Kettlebells

Options
What are your favorite kettlebell workout? Do you get good results just using kettlebells, and what results did you get? Did the swings help to get rid of the flabbiness and firm your arms?
How long before you noticed any results?

Replies

• julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    My favorite Kettlebell programs are Kettlebells for Women by Lauren Brooks https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1612430279/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1511235017&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=lauren+brooks+kettlebell+workout&dpPl=1&dpID=51ZnOlsUg-L&ref=plSrch and Be SLAM by Lauren Brooks. Kettlebells for Women is appropriate for beginners.

I have seen results using Kettlebells in conjunction with body weight exercises. Aesthetic results: noticeable definition in my upper back and shoulders. I dropped a pant size. My legs and butt (which are usually stick thin and flat) have taken on some nice muscle and shape.
    Strength results: Swings went from 12k to 20k. Turkish get ups went from 10lb to 12k. Goblet squats went from 12k to 24k. Deadlifts went from 50lb for a set of 10 to 106lb for a set of ten. Clean and press went from 18lb to 35lb. Snatches went from 15lb to 12k. The first time I noticed the aesthetic changes was 6 weeks into my first program. The strength results came either 6 or 7 weeks into the second program I ran.

I credit the clean and press, snatch, push ups and pull ups for giving me some arm muscle.

To get started I would recommend taking a lesson or two with and RKC or Strong First instructor. They will teach you proper form and you will get a good idea of what weights you want to buy. Most women tend to go too light. For an at home start, I would recommend Sarah Lurie's Iron Core Kettlebell. It's relatively inexpensive and her instruction is really good.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005FRWTSO/ref=pd_aw_fbt_14_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Q4PVHA3BZNJA3KVSD01B
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Chi Chi Health & Fitness
  • loveswalking
    loveswalking Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies.....
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Swings are for your core, not your arms. If you’re swinging with your arms you’re doing it incorrectly.

Swings primarily hit your posterior chain if done correctly. Core engagement is certainly part of it, but they are much more than just for your core.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Swings are for your core, not your arms. If you’re swinging with your arms you’re doing it incorrectly.

Swings primarily hit your posterior chain if done correctly. Core engagement is certainly part of it, but they are much more than just for your core.

Yes core and hip flexors but my point is not an arm exercise which was the OPs perception