So I'm doing my first healthy food grocery shopping trip...I

Options
I'm so lost on what to buy when I grocery shop lol. That sounds pretty pathetic!

I have 5 people to shop for(myself,my husband and our 3 kids)...and I don't even know what to get. Can anyone make some suggestions to get me started?

Thanks!

Replies

• YVL93
    YVL93 Posts: 121
    Options
    yogurt. healthy snack like crackers make sure it doesnt have perservatives. places like trader joe and whole food sell snacks that are organic and no preservative which i think is near. lots of fruits and veggie. peanut butter peanuts only!!. whole grain/ wheat bread. healthy cereal low fat cheese and make sure you get enough protein in ur diet
  • jemmur
    jemmur Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Do it the other way around - decide what you're going to eat/cook for yourself and your family over the next few days/week (look for some nice recipes first, if need be), then make a list of the foods/ingredients you don't already have!
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I plan all my meals ahead before going shopping, it's so much easier and I found it saves a bit of money because you're only buying what you need. :)
  • ratkaj
    ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I use the rule of thumb of only 10% or less of your groceries should come from the middle of the store (pre packaged foods, frozen foods, etc.) By shopping mostly in the produce, meat and dairy department you are not only cutting calories but also salt, fats, and preservatives. It works wonders!!!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I plan all my meals ahead before going shopping, it's so much easier and I found it saves a bit of money because you're only buying what you need. :)

This! LOL I plan my menu for the week and make sure I add a couple of easy meals just because you know you'll have at least one evening where nothing goes right. ;)
  • allip722
    allip722 Posts: 17
    Options
    Lots and lots of fruit is always best (: blackberries are the best things in the world!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I agree with pps suggestions about making your menu plan first, and then your list.

dried beans are awesome for nutrients and are CHEAP
  • jeffsgal105
    jeffsgal105 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Great advice! I know it's hard not to buy certain things when you have kids at home. I didn't realize how much junk I ate until I quit buying it. I hope your grocery trip is a success!
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I use the rule of thumb of only 10% or less of your groceries should come from the middle of the store (pre packaged foods, frozen foods, etc.) By shopping mostly in the produce, meat and dairy department you are not only cutting calories but also salt, fats, and preservatives. It works wonders!!!

This is SOOOO true.
    I buy raw veggies that we all eat (me, my husband, the kids) so that i always have a quick veggie to throw on their plates at every meal. Red, yellow & orange peppers are so good raw, and we also like cucumbers and snap peas raw. Carrots, too. The baby ones are already peeled, but my kids even like the whole carrots 'cause they think it's cool to walk around with a big ol' Bugs Bunny thing stickin' out of their mouths!

I buy these staples every single week and keep them chopped up in the fridge so it's easy every night. We eat a lot of apples as a side, too.

Now my kids both complain if I actually cook veggies. :) It works for us.