From keto to low carb

Options
foofofoofo
foofofoofo Posts: 38 Member
edited November 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi
I’ve changed my diet from (keto ) to (low carb diet) since last Saturday.
I was on keto for 2 months & I’ve lost 6 kg from my weight. In the last three weeks I started doing internment fasting between meals .
I’m afraid that I will gain weight. My macros levels were 100gm 54 gm of carbs 100 gm of protein.

With the low carb diet my macros are
100 gm of fat ( from nuts &food) 100 gm of carbs (from non starchy veggies) 100 gm of protein per day .
I’ve cut the oils & creams ... etc
What do you think ?

My calories are between 1900 to 2100 calorie per day .

I need to lose these extra kilos . I’ve come a long way in the bast couple of years my weight was 113 kg !!
My current measurements are (height i155 cm , 65 kg & I’m 27 years old.

Replies

• Beaudom91
    Beaudom91 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    First of all congratulations on your weight loss! Good hussle. Secondly, macros don't really matter for weightloss. The ONLY thing that matters is having a calorie deficit and then your macro ratios come down to what suits your individual tastes/ what makes you feel satisfied enough to comfortably be in a deficit. You will gain weight matter how your macros are arranged if you are consuming more maintenance calories.

How is your food journal looking calorie wise? Are you weighing and measuring everything?
  • Beaudom91
    Beaudom91 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Just saw the 1900-2100 calories a day, are you working out regularly?
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    You will only gain weight if you are consuming a surplus of calories. If you are going with your current macro breakdown that's only 1700 calories. Where are you getting 1900-2100 cal/day?
  • foofofoofo
    Options
    Beaudom91 wrote: »
    Just saw the 1900-2100 calories a day, are you working out regularly?

Yes , I left weights while I’m fasting for an hour to hour and half of I’m doing cardio ( cycling- crunches...etc)
  • foofofoofo
    Options
    Beaudom91 wrote: »
    First of all congratulations on your weight loss! Good hussle. Secondly, macros don't really matter for weightloss. The ONLY thing that matters is having a calorie deficit and then your macro ratios come down to what suits your individual tastes/ what makes you feel satisfied enough to comfortably be in a deficit. You will gain weight matter how your macros are arranged if you are consuming more maintenance calories.

How is your food journal looking calorie wise? Are you weighing and measuring everything?

Lol , yes I do when I was on keto . I’ve recently subscribed to a local healthy meals center . The meals already prepared and the calories + fats are written on them
  • foofofoofo
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    You will only gain weight if you are consuming a surplus of calories. If you are going with your current macro breakdown that's only 1700 calories. Where are you getting 1900-2100 cal/day?

Sometimes I just feel stuffed that I can’t take any food anymore . That’s the ratio of my daily calorie intake.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    You have not mentioned calories which is what is important in losing weight. It looks like you are very low for a man. Your previous macro levels were only 1516 if my math is correct. Your new ones bring you up to 1700 which is still a fairly low number for most men. What does MFP give you and why aren't you following it? Changing from keto to low carb is fine and should not in itself affect your weight loss. I think you need to start thinking in terms of calories and not grams of macros. Set your percentages of macros to whatever works for you. Personally I think 100 grams of fat a day is too high. I think I would raise protein some more instead. You won't gain weight unless you eat more calories than you expend.
  • foofofoofo
    edited November 2017
    Options
    dwilliamca wrote: »
    You have not mentioned calories which is what is important in losing weight. It looks like you are very low for a man. Your previous macro levels were only 1516 if my math is correct. Your new ones bring you up to 1700 which is still a fairly low number for most men. What does MFP give you and why aren't you following it? Changing from keto to low carb is fine and should not in itself affect your weight loss. I think you need to start thinking in terms of calories and not grams of macros. Set your percentages of macros to whatever works for you. Personally I think 100 grams of fat a day is too high. I think I would raise protein some more instead. You won't gain weight unless you eat more calories than you expend.

I will try to reduce my fat intake. But why am I NOT losing weight as fast as I want it to be if my calories are low ?

I’m not that active after my workout because I have long term hip injury. I can’t walk more than one kilo nor run at all .
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    foofofoofo wrote: »
    dwilliamca wrote: »

I will try to reduce my fat intake. But why am I NOT losing weight as fast as I want it to be if my calories are low ?

