It is okay, no really... You had little choice:)

So you have been exercising well, you know, getting better at the running, stairs do not seem so hard any more, some muscles are showing up, some people are getting you the "Oh lalala" looks recently and you are feeling pretty good... most days anyway.
But most importantly, following the often heard mantra of : Weightloss is at leat 85% diet" you have been eating right for days, weeks, months even (I sure did), counting the calories, picking up those fresh vegetables and fruits, avoiding them redder meats, the misnamed "treats" and reading labels. Life is sweet.
BUT THEN (And I know this well), out of the blue, for no discernible reason you go NUTS. Through no fault of your own you suddenly find yourself lost in the wrong aisle in the store, you pick up a 6 inch pumpkin cheesecake, take it home and sit and eat and eat and then is is gone, the entire thing. But your prowl is not over. Somehow porkchops or a large roast ended in your cart, then on in oven or stove, then, salivating, grinning, calculator well hidden (no counting now!!) you tear into it., one, two, three. hahaha, what does it matter, like something has come over you and you ain't stopping now... AHHH how good (sure soon after you go... OH, how full but right then... hahahaha, allright).
And then, right about when you are ready to burst and the calorie count might be in the 6 K plus range, you figure.... TIme for desert...again. Where are those new Magnum bars your loved one, in spite of your strict instructions, has brought into the house. One or two.. so what...
OH NO, WHAT Have I DONE. Such a failure! What? the scale says I gained 6 pounds in 1 DAY.. Oh the regrets, the misery... Have I gone insane??? WRONG!!. I discovered a simple explanation for this moment of feeding frenzy.
Because the truth is YOu had no no choice. You are following your "Biological imperative" (sounds cool eh:). Cast your mind to the dawn of time when most of us were still running around, doing a lot of grunting, loin cloths were optional and food hard to come by, even road kills were unheard of. Some nuts, some tubers, some berries and greens, some soft grubs perhaps, sensible stuff, low it the fats, little protein but fibre rich:). BUT then, once in a while you and your kin proved themselves Hunters". You snuck up on a gazelle, trapped a mammoth, treed an armadillo and then.. OH YEah, let the feasting begin. Fat dribbling, teeth tearing, eat, eat eat nobody better stop me now... b/c you knew this would not last. Soon it would be back to nuts and tubers and them little grubs again.
Now fast forward to day.. The times might have changed, the mammoths might have gone but OH how the ancient part of your brain remembers. So now, as you go down the aisle, picking up those veggies, suddenly the ancient part awakes, the HUNTER in you awakes and you sneak up on the roast, the fat-dribbling (albeit well disguised) Cheesecake and you pounce.. HAHA, success. Proudly you carry home your hunting trophies and remembering how fickle life can be, you eat and eat and eat. You see, you are simply doing what comes naturally...:). ( So when I finished of most of a Zuchini-Banana loaf yesterday, I was not being a failure... far from it.. I was being a hunter in his prime)
But let us be honest. Hunting today is not like hunting back then so pick your hunting days carefully, remind yourself that even the best of us came home with tubers most days, not yet another mammoth flank over our shoulder.
What is my point? When next you go on a food bender don't flagellate yourself. Simply grunt and say: "Me good hunter, yeah". But then do not show of and pretend that you can be that successful every day. Be honest and give those veggies and fruits their due, your ancient brain should remember those to:) and LIFE will be good.

P.s. My next hunting success will be in 10 days at our local ribfest:) I shall be awesome, no rib to quick to escape my grasp.. until then its fruits and vegs and grubs:)

Replies

• TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    I guess I nailed my woolly mammoth last night. *sheepish grin*
  • SCC88
    SCC88 Posts: 215 Member
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :laugh: OMGEEE you have to laugh - you just described me all over!
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    great post = )
  • deb62pink
    deb62pink Posts: 84 Member
    I love it!!!
  • ItsTerriC
    ItsTerriC Posts: 436 Member
    Excellent post. I've never felt guilty for eating anything. I know that I do fine most days. When I don't, then I don't. Now I have another way of looking at it. So far I've "blamed" it on being too stubborn to give up everything I like forever. I'm not stubborn, I'm just following my natural instincts. Love it!
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    As someone who's managed to beat her inner caveman (so far) I would have the been the caveman who was eaten by the saber-tooth tiger.
  • 46and2
    46and2 Posts: 167
    I like your take on life!
  • That is the single greatest explanation I have heard. I think that describes soooo many of us! Thanks for a great morning giggle!!!
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Cute.
  • rschmmidt
    rschmmidt Posts: 296
    That's the right attitude! Love it - this was a cheerful way for me to start today, thanks for posting!