What is this guy's goal?

Options
lorrpb
lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
What is this guy in the weight room trying to accomplish?
He comes in, loads up a barbell, lifts it straight over his head with both arms while a staff member times him. He grunts and yells as long as he can hold it. Then after putting it down, he unloads the bar, all the while yelling, and leaves the weight room. End of workout. This happens on a regular basis.
???

Replies

• lorrpb
    Options
    Because...
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    huh. can't help you with the yelling part . . . he wants to be the next pavarotti?

on the hold, static holds are great. i love them, though i'm not sure i see the point of holding a weight you can already lock out. i like to load up more than i can squat or press, and just front-rack it and walk out with it. hold for 10-15 seconds and then put it back.

on the one-and-done part, maybe this is because static holds are deceptive. they're way more taxing than they appear. but again, if it's a weight he can already get overhead . . .

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    you could ask him. when i see someone doing something that i don't know what it is, i get nosy and ask.
  • lorrpb
    Options
    I might do that, or ask the staff. Mostly just curious, guess I'm not missing anything, lol.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    it all confuses me. A staff member times him? maybe he got some kind of bet going on. You should get some video and post it. We could use the humor.

There is a guy at my gym that goes around and never puts a great amount of weight on any machine. then proceeds to use the machine as if he were trying to fly away or something. he goes from place to place and does the same thing all the while making these weird noises. Oh did I also mention he does not BANG the weights but CLANKS then on every rep. So annoying and not gaining a thing
  • jaci66
    jaci66 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    He's training? It's an ongoing bet with someone? He likes to show off?
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Maybe rehab for some kind of injury/surgery?
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    He's on a day release and his "trainer" is actually his guard
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Maybe he's going to be auditioning for the Unbroken remake?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    So this but with a lot of yelling?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXYtRqcnLIo
  • lorrpb
    edited November 2017
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Yes that but with a lot of grunting and yelling, and not to "finish off a workout". No need to explain the noises, I'm sure that just a macho thing lol!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »

Yes that but with a lot of grunting and yelling, and not to "finish off a workout".

heh. i do that sometimes at the end of a set. not that i'm trying to prove anything, i just find it all nice and peaceful up there when my arms are locked out.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I think his goal is to hold it for as long as possible, while making the most noise possible. The employee is there to time him and to provide feed back on how loud he was compared to last time.

Obviously.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I would guess he is trying to increase the amount of time he can hold a heavy weight.

/thread
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    A static hold.

There are a few ways that it can incorporate with specificity to one's training.

Many powerlifters will use it on bench, squat, deads, or OHP to help with lock out conditioning, as well as add stress to the stabilizer muscles, grip strength, as well as it sure makes a heavy working weight feel lighter after a static hold of greater weight.