Still Trying over 65

Options
Anyone here that is a Sr. Citizen having any success with fitness Pal?

Replies

• cdsommer46
    cdsommer46 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm 71 & started Fitness Pal calorie counter in August. I was using a different one but decided to switch since I was using Map My Walk & Map My Ride. I've been on a 1250 calorie diet for 5 years & have lost only a total of 45 lbs in that time. But every time I bump up my calories, I start gaining! So 3 months ago, I started doing the Sit & Be Fit exercise program on PBS to try & get a little stronger so I can go skiing with my daughter. Haven't skied in 25 years! I have only lost 2 lbs in 3 months... pretty depressing. But I just keep telling myself I'm at least getting stronger. Don't know what else I can do.
  • NancyLouD
    NancyLouD Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank You for your reply. Sounds like you are doing all you can do. I know this is going to be slow going but wow 45 pounds it’s way better than gaining 5 pounds each year. Well I will never see skis or skates again at this point I’m just happy being able to do water aerobics for 45 minutes.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I am 70 and have lost 47lbs, I've been on here for over four years and I contour to try to lose a bit more weight, it all helps to keep you well and healthy. Good luck
  • NancyLouD
    Options
    Well I just figured out how to get back here to my post...I am new. Laughing about the bikini we live in Florida and go to the gulf weekly in the summer but no bikini even if I loose it all, there is going to be left over skin I am sure. I have not paid much attention to the potassium part will take notice just sodium.

Thank you dej I have to do this now for health issues.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    NancyLouD wrote: »
    Well I just figured out how to get back here to my post...I am new. Laughing about the bikini we live in Florida and go to the gulf weekly in the summer but no bikini even if I loose it all, there is going to be left over skin I am sure. I have not paid much attention to the potassium part will take notice just sodium.

Thank you dej I have to do this now for health issues.

Feel free to send a friend request if you would like to. Good luck
  • NancyLouD
    Options
    Would love to but can’t figure out how
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm 63 and have been on MFP for 2 months and have lost 15 lbs. Two years ago I lost 30 lbs. on a similar site and put it back slowly after I quit logging and exercising. The hardest thing for me was realizing that with my age and sometimes sedentary activity level I will never be able to eat more than about 1500 calories even in maintenance (I'm on 1200-1300 now). I have been trying to add exercise a few days a week, but stick to low impact stuff like yoga or Jane Fonda walking aerobics (she's slowed down also over the years). 2 days a week I watch my toddler grandchildren and that gets me moving too. I'll send a friend request. I have several friends in our age range that have been great support to me.
  • NancyLouD
    Options
    The request popped up but can’t find to accept
  • hilda_92117
    hilda_92117 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am over 65 (way over) and using MFP(sort of.) It was recommended to me by a lady on a low carb Facebook group. I am flopping about a bit. Just started and haven’t figured it out yet. I picked it because I wanted to enter a recipe and have it do all the nutrient look up for the recipe at one time. I think I have that with the exception of the much lamented net carbs.
    I have dabbled with low carb for years just sort of flying by the seat of my plus size pants. One of the first things I have learned is that my “educated” guess as to what I was eating was way off. I was forced into intermittent fasting since I was managing to finish my allotted macros by lunch. I have adjusted my meals and am budgeting my carbs and calories better.
    Not into exercising outside of daily chores and housework. The first three things on my To-do list are are get up, get dressed and fix breakfast. When I check them off I feel a real sense of accomplishment and sit down and rest. When I lose more weight, I hope to get around better.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,721 Member
    Options
    I am 63. Been using this site since March. Lost 40+ pounds so far.

To add friends - Click on the user's name in the left sidebar. That will open a window with the user's photo. Click on the name again. Another window will open. You will see a button that says "Add as Friend". Click on that button and your request will be sent. You can also send a message with the request.

Please add me as a friend if you would like.

I'm reasonably proficient on the computer stuff. I can help there as well.
  • nolanmouton
    nolanmouton Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    NancyLouD wrote: »
    Anyone here that is a Sr. Citizen having any success with fitness Pal?

I need help using MFP correctly.
  • alteredsteve175
    Options
    Here is a link to the support center. Lots of FAQ's and you can post a question if you can't find the answer.

myfitnesspal.desk.com/
  • alteredsteve175
    Options
    Post questions here if you like. I will help if I can.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,005 Member
    Options
    :) I found MFP in February 2009 at age 62. I have been logging food and exercise regularly since then I post regularly on a thread called "Women ages 50+" for support, encouragement, and friendship. I lost over 50 pounds the first year and have kept the weight off since then. I place health and fitness at the top of my list of life values and it has made all the difference.
  • Rick_1953
    Rick_1953 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    64 here. I have been on mfp for almost 2 years now. I am healthier and fitter than I have been in a long time
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,448 Member
    Options
    63 here. I lost 40 in about 6mo then another 7 that took me longer but only because I didn't reduce my calories as I lost. I eat well. I've always been active. We have 6 dogs & I take them out every morning for an hour+, I volunteer at a no kill shelter & go to the gym & do home work outs. I'm antsy, don't like holding still lol I want to lose up to 10mor lbs. Will have to reevaluate after 5 more