Halo top ice cream is fantastic too... esp. salted caramel... holy yum!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lol, so this is REALLY how I eat ice cream. I DON'T eat reduced calorie ice cream.

If a serving is say 108 grams, I weigh the container with the lid off, then I take a spoonful and reweigh. I keep doing this till the container is 108 grams less, then I cap it and put it back in the freezer.
    That's what works for me and keeps me in line. This way I don't have to wash a bowl. :D:D:D:D:D:D

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

That would be great but I am yet to see a serving size as a weight measure. Its all based on volume (ml), this is why people are having problems with it.
    All Ben & Jerry's have it in grams along side of the .5 cup serving. So does Haagen Daz.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Jazznit
    Jazznit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I struggle with Binge eating. There are a few things I don't bring into my house. Ice cream is one of them. Because I would eat it all. And we don't have Halo where I am. But it's not off limits. I will indulge once in a while but on the really goood stuff. If I am gonna have ice cream, it's gonna be bleeping good stuff. Small cup gelato or stone cold.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I could never manage portion control with ice cream. So now I buy ice cream sandwiches instead! I prefer the Julie's brand. They're only 160 calories each and they're quite satisfying. The worst case scenario is that I end up eating two, but that's still only 320 calories.