Who brings a golf club to the gym?

Options
At the gym and in walks a man (who scares me a little) with a golf club. It's still dark outside and I'm the only one there. (It's a 24/7 key entry gym). I know I'm probably a little nervous for no reason but honestly I've never seen someone walk into the gym with a golf club before. He works out with the weights and then practices his "swing" taking up the entire walk path to the fountain and bathrooms. Anyone help me with understanding why this can't be done at home and it needs to be done at the gym? I'm assuming it has something to do with stretching but really can't you do something else at the gym and leave the club at home? Just my opinion...

Replies

• crobinson53
    Options
    I've never heard of bringing your golf club to the gym. Normally I bring a big stick so I can keep the ladies away from me. Like bees to honey....
  • plummersmate
    Options
    If he worries you, you could always ask the management to speak to him. I'd be worried on my own. Are there security cameras about? They could say he'd been spotted on camera carrying and using a golf club in the gym. This is a health and safety issue and the gym have a duty of care. Is the gym un-manned? And if so, Is this legal?
  • RoToQ
    RoToQ Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Although it is odd behaviour, I certainly wouldn't be worried (Unless his behaviour is aggressive). He's just performing his exercise routine (rightly or wrongly).
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    It would seem strange to me too, but I wouldn't make a big deal out of it if you see him practicing his swing and not bothering anybody. Maybe speak to management and just say "I saw a guy bring in a golf club last night. It struck me as being a little odd, so I just wanted to make you aware of it" or something.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    The gym has a manager on duty from apx 10-6 or 12-8 it varies on the day. I go at 5am so I don't see any staff members. Usually 3-4 people come through while I'm there but it's the same people. I know 2 of them. This is the 2nd time in 2 weeks I've seen this guy he just gives me the creeps. I'm sure it's just a gut reaction and he's probably really nice. Just not a good first impression. As long as he keeps to himself I'm fine but really you see me walking through and you don't stop swinging the club that bothered me. The gym has cameras every where. They also have ER call buttons you can wear around your neck. It's a nice set up (probably the nicer in town but we're in a small town so it's not a huge place). I just thought it was the strangest thing I've ever seen. I know I wouldn't want to walk out of the gym with him at dark just b/c as a female next to man with a golf club wouldn't make me feel safe. (Just my opinion)
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I can see how this could be a bit scary, but what gets me is that he's practicing his swing in a main walkway. When people at my gym bring equipment like that, they'll go to an empty training room or elsewhere to use it.

I guess he figures that since it's the middle of the night and not crowded, he can get away with it.

Just do your thing, stay aware of your surroundings and keep one of those 'call" buttons on you.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    My gym is 24 hours and they have little keys hanging on a hook that is an emergency panic button. If there's less than three people in there (not including myself) I'd grab one.

It's not as much a safety issue, but consideration. I would say something, purely for the fact he is taking up the room. Is there not a stretching area he can swing?
  • cleigh86
    cleigh86 Posts: 25
    Options
    He probably likes to bring the golf club to the gym and practice his swing there because he can look at himself in the big mirrors (I've had a few pros tell me that it can really help to see yourself mid-swing so you can correct things). However, I do agree that he probably shouldn't be doing it in the middle of a walkway! But honestly, even though it's a little weird, he probably just doesn't have the space or mirrors at home to do what he wants.