Gait analysis

Options
For the runners out there, is it worth getting a gait analysis done?

I did damage to my knees at the start of the year running outdoors, pulled ligaments in both knees and my right knee still gets stiff/sore every so often as my kneecap floats as a result of that damage.

I started a new circuit in the gym which involved running on the treadmill. All going fine but I started to get shin splints the other day and then the following day my ankle area was swollen. Someone in work with me who runs and a lady in the gym recommended I get a gait analysis done and get proper running shoes. I wear good Asics runners at the minute.

Is it worth getting done? I really really don't want to damage my knees again and the swollen ankle thing has me worried also. THis would have never happened me in my 20's :-(

Replies

• ratkaj
    ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    no! It's quite expensive.

I do suggest having your stride analyzed. This will tell you if you pronate, supinate, or if you are a neutral runner (which will directly effect your knees) . Most high end running stores do this for free when you are looking for shoes. I've just done it a few times to see if my Supination has improved. ALSO please wear good running shoes. I see many runners who are wearing nikes because they look good.... but them complain their feet/knees/back/etc hurt. Shoes are functional in this situation not fashion (says the girl who couldn't survive without her collection of heels). :ohwell: Ohhh my, I've grown up....
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    There is a good running shop in Dublin who does the analysis for free apparently. I checked out their website a while ago. I don't want to go to a sports shop as the staff there wouldn't have a clue.

I might pop along to my physio also as she said to go back to her if I was thinking of running again. Thanks for the advise!
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    Just chatting to some of my work colleagues about it and apparently there is a cycle/run shop not far from where I work that does it for free. Rang them and I can pop in anytime to get it done. So I will defo do that next week.

Going to see my physio next week if I can also.