Turkey burger question...

Options
I'm a busy mom of 4 kids and I like to keep food cooked up and put in the freezer for my mini meals. (I will put my individual portion in a sandwich bag and then place the sandwich bag in freezer bags). Quick and easy to pop in the microwave for my meals. I'll do pasta in red sauce w/tomatoes, sloppy joes, always have 4oz baggies of chicken, beef with mushrooms, peppers, onions.....

Do you think I could cook up some frozen Jenny o turkey burgers on the grill and then refreeze them? I do have Bocas but sometimes I want a turkey burger but don't want to bust out the grill or the foreman for 1 burger. Can I refreeze them you think?

Questions #2.... do you have other meals you keep in freezer? Looking for more ideas! What about scrambled eggs or egg beaters cooked?

Replies

• vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I've heard that once meat has been frozen and then thawed that refreezing changes the taste. I've done this before and never noticed a difference. IMHO if you cook them and then refreeze, you should be fine. Won't hurt you that I know of.
  • ivansmomma
    ivansmomma Posts: 500
    Options
    I think grilling them and putting them in the freezer would be fine. However, there is a huge ground turkey recall right now, so be careful what you buy. I'm not sure about scrambled eggs as I would think they would be very runny, whether 'real' eggs or eggbeaters. They really don't take that much time to cook, so I would just rather cook them up as I want them.
  • Ashleysh22
    Ashleysh22 Posts: 209
    Options
    I tend to agree with ivansmomma. I cook and refreeze meat all the time, never had any problem with it. This chicken taco recipe is one of my favorites to cook and put in the freezer in individual serving ziploc bags. It makes a ton of tacos!

http://www.marthastewart.com/318209/slow-cooker-chili-chicken-tacos#slide_11
  • Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Those burgers frozen thawed and reheated will turn out like hockey pucks. I bought a microwave dish that holds four eggs. I spray the tray with olive oil then wipe it off. Crack eggs drop in it and microwave them. Not a frozen type thing but real quick and easy. I will make chicken that i freeze. The big thing with freezing chicken is how it is prepared. Let it mainate for at least 24 hours. If you have a meat injector after 24 hours inject the meat with the marinade then get a pan hot with a little bit of olive oil and sear it. Then put it back in the marinade and bake it at 350 for about 90 minutes. The sear is going to hold the juice in and when you bake it with the injection and sear will keep it moist. Then i freeze it with some of the marinade in the bag. When i am reaedy through it in the microwave warm it up and it will be moist and juicy.

BTW not sure if i would get to giddy about turkey burgers atm. Especially in the US
  • traceysturn
    Options
    bump
  • FifiMcFu
    Options
    You CAN refreeze them once cooked, but they wont be very nice when you thaw and reheat them. Also, make sure you reheat them thoroughly otherwise you risk food poisoning.
  • saydee3
    saydee3 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You can freeze raw eggs but not cooked eggs.

I freeze everything so here's a good list of what's in my freezer right now.

Beans freeze exceptionally well, so I make all kinds of bean dishes (plain beans, bean soup, red beans to go over rice, etc.) and they come out perfectly - plus they're a quarter of the price of canned beans. Lasagna freezes really well, so I make a double batch and freeze individual portions. Also, make bases for soup. I keep containers of hot and sour soup base and all I have to do is cook noodles and toss them in the heated base. Cabbage rolls freeze well - I make a huge batch and put them in disposable metal dishes in portions for two and freeze. I also make huge numbers of corn and green chile tamales and freeze those. Also consider roasting several chickens at once, debone and shred, then freeze in portions big enough for one or for your family. Then you can toss that in whatever for a quick dinner. Use the bones to make stock and save money that way (stock freezes perfectly). I also freeze the filling for things like green chicken enchiladas, pork chile rellenos, cabbage rolls, if I have some leftover after making dinner and then all I have to do is fill whatever I want (enchiladas are ridiculously quick this way) when I get ready for dinner. Another easy thing is keep frozen tortellini and you can make a super quick, amazingly tasty soup -- cook 2 links of crumbled italian sausage + diced onion (I keep this in the freezer), pour in a box of beef stock, a can of diced tomatoes, a bag of frozen chopped spinach. Once it comes up to a boil, throw in tortellini and cook 3-5 minutes then serve. It takes 10-15 minutes and is so delicious and healthy (depending on the calories of the sausage and tortellini you use).

Good luck!
  • TheGreatYaYa
    TheGreatYaYa Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My Walmart carries packs of fresh turkey burgers already packed in packages of four. They're not frozen, they're in the meat section and I buy those, season them with some creole spices and then cook them on the Foreman grill and then freeze them for use later. I just take them out of the freezer and pop them in the microwave for a few minutes and they're great. I know you can refreeze meat that's been frozen, thawed, and cooked, but I don't know how good turkey burgers would be...just give it a try.

I've tried to make my own turkey burgers with fresh meat and could never get the consistency right...the stuff just wouldn't stick together well.

I do the same as above with low-fat hamburgers, so they're ready in an instant...make great lunches when you're in a hurry.
  • GPSHEALTHCOACHING
    GPSHEALTHCOACHING Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Yea, what do I have to lose. I think I'll cook 2-3, freeze them and see how they turn out. I bought these turkey burgers frozen over a month ago so i am not worried about the recall but thx for looking out for me. ;)

I won't however try the eggs. Sounds like that's a bad idea.

THX for the recipes and the other frozen meal ideas!
  • KeeleySue
    KeeleySue Posts: 158
    Options
    it's perfectly save to freeze, thaw, cook, then re-freeze meat. The consistency might not be the greatest once it's re-heated, but it's safe as long as you heat it to an appropriate temperature.

The big stink about re-freezing meat is if you do it before you cook it. You are NEVER supposed to thaw and re-freeze meat without cooking it first.