Drinking Night Out Help

Options
merveozyalin
merveozyalin Posts: 46 Member
edited November 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello everyone I got a plan with my friends tonight. I wanna drink 2-3 bottles of beer . I got 730 calories left to intake. Should I eat 730 calories of food or just 300 so I can add beer calories as well. Btw it's my day 4 of clean eating. I feel like ı cheat so early. What do you say?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to count calories, count them all. So if you drink the beer, count the calories, which would use up part of your 730 available. (Is that what you were asking--whether the beer calories count or not?)
  • merveozyalin
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    If you're trying to count calories, count them all. So if you drink the beer, count the calories, which would use up part of your 730 available. (Is that what you were asking--whether the beer calories count or not?)

Yes that's what I was asking. I was thinking if I starve with 300 calories of food.
  • glenneyre1
    glenneyre1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The whole point is staying under calories. I drink, but I do one of 2 things if I am going to. Eat less food or get an extra workout in to allow me more calories to do both.

Side note: I am a big beer fan, especially the craft beers. However, since I have been tracking it becomes apparent that it is really hard to lose weight and be a beer drinker. I still have one or two occasionally, but have switched over to vodka / something 0 calorie mixer for the most part.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When I was losing weight, I decided that I wouldn't go over my calorie goal due to drinking. This means that I either ate less on days when I wanted to drink or skipped drinking if I didn't have the calories.

For me, that meant more consistent progress towards my goals (because I was hitting my calorie target more often).

Something to consider: Is this going to be a regular thing? Regularly skipping food to make room for drinks can make it harder to meet your nutritional goals, especially when your calorie goals are lower.

Something else to consider: Will going into a drinking night hungry make it harder for you to stay on plan? Some people find that when they skip food to drink, they have the drinks and then it's very challenging for them not to eat more food (especially if they are someplace where tempting food is being served). I don't personally have a problem with this, but many people find that it's a struggle for them. It would be better to eat 700ish calories and then add beers to that than to eat 300, have 2-3 beers, and then eat 800-1,000 calories of bar food.

• dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Go for a quick walk so you can have that addition of calories! Drink a lite version but either way....overall....COUNT IT!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone I got a plan with my friends tonight. I wanna drink 2-3 bottles of beer . I got 730 calories left to intake. Should I eat 730 calories of food or just 300 so I can add beer calories as well. Btw it's my day 4 of clean eating. I feel like ı cheat so early. What do you say?

why do you only have 730 calories left?

if you want to drink choose light beer maybe or vodka and club soda...vodka is like 40 calories a shot.

As for Clean eating? what do you mean day 4 of it and you are cheating???

I lost over 50lbs and drank when I wanted...I just chose lower calorie options for the drinking, ensured I exercised and banked a few calories extra for that food and logged it and didn't worry too much about it.

Life has to continue per normal even tho you are losing weight...what happens when you are done losing are you still not gonna drink beer???
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Beer drinkers typically never thin! Just plan for it and understand its a special occasion and not an everday thing and ENJOY!
  • janejellyroll
    edited November 2017
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    Beer drinkers typically never thin! Just plan for it and understand its a special occasion and not an everday thing and ENJOY!

There are plenty of thin beer drinkers (including myself). They just don't (overall) consume more calories than their body is using.

There's no special magic to beer that cancels out how weight loss/maintaining functions.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

There are plenty of thin beer drinkers (including myself). They just don't (overall) consume more calories than their body is using.

There's no special magic to beer that cancels out how weight loss/maintaining functions.

Yeah, I mean, I'm not thin (yet!), but I've been losing weight for almost a year now drinking beer every week. It's just calories like everything else.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

Yes that's what I was asking. I was thinking if I starve with 300 calories of food.

Forget even that -- I'd hit the floor with that much beer and that little food.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

Nonsense.

I don't see myself as thin, but society does (BMI in the ballpark of 20-21, wear between a 4 and an 8, body fat at 24%), and I enjoy good beer. Was just at a craft event last night -- got out drank by a woman weighing <100 pounds.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Forget even that -- I'd hit the floor with that much beer and that little food.

That's something else to consider, OP. When you eat much less than normal to make room for alcohol, it can lead to less than fun results (or results you can't even remember).
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Vodka soda with lime will save you a couple hundred beer calories. Also, eat before you start drinking. Once alcohol hits your system, your body immediately wants to rid itself of it.
  • bronaghCPM
    bronaghCPM Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If you're sticking to your calorie deficit it doesn't technically matter whether the calories are coming from food or beer. But it will make a difference to how hungry you are/drunk you get.

I drink within my allotted calories occasionally and usually end up regretting it. If I can plan ahead then it's much better to do a work out or even go for a long brisk walk so you have some extra calories to play around with.

Also sadly beer is quite a high calorie alcohol option, I drink straight whiskey which is between 60-80 cals.
  • back2beingfrnds
    back2beingfrnds Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Last St. Patrick's day I thought it would be a fantastic idea to eat very low calorie during the day so I had plenty of room for some Jameson and ginger ale. Needless to say, I ended up not enjoying the full night out. I learned my lesson the hard way. Eat your calories and log your drinks. It's a night out with friends, enjoy and be safe.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Beer would not be my drink of choice because of the high calories...some of the good ones are several hundred calories apiece. I like wine, but even that adds up quickly. You'd be better off to ask for a one ounce drink with diet soda of some kind. I've been making real Margarita's with an ounce of tequila, fresh lime juice, and fill it up with watermelon lime diet sweetened sparkling water and love it....only 64 calories and plenty of drink volume so I can sip on it slowly....I'm not going for drunk. As for sharing the calories with eating, I'd cook up a big batch of hearty vegetables including potato, throw in a little protein and eat at about 300 calories before going out.
  • maura_tasi
    maura_tasi Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Since it's a pretty big drinking night (I love the night before thanksgiving haha) make sure you're having enough to eat for dinner so you don't hit the floor. I plan on going out with friends tonight as well, and with thanksgiving tomorrow, I'm planning on eating/drinking ~around~ maintenance for these next 2 days. Allow yourself the drinks, but don't go hungry while you're at it. It never ends well! 2 days of going over your allotted calories has no effect on your results in the long run.
  • merveozyalin
    Options
    Plan got canceled :/ But I know what to do now. Thanks everyone!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    well drink away. just go work it off tomorrow. here today, gone tomorrow, ENJOY YOUR LIFE!