ugh....discouraging

Options
I've been exercising like mad (running about 4 miles a day, 4 days a week), eating way healthier and cutting calories for about three weeks now.......and I haven't lost one blessed pound. What gives? So discouraging. I know I have to keep at it, but I thought for sure I'd see something change on the scale by now. What's a girl to do?

Also, how reliable is the treadmill as far as the "calories burned" is concerned?

Replies

• aliciask
    Options
    I've been exercising like mad (running about 4 miles a day, 4 days a week), eating way healthier and cutting calories for about three weeks now.......and I haven't lost one blessed pound. What gives? So discouraging. I know I have to keep at it, but I thought for sure I'd see something change on the scale by now. What's a girl to do?

Also, how reliable is the treadmill as far as the "calories burned" is concerned?
  • mystery7707
    mystery7707 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Don't give up it sounds like you're doing great! Treadmills can be really inaccurate, try getting a heart rate monitor instead with a calorie function for specific results. Also, you should be measuring yourself because you might be getting smaller without losing weight if you are putting on muscle, so I would suggest measuring and watching how your clothes fit.

Be sure as well that you aren't eating too few calories, that can slow weight loss as well.

Hope this helps.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    A lot of things could affect that...
    How long have you been running like that? How conditioned are you?
    How many calories are you cutting?
    Are you eating the right ratio of nutrients for your activities?
    Are you lifting weights?
    Are you retaining water? Drinking enough? About to menstruate?

There's more questions than answers in a situation like this...but most of the time I just ignore the scale, it doesn't measure body composition, which is FAR more important than scale weight.
  • aliciask
    Options
    I ordered a heart rate monitor the other day.....just waiting for delivery. I'm curious to see the discrepencies...if any. Thanks! :smile:
  • nicole0177
    Options
    Dont let that discourage you because then you wont see any progress. If you keep going you will see results and dont rely on the scale because sometimes it water weight or you could have gained muscle. and we all know muscle weighs more than fat.

Plus it took awhile to put that weight on its gonna take some time to take it off!!!

Dont get discourage and keep up what your doing!!!!:wink:
  • choclytejenn
    Options
    I agree with you. When you work out a lot of the times your fat turns into muscle which is a good thing but the weight stays the same but no fat. You should be able to feel the difference in your clothes not on the scale.
    Also if you are taking anything dealing with birth control - you are automatically are blotted.
  • brinmeliss
    Options
    Hey Bud!

Me too, although I haven't been running four miles a day, I've been walking four miles a day and I joined the gym three weeks ago with a personal trainer. I see her twice a week and gym exercise everyday. I have to walk my dogs, that's a given, but the gym, I'm doing stuff I have never done before. I don't get it either. I have only had two slip ups, one where I ate four Girl Scout cookies, and one night I caved and had some french fries. I am losing my mind, not my body. If you can figure out what is going on let me know too.:sad: