Replies

• traceyroy54
    traceyroy54 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    B)
  • pattideamiller
    pattideamiller Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have read that it does. I am doing it about 3 times a week. Not sure how to record it in exercise though. MFP doesn't have HIIT as an option. I am losing steadily though.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Calorie deficits contribute to weight loss. That being said HIIT will increase your TDEE and with a calorie deficit will promote weight loss.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    1. Not particularly
    2. You're probably not doing HIIT

The best thing for weight loss is accurately logging your calories and setting a deficit.

For exercise/training, your best bang for the buck(calories to time) is to do moderate intensity cardio for 30-45 minutes 3-5 days weekly.

It's also beneficial to do some sort of strength training(total body) 2-4 days a week.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If it's a real HIIT workout it will be of very short duration and not more than 2 or 3 times weekly. Typically HIIT workouts don't burn an awful lot of calories but do build fitness.

Weight loss comes from eating at a caloric deficit, you can lose weight without exercising but getting fitter is a worthwhile goal on its own. In terms of bang for your buck I'd agree with Stan's suggestion.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    It does in the same sense that parking your car farther away and walking does.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    It does in the same sense that parking your car farther away and walking does.

And you can do this every day :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    HIIT is a protocol for fitness improvements not weight loss.

Very short duration, small calorie burns and of course you are supposed to eat back those few (and hard to estimate) calories anyway.

It's exercise and better than sitting on the sofa but probably the wrong choice for the vast majority of people.
    Luckily most people who say they are doing HIIT actually are just doing circuit training or plain old cardio intervals.
  • traceyroy54
    traceyroy54 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I do walk sprints.
    Works for me