I’m not that active after my workout because I have long term hip injury. I can’t walk more than one kilo nor run at all .

You have less weight to lose now, much less than you did when you started so the rate of weight loss slows down. However, if you aren't losing at all then you're eating more calories than you think. I think from what you've said that you're on the right track and will need try to be patient while losing the final pounds / kilos.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,718 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Your biggest health gains have already taken place.

Push forward and set new goals by all means.

But setting up yourself for avoidance of regain is where you will win or lose.

Start focusing on maintenance.

Focus on a small deficit that you can sustain for a long time and that will maybe give you enough time to figure out how and how much and how to eat.

Pushing for big losses right now is not in my opinion a sound strategy.

ETA: switching from Keto to anything that involves even some partial glycogen replenishment has the potential to result in the appearance of a disproportionate weight gain. This is because you're probably glycogen depleted. If any of the carbs you take in end up getting stored in your body that will do so first in the form of glycogen where each gram of carb will be bound to 2-3 grams of water. This is not fat gain but it is a water weight scale increase. You borrowed some extra scale losses when you're first went into keto and when you reverse out of it that water weight comes back.
  • foofofoofo
    edited November 2017
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

ETA: .... You borrowed some extra scale losses when you're first went into keto and when you reverse out of it that water weight comes back.
    That means I’m going to gain it back ?
    Should I push harder in my training because I changed my diet? More than 90 min ?
    When I was on keto someday I do 45 min of weight training I still lose weight.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options

ETA: .... You borrowed some extra scale losses when you're first went into keto and when you reverse out of it that water weight comes back.
    That means I’m going to gain it back ?
    Should I push harder in my training because I changed my diet? More than 90 min ?
    When I was on keto someday I do 45 min of weight training I still lose weight.

You are not going to gain all of your weight back. PAV8888 is simply stating that while on keto your carb intake was minimal to non-existent. If any increased carbs are stored, they will be stored as glycogen, and this will slightly increase your water weight - not fat. Don't get alarmed by this, and don't "push harder" in the gym. As someone stated, your caloric intake isn't optimal. Under-eating isn't a long term plan.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,718 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I was discussing two separate things.

One was the need for you to start dealing with your longer-term eating plans. To move beyond the hardcore dieting plan that you have apparently kept to, to date, and which you're finding increasingly difficult to adhere to now that you don't have an excess amount of fat to lose.

The second part was reminding you that as you start incorporating carbs into your diet that a small part of your weight loss to date is water weight from the initial depletion of your glycogen stores.

When the stores are replenished there will be an observable weight increase that will be part of your new base line going forward. But it is not a fat increase. Think of it as your lean mass increasing if it makes you feel better!!!

I mentioned it to you because I got the impression that you might not be aware of this. And therefore might react badly to a scale weight increase that is perfectly natural and expected and does not correspond to a fat level increase.

• foofofoofo
    edited November 2017
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »

... will be stored as glycogen, and this will slightly increase your water weight - not fat. Don't get alarmed by this, and don't "push harder" in the gym. As someone stated, your caloric intake isn't optimal. Under-eating isn't a long term plan.

I’m not under eating I’m just doing intermittent fasting 16/8 . 2 meals each one 800 to 1000 calorie
    It worked with me but not as hard as I thought it would be.
  • Lisa8823168
    Lisa8823168 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Yes, I moved off Keto successfully, with only water weight gain. I didn't stop Keto until I reached my goal, so cannot speak to loosing weight after exiting the plan.

Assuming you had successfully calculated your macros, putting your body into ketosis, you could move to an increase in carbs successfully in this manner:

1.Add carbohydrates to the diet slowly. ... maybe start at 100g and work your way up. Add 25-30 grams per week until you are back to your 'normal' intake.
    2.Stick to low-glycemic carbs. ... No sugars, or you'll be getting insulin spikes that will just put you to sleep.
    3.Time your carbs to further discourage them from being stored as body fat. ...
    4.Drop your dietary fats to keep calories stabilized. ...

I would stabilize first, get your body readjusted to burning carbs instead of fats, then establish where you want to be for continue weight loss via calorie deficit only plan. Much like you had to do when entering ketosis...just in reverse.

Also, there are a few good web sites that can offer information. This is just one: https://www.bodybuilding.com/category/diet-plans