Custom Excercises

Options
Good morning

I would like to create a new exercise based on how many kilometers. On the moment there is only per minutes. I want to create an custom steps exercise, and fill in the distance which I walked. The per minute you also can not fill in decimals. Only full numbers.

For the type of exercise you can only choose cadio, which measurement is minutes and strength training which measurements is sets and repetitions.

Is there a way to do that?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,052 Member
    Options
    I've created an Excel spreadsheet with formulas that do the conversions for me.

So when I walk or cycle, I enter the distance into Excel, and my formula calculates the time.
    Or I enter the time from Strava.

And as for the detailed accuracy of the time, I round down to the nearest 5 minutes lower than the actual time.

Yesterday, for example, I walked for 88 minutes. I entered 85 minutes.

As for a steps to kilometres conversion, you can check that with sites like this:
    https://www.convertunits.com/from/steps/to/kilometers

What exactly would you like to track?
  • nelja
    nelja Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Hi, I know the distance of my steps/walking. I have worked out for every 1km, the calories is about 39. So I want to enter the distance ,e.g. 4,6km and then the calories must be 179.On the moment I can just enter 4, and I do not want to make it 5,because that is too much
  • Machka9
    edited November 2017
    Options
    nelja wrote: »
    Hi, I know the distance of my steps/walking. I have worked out for every 1km, the calories is about 39. So I want to enter the distance ,e.g. 4,6km and then the calories must be 179.On the moment I can just enter 4, and I do not want to make it 5,because that is too much

Do you know how fast you are walking?

For walking, I use:

"Walking, 12.5 mins per km, mod. pace" ... and then just enter my minutes.

Unless I'm really motoring, in which case I would use the one that says "10.5 mins per km".

And as I mentioned, I round down to the nearest 5 min.

It's all approximate anyway. Calories burned is not an exact thing.
  • nelja
    Options
    No, just the distance and the amount of steps. The calories are way to much, because it also take into account your heart rate.
    yz3cxiiqrkzy.png
  • Machka9
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Oh ... so you're not talking about entering exercise in My Fitness Pal?

I don't know what app that is, but yes, the calorie count on that app is way off.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    No, that looks about right.

The app is Garmin connect and that's estimated TDEE.

Without knowing the persons Body weight, It's hard to be certain. The distance seems low though. Normally I get about 8 km for 10K steps.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Really? I think she and I are roughly the same size, give or take a little bit.

My maintenance weight is 1500 cal, and when I walk 7 km, I might burn 300 calories, at most, for a total of 1800 cal.

Even running 7 km, I'd probably only burn 600 cal = 2100 cal.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

My maintenance weight is 1500 cal, and when I walk 7 km, I might burn 300 calories, at most, for a total of 1800 cal.

No, just the distance and the amount of steps. The calories are way to much, because it also take into account your heart rate.

This is the most likely answer... Which is that unfortunately Garmin and Fitbit are overestimating calories from daily steps based on the optical sensor.

The solution is to use a step/activity tracker that doesn't track HR.
  • nelja
    Options
    I am only 1.53 tall and weigh 55kg.I have checked when I walk about 1500 steps it is 1 kilometer. My legs are short.
    I use the hr to double check for my cycling, so I do not want to turn it off.
    I use the steps to capture in MFP to calculate my total calories. When it is done automatically ,I am always below my calories, which is not correct. My estimate of 39 calories per kilometer sound about correct then, if I check what @machka9 is getting for 7km walk. Mine is a bit less, but that is fine by me.

Without knowing the persons Body weight, It's hard to be certain. The distance seems low though. Normally I get about 8 km for 10K steps.

• Machka9
    Options
    I am only 1.53 tall and weigh 55kg.I have checked when I walk about 1500 steps it is 1 kilometer. My legs are short.
    I use the hr to double check for my cycling, so I do not want to turn it off.
    I use the steps to capture in MFP to calculate my total calories. When it is done automatically ,I am always below my calories, which is not correct. My estimate of 39 calories per kilometer sound about correct then, if I check what @machka9 is getting for 7km walk. Mine is a bit less, but that is fine by me.

You're a bit smaller than me. :) I wasn't sure.

I get about 200 calories per hour when I walk 5 km/hour. So 7.5 km would be about 300 calories. All approximate.

As I said, I use the 12.5 min/km choice in MFP to log my walking.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

I looked at the picture in the Garmin app, which looked to be a male about my size or a bit taller. I didn't even notice the OPs picture.
  • nelja
    edited November 2017
    Options
    That is my husband. I am the small one!!
    I looked at the picture in the Garmin app, which looked to be a male about my size or a bit taller. I didn't even notice the OPs picture.